PDA

View Full Version : Cost of friends or family attending graduation ?

Oohrah Devildog
03-30-10, 06:11 PM
Im am set to leave for boot camp in a month or so and wanted to know the cost of graduation for family and or friends i am currently living in staten island NY ? Thank you for your time and help Marines. :flag:

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 06:42 PM
It's kinda hard to put a price tag on how much it's going to cost for your family & friends. I was saving $$$ for about 5-6 months even "before" my nephew left for boot camp so I didn't have to worry about coming up with all that money at once.
How are they traveling...car, plane, bus, train? Start checking into prices for airfare now if they are flying, but don't get the tickets just yet. Have them wait until you are done with 2nd phase.
As for rooms....my brother and I stayed over at Beaufort Air Station. And yes, civilians can stay there too. Just need to bring info on the car you are driving...either your own if traveling that way or a rental.
The rooms at Beaufort are much nicer than the ones out in town, and they smell cleaner too. My sister, her husband, and her daughter and her husband, stayed at the Days Inn I believe, and they had a miserable time there. Rooms stunk, and were nasty looking.
Then there's spending money to eat and if you want to buy some t-shirts at the PX.

So...I believe my airfare ticket was around $260 round trip, plus another $25 each way for my bag that was being checked in to go under the plane. I went half with my brother on the rental...around $55, plus a few $$$ to fill the tank back up before we took it back. Another $55 for the room at Beaufort...went half on that too and he got his military discount also. Then there's money to eat and then go shopping :D and to do whatever else you want to do!

I hope this helps some. :thumbup:

xbh
03-30-10, 07:24 PM
Are they planning on flying to Parris Island? Air fare isn't cheap.

If you want to go home on boot leave as well you will have to set up travel with SATO (while at boot) which is going to be taken out of your paycheck. So keep that in mind.

echo3oscar1833
03-30-10, 09:15 PM
What is up with all of the how do I get home after boot, and family at graduations questions. Two in here, and the kiddies got one going in their little play pen as well. :p

Phantom Blooper
03-30-10, 09:30 PM
Todays economy most have to plan a getaway or trip...financially.

The height of boot camp season is coming up.With graduating from school.

I can understand the fervor....but asking the same questions over and over is redundant.

I wish the "Dear Chili" threads were never shut down.:evilgrin:

Oohrah Devildog
03-30-10, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your time Marines esp. WMarine :) this will be very helpful

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 09:47 PM
You're Welcome....and just remember, the money that I spent on my travel will be different for your family & friends, if they decide to come see you graduate. At least you have an idea of what to tell them.

Now concentrate on getting yourself prepared for boot camp!