PDA

View Full Version : Book - The Battle For Iwo Jima

breezyseaz
03-21-10, 10:51 AM
For anyone looking for a good book - I am reading The Battle For Iwo Jima... By: Derrick Wright. It is a great book... I have a hard time putting it down after I start reading. :thumbup:

gijimsmom
04-06-10, 02:42 PM
thanks for the tip - I am always looking for a good read, I'm finishing up "Why Marines Fight" and thoroughly enjoying it!

breezyseaz
04-06-10, 04:46 PM
You are welcome... Why Marines Fight is on my reading list also.

doc h fmf
04-08-10, 06:07 PM
I HOPE THEY MENTION MY HEROS JOHN BRADLEY (NAVY CROSS WINNER),and CMOH WINNER GEORGE WHALEN and other DOCS.OOOOORRRRAAAHHHH,SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS.

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Socal2361
04-08-10, 07:43 PM
Another really good one is "We Were One" it is one of my favorites. It follows a squad through the Battle of Fallujah in 04'.

doc h fmf
04-08-10, 07:56 PM
Robert is that the book written the SGTMAJ who won the Navy Cross?

breezyseaz
04-08-10, 08:50 PM
Both Bradley and Whalen are in the book. I am really enjoying it.
I am going to add "We Were One" to my reading list.
I'm waiting for "New Dawn" "The Battles for Fallujah" to come out. I think it is out in May.

marinemom
04-13-10, 09:34 AM
Also a good one - "Left for Dead" - story of Wake Island.

Texas has the Alamo - the Corps has Wake.

breezyseaz
04-13-10, 11:25 PM
I will add these to my list also...

Troutzilla
04-14-10, 07:54 AM
Another really good one is "We Were One" it is one of my favorites. It follows a squad through the Battle of Fallujah in 04'.

When I read "We Were One" I stayed up all night reading it...I could not put it down once I started it....Great read !!

Thanks for the tip on Iwo Jima breezyseaz it's goin on my list.

Here are some to consider:
1. Khe Sahn, Siege in the Clouds - Eric Hammel
2. Hill 488 - Ray Hildreth & Charles W. Sasser
3. Lions of Medina - Doyle D. Glass

breezyseaz
04-14-10, 03:45 PM
Thank you Troutzilla ... I knew you must like trout fishing before I even looked at your profile. Thanks for the books I will surely add them to my list also. My son will be deploying soon and I will probably be looking for anything to occupy my mind.

militaryhistory
05-02-10, 08:55 PM
"New Dawn: The Battles for Fallujah" promises to be a must-read book. It should be available in stores in mid-May or online from the publisher Savas Beatie or from the author's website, Richard Lowry. More information about the book, including an excerpt, and the author is available at either of those websites.

Lynn2
05-03-10, 01:34 PM
If anyone is interested in USMC Recon work then I highly recommend "Never Without Heroes---The 3rdReconnissance Bn in Vietnam" by Larry Vetter (paperback)

There are other VN Recon books out there this is just the one that I think gives the best overall view.

Very well written

BJKpfaller
05-03-10, 02:50 PM
Here's another one for you "Joker One" a real good read about Ramadi

breezyseaz
05-06-10, 11:32 PM
I have updated my list... thanks all. I finally finished "The Battle For Iwo Jima 1945" I got a little behind... my son is leaving for his pre-d training. But I heading to the library tomorrow.
I have also heard "New Dawn: The Battles for Fallujah" is a must read, it's exciting when a book makes you feel like you can't wait to read it.