PDA

View Full Version : USMC Officer Candidate School Question

FutureUSMCgirl
03-19-10, 04:55 PM
Hello Marines,

I really want to join the Marines, but I dont know if I should go to college first throught the Officer Candidate School and become an officer, or just enlist when I'm 18 and go to college afterwards. If I become an officer through OCS, can I pick what kind of officer I want to be? Any info would greatly be appreciated.:)

Thank you for all you do,

Future USMC girl

tdrt
03-19-10, 05:03 PM
All depends on what you want to do and how long you want to wait. Do you want to go to college for four years first to become an officer, or do you want to be a Marine now?

Also need to consider the cost of college. Lot of options to consider. Have you spoken with a recruiter yet? That would be Step Number One.

Marine84
03-19-10, 05:37 PM
Honey, you're only 16? You are going to change your mind 100 times between now and the time you can legally join.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-19-10, 11:50 PM
To answer the one question..no, generally you don't get to pick what MOS you have as an officer. It's assigned based on class standing. If you want to pick an MOS, enlisted is the way to go.

rufio14
03-21-10, 02:12 PM
Honey, you're only 16? You are going to change your mind 100 times between now and the time you can legally join.

I didn't :marine:

fs19
03-21-10, 04:05 PM
If you have the ability to go to college, w/o digging yourself into an enormous amount of debt, do so and go the officer route. You should also check out commissioning programs that the USMC offers which will help you pay for college.

Since your 16 now, see if you can talk to a recruiter and find out what some of your options will be. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is to do well in school, get involved in extra curricular activities-sports are always a good way to go, get in/stay in shape, and stay out of trouble.