PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting With a College Degree

ascarybear
03-28-10, 01:54 PM
Hi,
I am a junior in college right now. Enlisting in the Marines is something I've always wanted to do, but a combination of family pressure and the fact that I've done well academically and am planning to go to medical school have prevented me from seriously considering it. Over the past few months I've decided I'm going to enlist after I graduate, and see if I can't go to med school after that. It may be a bad idea, but that's what I'm going to do.

Now when I say enlist, I mean enlist, I have no desire to be an officer. I'm not a natural leader, I accept that and am willing to work around it. My question is am I a total idiot for thinking that, and that the qualities needed to be an officer can be learned? Is enlisting with a 4 year degree a bad idea? I'm not joining the Marines for anything other than to be a Marine- what I mean by that is I don't care that being an officer looks better on my resume later, or that I could get useful technical training by doing something other than infantry, that's not what I'm interested in.

Lastly, not to sound defensive, but don't think I'm some fat nerd- I've traded most of the partying in college for studying and working out . I'm an physically fit nerd, haha.

EdtheHun
03-28-10, 02:12 PM
I first enlisted with some college behind me. I finished my degree and got a commission after three years active duty. There are plenty of smart enlisted with and without college education.

I can say that if you are not determined to be an officer and do not desire to be a leader you will not make it through officer candidate school. I can also say that being enlisted is more fun because there are more people your rank to hang out with, and your work is more hands-on. That said, I'm proud to have been an active commissioned officer, and I like to think I've had a positive effect on a greater number of lives and on the Marine Corps than I would have if I'd remained enlisted.
Enjoy your time in the Corps!

ascarybear
03-29-10, 03:34 PM
Thank you, that is basically what I figured, I just wanted to ask someone who knew what they were talking about. Thanks!