PDA

View Full Version : Book about GySgt John Basilone

USNAviator
03-28-10, 04:05 PM
Marines

I recall having read that James Brady's final book would be about GySgt Basilone. It was published in December;

"Hero of the Pacific" by James Brady

Brady was a Marine and Korea veteran. He is also the author of "Why Marines Fight"

I found it on Amazon. If you have any interest in the subject, I'm sure it will be worthwhile

Dan

jetdawgg
03-28-10, 05:19 PM
http://excerpts.contentreserve.com/FormatType-425/1556-1/261800-HeroOfThePacific.mp3

Rocky C
03-28-10, 06:00 PM
RIP Marine.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

James Winston Brady (November 15, 1928 – January 26, 2009)
"Hero of the Pacific" by James Brady was his last book to be published.........

USNAviator
03-28-10, 06:06 PM
Rocky glad to see you are up and about and thank you for the respect given to Mr, Brady. A great writer who loved his Corps!! Are the fish biting off Jamestown yet?????

Rocky C
03-28-10, 06:13 PM
Rocky glad to see you are up and about and thank you for the respect given to Mr, Brady. A great writer who loved his Corps!! Are the fish biting off Jamestown yet?????

Hi Dan,
I'm getting there slow but sure.
Thank you for posting that about Our Brother Marines Book.
Just got released so that was a Great Heads Up for Everyone here.

Jamestown :thumbup:.
Can't wait!!!

Thank you Commander,

Semper Fi,
Rocky

USNAviator
03-28-10, 06:55 PM
Rocky

Good to hear a positive report, medical wise!! It was my pleasure to post the info re Gunny Basilone. It seems the Corps, unlike any other service, produces such individuals. And thank God they do!!!

Stay well Rocky

Dan

Izzame2
03-29-10, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up on "Hero of the Pacific" book.I've added it to the list of books I hope to read.I plan on reading these books as well: Helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie, With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge, Through The Wheat: The Marines in WW1 by Edwin H. Simmons.

rickyracer
03-29-10, 04:08 AM
I will buy it to!

USNAviator
03-29-10, 06:54 AM
I have read both Leckie and Sledges' books. Leckie wrote his in the late 50's I believe and does not use the real names of any of his fellow Marines. In fact, if I recall, he's referred to as Lucky

Sledge wrote his much later and does use real names. I remember reading that he had a hard time dealing with his service in the Corps and writing the book was a cathartic experience. Both are good reads!!

DocGreek
03-29-10, 07:06 AM
:iwo:......James Bradley....HM3, who helped raise the SECOND flag on Mt. Surabachi. His son has written about his Dad, several times.
REST IN PEACE, BROTHER.....
SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....:iwo: