PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to have second thoughts?

usmchopefull
03-28-10, 05:01 AM
I've wanted to be in the Marine Corps. since 6th grade, but now that I'm almost finished with high school and am close to actually joining up, I'm having some doubt. Basically I'm questioning myself whether I have what it takes to be part of the few and the proud. I find myself asking questions like: What if I die? What if my entire life so far amounts to being shot by some flintstone with an AK? I know I would be serving my country, but there's still that kind of feeling. How could I leave my parents and all I love behind? By having to ask this question have I, in fact, answered my own question?? I'm also kind of nervous asking this question on this site which is, for the most part, people who are part of the few and the proud. I'm hoping I've come to the right place.

Anyway, is it normal to question yourself or to have any doubt before joining? Did you?

Also if I'm posting in the wrong place or doing something blatantly wrong don't get top mad, I'm obviously new here.

Garyius
03-28-10, 10:18 AM
Yep, you are in the wrong spot. They like to keep this board for folks who are or have been Marines.

Why do you want to be a Marine? The uniform, the history, the group pride? The fighting?

There are plenty of jobs in the Corps besides combat arms. Those same types of jobs exist in the army and air force. You will actully live worse as an enlisted man in the Corps then if you were in the army, much less the air force.

I would advise anyone to avoid the navy, about 1/3 of the guys live very well, better than the army, and the rest live like crap and work 20 hour days. Too much risk of a really bad time.

tdrt
03-28-10, 10:38 AM
Of course it's normal to have second thoughts about any major life changes but you can't automatically assume the worse. Like Gary said, not all MOSs are combat related.

And you could just as easily get hit by a bus tomorrow so stop worrying about it and just live and enjoy your life!

Only you can answer if you think you have what it takes.

sgtstucker
03-28-10, 11:12 AM
I had second thoughts too..oh wait thats when I was getting married. Turned out I was right on that one.

Komenko
03-28-10, 12:01 PM
I've had second thoughts while in boot camp, but i looked at the overall picture and it turned out for the best. and both garyius and tdrt are right! as for sgtstucker i've done the same thing with my first wife. as for my second wife its working better than what i thought!

Danny C Smith
03-28-10, 04:04 PM
If you are having second thoughts don't do it.
Just my .02

Smitty:usmc: Never a second thought:flag:

firedog974
03-28-10, 04:06 PM
Everyone has fear and doubt. How you handle fear and doubt will determine what you achieve in life.

Beltayn
03-28-10, 04:29 PM
No reason why you can't spend a couple years in the civilian world living it up a little bit before joining.
The years right out of high school are the most free you will ever be in your entire life. No reason to sign away that freedom to the Corps if you aren't 100% sure it's what you want yet. The USMC will still be here in a year or two. We aren't going anywhere, and neither is this war.

ARTYPIG
03-28-10, 04:52 PM
Having doubts is normal for some people. It doesn't matter what branch you join, death could always be right around the corner and it doesn't have to be the enemy, it can happen in training, thats why you do exactly as your told when your told to do it. I think I can speak for most of us when I say that the Corps is bigger than any one Marine and takes everyones sacrifice to make the Corps what it is.

If you are having doubts don't do as if you don't like it you'll be a s h i t bird and give Marines a bad name, or you'll get someone else killed.