PDA

View Full Version : Just got orders to Okinawa

OhioGuy
03-30-10, 01:25 PM
I recently found out that I'll be headed to Okinawa. I'm basically just lookig for some opinions and thoughts on the place. Did you like it? Ever been to camp kinser? Anyone in 3rd maintenance battallion? Thanks in advance for your input Marines.

TJR1070
03-30-10, 02:05 PM
Loved it, Kinser is a good starting point when going to Naha (and if the sunken ship is still in the bay float a cooler to it and hang out), wasn't in 3rd Maintenance Battalion, and one piece of advice "Don't eat the banana"!!! Have fun Bro, it's a great duty station for a young single Marine. Air Force girls are hot too.

Lisa 23
03-30-10, 02:11 PM
I was at Camp Kinser...3rd Supply BN, and I loved it. It was a great place when I was there in 1988-89, but I'm sure it's changed a lot since then.

OhioGuy
03-30-10, 02:11 PM
Sounds good to me. Thanks Corporal. I'll be 20 like a month after I get there. Can I drink? I've heard different things on that topic..

gwamo1
03-30-10, 02:14 PM
Camp Kinser might be one of the best bases in the world. It's small and noone ever seemed to care what you did. Surfside was a good place to drink at, and all the barracks were really close so you could stumble back to them. The pool was nice and so was the gym. Like TJR1070 said, it's close to Naha, which is more good times. The PX is small compared to other bases, but that's not really a problem as you can take the greenline to the other camps for free.

gwamo1
03-30-10, 02:15 PM
Sounds good to me. Thanks Corporal. I'll be 20 like a month after I get there. Can I drink? I've heard different things on that topic..

Yes, the drinking age is 20. It makes turning 21 not such of a big deal. Did for me anyways haha.

Zulu 36
03-30-10, 02:19 PM
Don't worry about drinking. That should be the last thing on your mind to do.

If you like scuba diving, Okinawa is a diver's paradise. You can learn to dive too if you want.

Exploring old battlefields isn't as exciting anymore as Oki has become so heavily built up since I was there in 1972 and in 1974-75.

Okinawa is like anyplace you go: it's what you make of it. Get away from the big towns and find the smaller villages up north to visit.

TJR1070
03-30-10, 02:42 PM
Good advice about the diving, picked up my open water in Oki then advanced and search and salvage when I was in Cali. Best diving I've ever done was in Okinawa and on Courtney you can walk out of your barracks down the steps and into the ocean. It should be similiar on Kinser.

echo3oscar1833
03-30-10, 03:37 PM
Man I always wanted to go to Okinawa. Best of luck to you, and enjoy it. :marine:

OhioGuy
03-30-10, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Sounds like there's enough there to keep me occupied..

ARTYPIG
03-30-10, 03:54 PM
I loved the Rock as well. I was at Foster and the E-Club there was the best I've seen in the Corps it was called the Globe and Anchor back in 89. Had to warm up there before heading out to BC Street as the beers then were about $7. You'll have a great time, just don't end up at the jail in Naha!

TinDragon
03-30-10, 04:05 PM
I loved the Rock as well. I was at Foster and the E-Club there was the best I've seen in the Corps it was called the Globe and Anchor back in 89. Had to warm up there before heading out to BC Street as the beers then were about $7. You'll have a great time, just don't end up at the jail in Naha!

Still called the Globe & Anchor! They did move it though.

thewookie
03-30-10, 04:07 PM
Yeah babay! If you find a grass ninja looking mamasan about 70 years old with one tooth -- tell her the wookie said hello! She was like 55 when I knew her but those chicks last forever. My only regret is that I didn't know that she only had one tooth before I got long-time. :sick: Or I would have gotten short-time. :p

Seriously though,, great diving off Kinser.... and eat at least one banana!

OhioGuy
03-30-10, 04:40 PM
Haha Roger that. Someone care to explain the banana? Lol

OhioGuy
03-30-10, 04:46 PM
Nevermind... Thank you urbandictionary.com
haha lmao

Silentwarrior17
03-31-10, 12:32 AM
Oh man did I love the grass ninjas over there. I couldn't believe how old some of those people were and still trucking. And word to the wise...Go and see the banana, but wouldn't recommend eating it. After you see WHO it came from you'll, get my drift.

CplAllen
03-31-10, 05:47 AM
Listen brother, Okinawa is one of the best duty stations in the Marine Corps. You willl train hard and play hard and it will be a great experience. That whole year I was there (2001-2002) was honestly one of the best years of my LIFE. I know it sounds dumb but it's true. SO many things happened to me during those years (Sept. 11th, getting put on the MEU) it really changed me. Not to mention the island is incredibly beautiful with some of the worlds best snorkeling and diving. Just stay out of trouble and like a lot of the guys have said already, it's all what you make it. If your into a little booze to wind down, check out Kinville right outside of Camp Hansen. Good times.

maspotente2
03-31-10, 06:36 AM
I was stationed in Oki (74-75) at Camp Foster & TAD to Futemna. The EM Club was good. It was the same style building as the barracks I lived in. I did a lot of snorkling around the Camp Courtney area. It was great. I was able to check out some of the old battlefields. Have a great time! Watch out for the JP's.

gwamo1
03-31-10, 08:44 AM
Eat The Banana! Eat The Banana!

kaboom1371
03-31-10, 09:13 AM
The Rock was awesome.. take lots of pictures. beautiful place and not far to go to the coast. lol

mamasan will do all your laundry and press them all. pappason will shine your boots for you..

nothing but a good time in Oki.

poppin60t
03-31-10, 11:27 AM
Best year I spent in the Corps.. Oki was a blast in 85 (what I can rember of it) was FAPPED to almost every base on the island. Originally PCS to 3rd maint Bn. 3rd ELMACO at Kinser...CSSD to Korea and some time in the PI,,,yeah ,,it was great.....suddenly want a San Miguel!!

Semper FI Baby

Juicemang
03-31-10, 02:15 PM
My two biggest regrets from my time on active duty were not chopping out to a MEU, and not getting a chance to see Okinawa. Maybe some day I'll get my chance.

Kegler300
03-31-10, 02:28 PM
Two tours on Okinawa, enjoyed both. I suggest you get a driver's license and a car to get the full experience.

Ed Palmer
03-31-10, 02:30 PM
http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/About%20Okinawa/Okinawa%20Map%20Page.html

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/About%20Okinawa/OkiMap.gif

Zebra29er
03-31-10, 06:23 PM
Eat The Banana! Eat The Banana!

And a few boiled eggs LOL

TJR1070
04-02-10, 04:38 PM
Balut anyone?

Zulu 36
04-02-10, 04:45 PM
Balut anyone?

Ewww. I'd rather eat nouc mam.

HOWARDROARK3043
04-02-10, 04:56 PM
boots are told three things

when you come to okinawa you will either

1)become a pt stud
2)become an alcoholic
3)become religious

Quinbo
04-02-10, 05:17 PM
Gotta love them grass ninjas. Freakin 9 million degrees outside and 1 million percent humidity and they are wearing 3 layers of clothes. Spend all day mowing huge lawns with a weed eater. For lunch they all sit around and eat fish heads and rice. Never see em take a drink of water or even go use the bathroom..... just all day out there with a weed eater.

TinDragon
04-02-10, 06:04 PM
boots are told three things

when you come to okinawa you will either

1)become a pt stud
2)become an alcoholic
3)become religious
You forgot "become a video gamer". Although come to think of it, a lot of people play video games when they're drunk, which is pretty much when they're not working.

Izzame2
04-02-10, 07:00 PM
Congrats on your orders. You'll enjoy the rock and hopefully transportation there has changed since I flew over in 78 aboard Flying Tigers airlines.That was the worst part of doing duty on Okinawa because it was a 17 hour flight.You weren't in the air the whole time but, the flight stopped in Alaska,Kyoto and Iwakuni before going on to Okinawa.It was worse on the way back because we had to leave the plane in several places and dump our sea bags so they could be searched by customs.

ameriken
04-02-10, 07:47 PM
Wow, this thread brought back some memories. I think you get the drift...you'll love Oki. Hopefully your unit will catch float somewhere and enhance the experience.

BTW, fvck the balut, pass me a San Miguel.

Quinbo
04-02-10, 07:55 PM
You mean you've never sat on the curb on masai sai street and eating monkey meat on a stick then choked down a duck egg? You got cheated ;)

ameriken
04-02-10, 09:11 PM
I choked down a duck egg then upchucked the duck egg. :sick:
Like I said, fvck the balut and pass me a San Miguel. :beer:

Quinbo
04-02-10, 09:17 PM
I thought the beak was kinda crunchy but over all it tasted like chicken soup. Kinda had to gag down the feathers though.

TJR1070
04-02-10, 10:17 PM
You were lucky if it was monkey meat on that stick! My cousin did MSG at Subic Bay and he said they used to catch the locals swimming across sh!t river and going to the dump where they would collect all the discarded meat scraps.

What I wouldn't give for one more weekend int the PI, take a yellow to a blue (jeepnie that is), and let your dreams come true.

AAV Crewchief
04-02-10, 10:20 PM
I recently found out that I'll be headed to Okinawa. I'm basically just lookig for some opinions and thoughts on the place. Did you like it? Ever been to camp kinser? Anyone in 3rd maintenance battallion? Thanks in advance for your input Marines.

Kinser is for pogues...LOL

Real Marines go to Schwab!

Stay away from the middle school aged locals and you will do OK.

Izzame2
04-03-10, 05:59 AM
Eat the banana! Eat the banana!

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/two_girls_one_banana.jpg

CplAllen
04-03-10, 06:07 AM
Real Marines go to Schwab!

This

If you do a year here and keep your sanity then your the man. Very nice beach here though.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 06:31 AM
Also, you have not lived until you have chowed down on some taco rice and cheese from Kinville. Drunk or sober, the best stuff in the world.

thewookie
04-03-10, 06:55 AM
You were lucky if it was monkey meat on that stick! My cousin did MSG at Subic Bay and he said they used to catch the locals swimming across sh!t river and going to the dump where they would collect all the discarded meat scraps.

What I wouldn't give for one more weekend int the PI, take a yellow to a blue (jeepnie that is), and let your dreams come true.

Not to hijack, but there's nothing like counting your pesos and smelling sh*t river as you walk over to Gordon St or Ma-sigh-sigh Blvd for some good ole monkey meat....... NOTHING like the PI.

TinDragon
04-03-10, 07:16 AM
Also, you have not lived until you have chowed down on some taco rice and cheese from Kinville. Drunk or sober, the best stuff in the world.

Taco rice is pretty damn good. I know they serve it at the Palms on Hansen, and at I think at both Casa Taco and Obligatos out in Uruma.

thewookie
04-03-10, 11:45 AM
Back to Oki: there was nothing like getting real sheety at the E-Club on Hansen, for practically nothing. After the Club closed, we would walk over to the 3rd Marines barracks, steal/acquire/borrow an unlocked mountain bike (there was usually three or four unlocked in the bike rack always waiting to be used.) Then, we'd ride up to the gate, leave the bikes at the gate in the bike rack, walk across the street and devour a taco, rice and cheese (loaded up with ketchup) and wash it down with a chicken leg - the size of a small dog.

Next day, wake-up at 0500 and go PT.
So much fun on Oki. Good clean fun. :scared:

Zulu 36
04-03-10, 12:13 PM
and wash it down with a chicken leg - the size of a small dog.

The leg probably was from a small dog.

CplAllen
04-03-10, 12:47 PM
For some reason, PT at 05:00 while hungover and virtually no sleep was almost FUN on Okinawa. Our LT would say "Ok, we're going to run until EVERYONE pukes at least once" He wasn't kidding.

coffeejoejava
04-05-10, 01:33 PM
Okinawa is the best duty station in the Corps. Camp Kinser is the gateway to Naha. Scuba diving is the best in the world there. Cheap to get certified as well. Do not stay on base and cry about how much Okinawa sucks. GET OUT INTO THE POPULACE!!!! Lived there for 8 years. First time, they had to force me to come back to CONUS!! Went there with the impression that Oki sucked. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Frankly I am jealous. I would love to be a Corporal again and do it all over again.

gwamo1
04-05-10, 03:02 PM
Even though I already said it, I'll say it again to agree with the general concensus. Camp Kinser is one of the best duty stations in the world. I did not do as much SCUBA diving as I did diving to the bottom of a bottle.