PDA

View Full Version : Transportation on and around Bases

ClemsonEngineer
03-26-10, 11:29 PM
Marines,

Is it common/uncommon for Marines to not have cars? My guess is that it is just like anyone else in society, and that it varies. Some do, some don't. Is there a bus service on bases? Are bases small enough that walking to and from stores or other areas on base is not unrealistic?

I'm just trying to get a general idea of how transportation is. If I earn the title, and have the honor of serving as a Marine, I know I would need a way to get home (or wherever) for leave. However, leave is not taken that often and I could save up money for plane tickets or some other means of transportation during that time to make those type of trips.

Hope this isn't too broad of a question. ANY feedback would be great. Even if it is just telling me if you have or don't have a vehicle with you where you are stationed, or telling me how you get around base and the surrounding areas.

The reason I ask is because I am thinking of selling my car to avoid having to continue to pay car insurance. I have been told by some that it wouldn't be a good idea to sell my car because I would need it.

-JRG

polizei
03-27-10, 09:27 AM
You might want to sell your car, especially if you are active. You won't be able to have a car all through training, but you can have it at your first duty station. So really it's up to you...but I would want a car at a duty station...

FPM
03-27-10, 09:51 AM
Polizi is basicly correct, Between Bootcamp, Soi or Mct, and then MOS School it might be a year before you get to your 1st duty station. If you have no car payments and a family member who is willing to store it then why sell?
However the downside is it is just sitting around. It is entirely up to you to weigh the pros & cons to it.

tdrt
03-27-10, 09:52 AM
No bus service that I can ever recall. And you're definately going to want a vehicle once you get to your permanent duty station.

Marine84
03-27-10, 02:02 PM
I had my own car from A School on. I even paid $100 for a Flintstone mobile in Japan so I could get around on my own when I wanted to.

xbh
03-27-10, 06:29 PM
It just depends. If you have a car then YES bring it to your first duty station as quick as possible. My MOS school is over a year long so I'm going to be bringing my car out here pretty soon.

If you don't have a car you can bum rides off other Marines, pay riddiculous taxi fares, or ride the loser cruiser (bus).

ClemsonEngineer
03-28-10, 12:03 AM
Thanks Marines for your answers. Seems to be like I figured it would be: Nice to have a car, but definitely doable if I don't have one or choose to use mine as little as possible.

-JRG

kaboom1371
03-29-10, 03:06 AM
Being in a line company for my entire time.. most Marines did not have vehicles.(never really spent enough time in one place to have one, some did thogh) Every US base I can remember had some sort of buses or cab service. and there is usually a PX within walking range. how stocked they are depends on where you are..

TinDragon
03-29-10, 07:16 AM
As a new Marine, you won't have a car in Japan unless you're married. Other than that, folks I know from Pendleton, Lejeune, K-Bay, they all have cars unless they have enough friends to mooch rides off of. But do you really want to be that guy? Haha.

micarr57
03-29-10, 10:38 PM
was at pendelton they had good bus service when at 29 palms they had bus to town n back and vomit comet to la on weekends that was an interesting ride every time

echo3oscar1833
03-29-10, 10:43 PM
Depends on where your at some places you cant have a POV, other places you can. Riding the bus, and cab with a bunch of drunk Marines can be entertaining as hell. Enjoying it you only live once :D

ClemsonEngineer
04-01-10, 10:27 AM
TinDragon: I don't want to be "that guy"!! Haha.

I am def. keeping the car. I appreciate everyone's input.

-JRG

Hanzo
04-01-10, 10:38 AM
If you have a car early on, you might want to keep it to yourself.

I'm from San Diego and my Aunt lives in San Clemente, so when I was at SOI, I kept my car at her house and for weekend libo, I'd take the bus over, grab my car and be gone for the weekend. Definitely against the rules, but...

Anyway, word started getting around. One weekend a friend would ask for a ride into Oceanslime or down to San Diego. No problem, its on the way. Then it was 2 friends, then 4, then they're lining up and fighting about it. They were making so much noise I was in danger of getting caught, not to mention I was turning into a taxi service. Add to that that I was getting drunken phone calls at 4 in the morning from an hour away begging me to come pick them up because they ran out of money for a cab and knew I had a car.

I quickly told them that I got rid of the car.

ClemsonEngineer
04-01-10, 10:55 AM
What car? ; )

If I obtain the infantry MOS I desire and survive PI, I will go to SOI-East in NC. That's roughly 6 hrs. away from Spartanburg, SC. So, not sure if I'll take the car with me or not. Probably won't though. That's a LONG way down the road though. I hoping to begin the enlistment process either tomorrow or Monday., and then I will be focusing on making some money, getting into better shape, and studying knowledge for PI. I'm excited about it!

-JRG