PDA

View Full Version : To the Shores of Iwo Jima

USNAviator
03-27-10, 07:52 PM
Marines.

I've been looking for this for awhile. It's the 1945 Academy Award nominated Documentary "To the Shores of Iwo Jima" No John Wayne, no Hollywood props just real Marines getting the job done. It runs about 20 minutes but amazing of all, it was filmed in color, a rarity during WW2. I'm not going to say enjoy but rather admire and respect those who came before you.

http://www.archive.org/details/iwojima

Dan

DocGreek
03-27-10, 11:16 PM
:iwo:.....Commander, this short film is the best one I've seen about Iwo Jima. All those Marines, and Corpsmen gave the ultimate payment for our country.
GOD BLESS EVERY ONE OF THEM!!
SEMPER FIDELIS.....Doc Greek....:iwo:

USNAviator
03-28-10, 05:47 AM
Glad you enjoyed Doc. I had no idea Iwo had so many rock ledges. It was my impression it was similar to Tarawa. Obviously I was wrong. The color blew me away

And yes those Marines and Corpsmen were something special!!! But that didn't surprise me!!!!!!

Stay well

Dan

Izzame2
03-28-10, 07:45 AM
Great video! :thumbup: I don't know if anyone else caught it or not but, toward the end of the video when the Marines were going through the the personal gear of the fallen,they showed the a pack with Basilone J. stamped on it.That appeared to be the pack of Marine Gunny John Basilone the medal of honor winner of Guadalcanal who was killed on Iwo Jima.

jetdawgg
03-28-10, 08:07 AM
Great drop here. The color could be due to the fact that it is a Warner bros Film
and at one point Ted turner made a lot of movies color:usmc:

USNAviator
03-28-10, 09:02 AM
WOW, good eyes Marine!!! I did not catch that. But it would make sense they would show the Gunny's pack. I belive there is or will be a book about the Gunny out soon. I'll check on that.