PDA

View Full Version : MCO 1130.80A am I reading this right?

Wannabe Retread
03-27-10, 05:32 AM
Good day to all. This is my first time posting a thread. I'm a prior service Marine hoping to get back in. Assuming that I qualify, what are my options? I will go back to my old MOS (3533) until I can Lat move. According to this order, I can re-enlist in the Marine Corps under the FTAP program until I'm 39 years old. I'm currently 32 and served 4 years active duty in the Marines. Can someone tell me if I'm reading this right?

Thank you

Semper Fi

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 06:00 AM
Good day to all. This is my first time posting a thread. I'm a prior service Marine hoping to get back in. Assuming that I qualify, what are my options? I will go back to my old MOS (3533) until I can Lat move. According to this order, I can re-enlist in the Marine Corps under the FTAP program until I'm 39 years old. I'm currently 32 and served 4 years active duty in the Marines. Can someone tell me if I'm reading this right?

Thank you

Semper Fi

Are you wanting AD or Reserves? Get a hold of a recruiter; From my understanding going back in AD is pretty hard right now, the Marines are full.

Reserves might be your best bet right now, then transfer over to AD in a year or two. You can lat move depending on the the Unit needs if you decide to go reserves. I would get a hold of a PSR(Prior Service Recruiter) in your area and be on him like stink on Sh1t until you get back in.

never the less get a hold of a Recruiter!

What platoon were you with in Boot Camp?

Wannabe Retread
03-27-10, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was in 1020 in the Big Red ONE. I want to go active. I will wait a year if I have to. I have a job right now, but since I've been out, I've felt that urge in my stomach to be back in. Civilian life is NOT the same.

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was in 1020 in the Big Red ONE. I want to go active. I will wait a year if I have to. I have a job right now, but since I've been out, I've felt that urge in my stomach to be back in. Civilian life is NOT the same.

Search the thread "How to get back in Redux" on this website, lots of good scoop in there, or "How to get back" or something. Thats how I found this site from a google search last year. I am going back in too, but Reserves. It shouldn't have taken this long for me but it has. So Good Luck!

Remember that your age of re-entry is your AD time minus your real age equals your constructive age. So your constructive age is really 32-4= 28!

duragliter
03-27-10, 07:48 AM
Best case scenario... <br />
<br />
You get accepted and get to return to active duty. <br />
You will lose rank, at least one level from your discharge DD-214. Best case is a new Lance Coolie. <br />
Question is: Do you...

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 08:26 AM
He won't loose any rank.

duragliter
03-27-10, 09:30 AM
Okay...

Even if that is true. Does he want to be a 32 y/o Corporal?

I just remember my age group. Most of us were selected or promoted to SSgt by age 25-30. Granted, that was 30 years ago but, how much could it have changed?

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 09:34 AM
Okay...

Even if that is true. Does he want to be a 32 y/o Corporal?

I just remember my age group. Most of us were selected or promoted to SSgt by age 25-30. Granted, that was 30 years ago but, how much could it have changed?

Fvck it, age don't matter if he really wants to go back, screw it you only live ONCE, shiet Ill be the same age as him, my PSR put in 30+y.o Lance Cpls back in, no big deal, if you can lead and keep up no big deal, but thats me.:D

duragliter
03-27-10, 01:11 PM
Oops!

I thought there might be something more to your connection, squish.

Although I hate reading profiles, as as a result of my reluctance, I now see...

When I left active duty, I remember my last conversation with the Sergeant Major. He was required to talk to all separating SNCOs. And, I told him that my idea was a younger Marine Corps. There were too many fossils that were in upper management. He disagreed and dismissed me. (Why would he not? He was older than dirt and no longer needed to qualify with any weapon and was exempt from the PFT...)

LISTEN TO THIS CAREFULLY: We are/were discharging TOO MANY young warriors who reach service limitations because the old folks refuse to let go...

In the inverted pyramid that the Marine Corps was and probably still is, one less Gunnery Sergeant on active duty frees-up twice as many lower promotion availabilities. And so on, and so on...

You having been a Corporal would not allow you to understand/be exposed to the grand scheme of things. Having said that, the current SgtMajMC graduated boot camp in early 1976. That puts him at least in his late forties to early fifties. That's enough. He should have retired years ago.

With the current op-tempo of the Marine Corps, we need to keep it young. Getting rid, so to speak, of the ROAD (retired on active duty) Marines would hasten promotions for the young lions and increase (drastically) our mission capability.

Sorry. But, it is a business.

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 02:47 PM
I guess if you had read my profile then you would have noticed a little note stating that I am going back in Reserves "This Time". If your grand scheme of things really was so then the Reserves would have the same exact problem. LOL

duragliter
03-27-10, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah, squish. The Reserves is a good way to go. Less pressure, although there is a chance for more AD time for the Reserves these days.

The Reserve Force was originally intended to take the place (mostly stateside) of the AD Marines if deployed. Nowadays the mission dictates that more and more deploy...

There is way less stigma assigned to members of the Reserves for being more "mature." Since retirement is differently obtained and ideally it is a part-time career, Marines who don't want to endure 20-30 years active would be foolish to not take advantage of it.

Good luck.

Wannabe Retread
03-28-10, 12:47 AM
I have a lot of respect for the Salty Dogs. My father retired from the Corps. I do not mind being a 32 year old Cpl. I actuall think it will be cool. I will have a lot to offer. I have been and worked in 25 different countries throughout my travels, have a family, happily married for 10 years, am very knowledgeable about the military and history in general, andk VERY passionate about serving.

I never cared about age, only rank. I'm sure there are SNCO's that think certain ways about butterbar LT's. that are fresh out of college.

Back to the original post: I was refering to that MCO (Marine Corps Order) I posted. If you look it up online, you will find that the age limit for a prior service Marine is 39 through the FTAP program (Which you have to be an E-4 or E-5). I just wanted to make sure I was reading that correctly. I've read it over and over. I will be calling a recruiter tomorrow to find out what my options are. If I can't go back in the Corps active, I will go in the Army. The only way I will go in the Army is if I get 11B. I want the esprit de corps that the Marines provide, but I know I'll be hard-pressed to find it in the Army. That's why I will only go into a combat arms MOS.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it.