PDA

View Full Version : A bit of history?

Sparrowhawk
09-04-03, 01:11 PM
Well, thisis the first time I heard of this, but makes sense to me.

While looking for retirement jokes for a friend of mine I ran into a web site that has some interesting bits of iinformation, don't know if its accurate but certianily entertaining.

http://www.retirementwithapurpose.com/jokehistory.html

According to that web site in the 1500s:

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a "bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer."

thedrifter
09-04-03, 04:09 PM
Cook, sounds like a good job for you...........LMAO............Listening to bells, what a life........LOL

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

yellowwing
09-04-03, 04:56 PM
*pssst, Hey graveyard dude. We just buried the mother in law. Here's $100 to go to the movies tonite! shhhhh...