PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

sdt491
03-23-10, 10:06 PM
tryin to find the best website to get tactical gear before i deploy such as leg rig, mags, pouches, etc. any suggestions other than ebay??? thnx appreciate it.

Thomason SD

Box Kicker 51
03-24-10, 04:06 AM
www.aardvarktactical.com (http://www.aardvarktactical.com)

This is where the MEU Command Elements get some cool trash!

The catalog is better.

boomer56328
03-24-10, 07:42 AM
Galls is good and they have a lot of stuff. Their prices can be high on some stuff though.

Silentwarrior17
03-24-10, 08:00 AM
You don't need any extra sh*t. Believe me, the stuff that they give you will be good enough and you will even get rid of some of that crap. You will realize soon enough that extra gear = extra pounds and that you really don't need anything more than what you are issued, well maybe an extra mag pouch but supply should hook you up with one more. That is just me, but I just want to warn ya before you go and spend a boat load of money on "Cool Gear".

temarti
03-24-10, 08:32 AM
Does the exchange have any of the gear you want?

hussaf
03-24-10, 10:41 AM
Does the exchange have any of the gear you want?

The PX has a whole lot of "cool guy" gear these days, mostly Spectre, Blackhawk, and some others.

London Bridge Tactical Trading Company has some of the best gear around...if you wana spend money that's the place to go. They do custom gear as well. One of our guys got a custom vest with a drop-down map-reading table thing. We made fun of him until he stopped wearing it...don't be the guy with so much gear you can't get to your drop holster.

The guy who posted before is right, Galls is a good company but their stuff is a bit over priced. If you go to one of the stores near base, you can usually get a discount card...like Xtreme outfitters or someplace like that.

There is always US Standard Issue, you can get a good discount on eyepro/Oakleys.

HOWARDROARK3043
03-24-10, 01:29 PM
dont buy any extra gear---thats how you can tell if you are on your first deployment or not,,Marines that have been around the block usually dont even take the issued gear,,because it gets dirty and you have to turn it back in,,,,as soon as you get in country find the supply Marines and they will know how to get the good stuff,, or talk to your supply Marine,,,,,,,supply has all the cool gear --dont spend your money,,let the gov't foot the bill

Zulu 36
03-24-10, 02:46 PM
We used to have a saying: If Uncle Sam doesn't give it to you for free, you don't need it.

Generally this works, but sometimes a few small privately purchased items help, like a Leatherman tool, or something similar. I did buy a stainless steel thermos canteen that I still use camping to this day (20+ -years later) and consider one of the best off-the-shelf items I ever bought for the field (up there with with my Leatherman).

Keeps cold things cold and hot things hot. How do it know?

hussaf
03-24-10, 06:13 PM
I bought a few things over the years...some I've used, others not so much. By now I pretty much know what issued stuff to bring...and the rest I leave at home. I've never taken a canteen with me for one.

I bought an aviator kit bag. Some swear by it, and it is nice b/c it's wide opening makes it easier to get at items than a sea bag...but it sucks to barry b/c of the small handles. You can make a shoulder strap for it, but that's only slightly better. I would recommend forking for a seabag with a side zipper access point. I don't have one, or know where you can find one...but I've seen them and they are really nice. I use side zipper access rucks when I deploy in civies.

I bought a Recon sleeping bag system. Awesome purchase. Its a tight fit but it packs down to literally like 1/3 the size of the issued sleeping bag system. Awesome for dwell ops when your sleeping in the back of an MRAP or on the floor of someone else's FOB. Oh with that, grab some extra WAG Bags b/f you go out on multiple day patrols if you can swing it...you never know what supply level places have when you move around.

I'd get a head lamp with red lens/filter and extra Surefire batts, maybe even a Surefire flashlight (their expensive...you don't need the coolest one out there). Baby wipes are a must as well. Large freezer-storage ziplock bags if your going to be in the field. This helps you store stuff separate by "cell-packing" your bag so crap is easier to find in dark/lowlight situations (And really all situations).

Apache
03-24-10, 07:05 PM
The Supply people will issue what you need and maybe if you ask nice some of what you want.
Confirm previous posts on it's all excess baggage if not issued.

Don't waste your $$$$

Just my two cents