PDA

View Full Version : Getting LCpl on PTAD

xbh
03-27-10, 05:39 PM
Hi Marines-

I am seeking your advice/opinions about getting your crossed rifles from PTAD (recruiters assistance)? Is it a bad idea? Do you think any less of Marines who earn it that way rather than time in grade? A LCpl here told me he doesn't like Marines who earn his rank by PTAD because there's more leadership and responsibility required.

I'm getting meritoriously promoted to PFC (April 2nd) a few weeks earlier than my 6 months time in service. I got my second referral, my younger brother to sign up.

My mos school likely won't be picking up for possibly 6 months and I'll have the option to take PTAD here soon. So there is the opportunity available to get promoted once again.

Thanks for your time.

ARTYPIG
03-27-10, 05:43 PM
Take it. It's your career not anyone else's so don't fall into peer pressure because someone else doesn't want to take advantage to get promotions. The leadership will come that's what you have NCO's for to teach you. I did RA a couple of times and had a ball!

Rocky C
03-27-10, 05:47 PM
Take it. It's your career not anyone else's so don't fall into peer pressure because someone else doesn't want to take advantage to get promotions. The leadership will come that's what you have NCO's for to teach you. I did RA a couple of times and had a ball!

Well Said :usmc::thumbup::usmc:

Beltayn
03-27-10, 07:01 PM
Personally I'd think it would be more valuable to get credit for recruiting people that you know once you are already a LCPL, so that it will count towards your composite score for CPL, rather than just save you a few months on a rank that you will pick up in the natural course of events anyway.

polizei
03-27-10, 07:23 PM
x2 I would wait if you can...it will give you 100 points (if you get 5 people) towards Cpl. But of course that is a year TIG...so really it's your call.

I would probably just pick it up now if you can.

Socal2361
03-27-10, 08:24 PM
I agree use it towards Cpl, because that rank isn't guaranteed, Lcpl is.

Komenko
03-27-10, 08:48 PM
Do it now cause you can always do it again. I've known Marines to take PTAD while in the fleet for Recruiter's Assistance. Plus pick up now wait nine months before you rate a score for Cpl and then take PTAD again if you can get it Approved! Its your career and more than likely you'll end up as a recruiter for your B billet! seems they always need more people out in the schools!

thezero
03-27-10, 09:05 PM
Your going to be a crypto linguist and don't have the smarts to make a career moving decision? Naw just messing with ya. Honestly I tried to get Lance while I was on RA after boot, I am one referall away. BUT I only have a couple months before I pick up Lance, the 9 months goes quick, but if you want that 200 dollar pay difference then pick it up ASAP.

echo3oscar1833
03-27-10, 09:05 PM
Like I always say if you can better yourself, and get promoted go for it. Nothing wrong with it, as long as you prove that you earned the rank given to you:beer:

jackson07
03-27-10, 10:59 PM
You are going to Monterey to attend DLI. Who told you that you won't class up for possibly 6 months? I attended DLI, and know its current Marine staff. Let me know, and I will get you the real answer.

Beltayn
03-28-10, 12:56 PM
You are going to Monterey to attend DLI. Who told you that you won't class up for possibly 6 months? I attended DLI, and know its current Marine staff. Let me know, and I will get you the real answer.

This.
Spending 6 months in casuals seems extremely strange, given then tempo of training at DLI. 1 month, maybe, if your timing sucks.

Have you been assigned a language yet? I'd assume you have been, or else you wouldn't know how long it would be before your class picks up. What language?
As a former DLI student, I'd give you the honest advice that, as appealing as picking up LCPL early or simply getting 30 days of "free leave" may seem, you really, really should forget all that and use the time you have now getting a HEAD START on your language. Get with other Marines in your platoon and join their study groups. Borrow their textbooks and ask for them to help drill you in the vocabulary and introductory grammar. Practice the number systems while PTing.

DLI language training is no joke. You can expect up to 50 vocabularly words per night to have letter perfect by the next day and get tested on for grade.
Any advantage you can get before your class picks up you will need. Back when I was there, it was almost expected that you have that head start.

Consider very carefully whether getting some "free leave" is more important to you than potentially screwing up your career at a very important stage.

CplGiraffe
03-28-10, 03:17 PM
No disrespect but unless you are pretty lucky 3-4 months is the minimum time for picking up class. I waited October-April. DLI has changed since the last year or two. The amount of Marines here is exponentially more than before. With that, we don't have the class seats to match the influx of new Marines which causes the wait time to grow. Current Marines coming in are getting class start dates next fall. And for the record, get LCpl, go for it, but other lances probably won't like it because they waited for theirs instead of working to get it.

Beltayn
03-28-10, 03:53 PM
Interesting that the delay has increased so dramatically.

If your concern is to truly "work hard to earn advancement" though, I'd still argue that your time is much better spent getting a head start on your language at DLI, than kicking back on the block on some "free leave".

To be fair, not every recruiter is the same, and not every experience with recruiter's assistance is the same.
I've seen:
-Marines go home on PTAD, work their tails off for recruiters until ungodly hours of the night, barely get to see their families or have time off, and then not get credit for a single recruit because the recruiter was struggling to meet their own quota that month and the Marine has to go home with nothing.
-Marines go home on PTAD, and all they have to do is phone their recruiter every couple days to check in and maybe run some PT with poolees once and a while. They spend 30 days of almost uninterrupted "free leave" and then go back with free automatic meritorious promotions because the recruiter "hooked them up" and gave them credit for a bunch of recruits that the Marine never even talked to personally.

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but from personal experience I've never seen someone get RA that didn't end up either "boned" or "hooked up".
What I've definitely NEVER seen was someone who received a meritorious promotion to LCPL via RA who could honestly look their peers in the eye and claim they "deserved it because they worked hard".

If you want some free leave, or if you have a recruiter that will hook you up, go for it.
But don't be under any illusions about how you'll be working so much harder and earning advancement for yourself by being squared away.

Ask yourself if a really honestly squared away Marine would spend the preparatory time worrying about finding new recruits, or getting themselves ready to excel in their assigned MOS at one of the hardest MOS schools in the entire Marine Corps.

xbh
03-28-10, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies Marines. Like Moss said, I've been told by quite a few junior Marines and nco's that some of the classes weren't starting until October.

I should be assigned a language by next week is what I'm told. If it's going to be like 6 months wait I think I'll go for recruiters assistance for a month. But also take that time to get ahead in the language.

xbh
03-28-10, 04:08 PM
Beltayn- I see what you're saying about free leave and spending this time to study hard. But I see PTAD also as an opportunity to: get my stuff from home, talk to the poolees & younger brother about boot & Marine Corps, help out the recruiting office, and possibly earn a promotion. I am going to take the schooling very seriously though.

Beltayn
03-28-10, 04:24 PM
One thing worth considering is that, once your DLI course DOES start, opportunities to take leave will be very few and far between. Mostly just one brief Class Break approximately midway through your course, as well as major holidays like Christmas. When I was there they gave pretty significant homework over 96s and weekends too, so going home on short visits was rough.

If you feel that a stint of RA while you're waiting to pick up class will help you get set up for the long term of your schooling, then fair enough. You could use it as an opportunity to get your car to DLI, depending on how far away home is for you.
As far as getting your "stuff" from home, it doesn't take PTAD to have your mom throw some of your civies and your CDs in a cardboard box and mail them to you. You should already have your full boot camp issue with you, as well as several sets of civies. Anything that it would be rough to get mailed to you I'd think twice about bringing to DLI. You're going to regret having that XBOX and PS3 sitting there taunting you once your class starts and you have to find the mental fortitude to keep studying.

Just food for thought.

CplGiraffe
03-28-10, 07:53 PM
You could use it as an opportunity to get your car to DLI, depending on how far away home is for you.

I went on PTAD and brought my car back in the process, it was worthwhile in that way.

ARTYPIG
03-28-10, 08:38 PM
I was reading the comments about waiting until your a LCPL to do RA. Seems to me that if you do it now and pick up LCPL your TIS and TIG will start earlier than your peers. I did RA as a LCPL and CPL. Helped both times. They then requested me again but I couldn't go. Not long after that HQMC screwed up and sent orders for 95% of the SNCO's and NCO's got orders for recruiting school. Found out it was suppose to be only 5%. I'm sure you will make the right decision. But RA sure as hell beats working parties waiting for school.

haebyungdae
03-28-10, 10:58 PM
Do PTAD, go home, and most importantly have fun while you still can. You will have plenty of time to study and stress out about school once you start.

Artypig is right, and also, do it now while you still can because once you start class you won't be really able to do PTAD.

echo3oscar1833
03-28-10, 11:12 PM
Like I said its your career man, take charge get promoted who gives a crap what others think. Make Sgt by 4, and Staff by 5-7 nothing wrong with it. :beer:

JoshLittle
03-29-10, 01:15 AM
Brother, listen. Do you want to earn your crossed rifles before any of the other Marines you are with right now? I would. Hell, when I go on Pre Deployment leave in August (granted I will already be a LCpl) I am going to get all of the referrals as possible. They help you in the long run, getting LCpl before any of your peers will help you pick up Cpl quicker, just be sure to order your MCIs soon, like, now would be the best time to get them if you want to get LCpl on PTAD.

TinDragon
03-29-10, 07:12 AM
Maybe what I've noticed about DLI isn't true, but most of those folks pick up Corporal shortly after graduating the school without getting Lance with PTAD or anything. If rank is the primary reason to do PTAD, I vote not to do it.

kaboom1371
03-29-10, 07:31 AM
who would you follow in a fire fight? a Cpl that got his rank from recruiting or a Pfc or Lcpl that had experience that won't freeze because **** goes bad.. you can't side step experience.

haebyungdae
03-29-10, 07:49 AM
Tin, when I was there the Crypto Ling MOSs had a lull in promoting so it took a long time. That has since sped up and everyone and there mother was picking up Cpl and Sgt just for breathing, but because of that it looks like there might be another slow down in promotions. This is most likely especially true for 2673s since all the FTAP boat spaces are full.

Like people are saying, ITS YOUR CAREER, DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO HELP YOURSELF.

With that said, don't suck at your language or I will find you and life your azz, just kidding I don't believe in yelling.

xbh
03-30-10, 07:15 PM
Thanks again for all the advice Marines. Just curious, is there certain requirements for e-1 to e-3's? Do I need to get certain MCI's done before LCpl?

CplGiraffe
03-30-10, 07:21 PM
No it is time in grade alone or by recruiting 2 for LCpl (additional). From LCpl to Cpl it is run on cutting scores, check out MOL under the tools and try your composite score and changing values to see what you get and how it is affected. From LCpl to Cpl you will need to put in a few MCIs... or atleast I think it is recommended. I know personally I will have my max 7 in so that I can take advantage of the 100 extra points for my score.

On the other note, April scores were just released and 2674 is the only one to have a promotion to Cpl or Sgt right now. 2676 hasn't seen numbers in many months, I would have to check to see exactly how long but it's been a while. I don't know about the others as it doesn't effect me. I know I will do all I can to have the best score I can, I would suggest any other Marine do the same.

Komenko
03-30-10, 08:07 PM
who would you follow in a fire fight? a Cpl that got his rank from recruiting or a Pfc or Lcpl that had experience that won't freeze because **** goes bad.. you can't side step experience.

Hence while he is getting it before his school starts! how can you gain experience if you don't get a challange and set goals out! Experience can be gained while he is in school and on PTAD helping his recruiter out! What experience are you gonna gain from a working party picking up trash or cleaning the company office! Field training, Classroom training, and leadership traits he discovers about himself will be where he gains it!

Beltayn
03-31-10, 02:08 PM
On the other note, April scores were just released and 2674 is the only one to have a promotion to Cpl or Sgt right now. 2676 hasn't seen numbers in many months, I would have to check to see exactly how long but it's been a while. I don't know about the others as it doesn't effect me. I know I will do all I can to have the best score I can, I would suggest any other Marine do the same.

2671 (the middle eastern languages) was in the 1720 range for CPL for a while up until they closed it this past couple times.
Good luck with that. There are MOSs where the cutting score for SGT is a hundred points lower.

USMCM38A1
03-31-10, 03:23 PM
Take it while you can get it .Depending on cutting scores some Mos are impossible to get promoted others are cake walks for CPL.Get the rank and the extra pay as soon as you can plus it will help your cutting score with tig .

Beltayn
03-31-10, 09:04 PM
TIG only gives you 20 points per quarter. Even if you meritoriously pick up LCPL the very next month after picking up PFC (which I'm not even sure is physically possible), you're only realistically looking at a 40 point cutting score lead on someone who earns LCPL via TIG.
On the other hand, you can earn up to 100 points via recruiting by doing RA while a LCPL.