PDA

View Full Version : So close to getting another one...

thewookie
03-19-10, 11:27 AM
I went down to Florida last week to catch some Red Sox spring training and while in the airport waiting to fly I think I ran into a poser. I was in Worcester airport and this guy walked by and said, "Semper Fi" to me. (I had on an EGA emblem only hat) So, being the fine Devil Dog that I am, I turned around and returned the favor. He stopped, and turned around, so I walked over to him with my hand out, we shook hands, and then he said he was with the 2nd Battalion, I said, "really, so was I". I then told him my platoon number, 2049, and he said, "what." I said it again, "I was with 2049, how about you". He looked at me kinda funny and before I had a chance to dig, my old lady yelled at me because they started boarding us.

The guy must have been full-o-poop. :confused:

Or is that me?

He appeared to be in his 40's.

I wish I had time..... hopefully somebody else along the way gets him.

Mario Martinez
03-19-10, 11:59 AM
why would you tell someone what boot camp platoon you were with? are you a boot? why not say what unit you were with. i would give someone a blank look to. not too mention youre probably a lame since you were wearing a gay ega hat anyway. smh

Quinbo
03-19-10, 12:12 PM
This one has gone south pretty quick.

FoxtrotOscar
03-19-10, 12:23 PM
why would you tell someone what boot camp platoon you were with? are you a boot? why not say what unit you were with. i would give someone a blank look to. not too mention youre probably a lame since you were wearing a gay ega hat anyway. smh

Mario, do you practice being stupid..?? Or is it just natural..???

:thumbdown

Mario Martinez
03-19-10, 12:27 PM
Mario, do you practice being stupid..?? Or is it just natural..???

:thumbdown

I didnt write that it was a Cpl that works in S-4 i left my comp unattended !!

BR34
03-19-10, 12:38 PM
But really, why give him your Boot Camp Plt number? Honestly I think I would have had the same look on my face.

kenrobg30
03-19-10, 12:43 PM
When asked, I usually reply, 'Second Battalion, Fifth.' I have always believed, that was enough. If questioned further, I always ask, ' What unit were you with, and when. You can tell by their reply, whether or not they have earned the right to ask. In my case, i start getting down to details, and i stop being polite. If the guy says, 'Oh! A Pogey Rope Marine !' I laugh, and shake his hand. He's a Marine. :marine: Sempre Fi!!! Ken

thewookie
03-19-10, 01:25 PM
Is your bootcamp platoon number a secret?

And when you meet somebody and give them your name isn't that a little more "sensitive" :cry: information then a bootcamp platoon number? I could start the process of doing a hell of a lot more damage to a person's identity with a name, over a boot camp platoon number.

Really now.

Guess I should take it off my profile, maybe the zombies will find me via it. :cry:

thewookie
03-19-10, 01:29 PM
I didnt write that it was a Cpl that works in S-4 i left my comp unattended !!

So, basically you're saying you are a biotch, and so is your corporal.

BR34
03-19-10, 01:52 PM
Is your bootcamp platoon number a secret?

And when you meet somebody and give them your name isn't that a little more "sensitive" :cry: information then a bootcamp platoon number? I could start the process of doing a hell of a lot more damage to a person's identity with a name, over a boot camp platoon number.

Really now.

Guess I should take it off my profile, maybe the zombies will find me via it. :cry:

No, I'm not saying it's a secret. I'm saying it would seem like 2 Marines introducing themselves to each other would identify themselves with a unit in the FMF instead of boot camp, ya know? The guy may have been honestly confused.

GSEMarine94
03-19-10, 01:55 PM
I think the problem was the guy realized you were a Red Sox fan. :scared:

AAV Crewchief
03-19-10, 02:06 PM
I think the problem was the guy realized you were a Red Sox fan. :scared:

:D

Marine84
03-19-10, 05:01 PM
I've had people who have never served in ANY branch (much less the Marine Corps) say Semper Fi to me just because they know we say it to one another. They think it's cool, I give 'em an A for effort.

thewookie
03-20-10, 12:37 AM
I've had people who have never served in ANY branch (much less the Marine Corps) say Semper Fi to me just because they know we say it to one another. They think it's cool, I give 'em an A for effort.

Yeah, and I can definitely appreciate that. I get that, too. Cause even though I'm a boot, I always appreciate some honest effort to recognize my "boot" hat.

Hey, maybe I wasted some bandwidth typing this crap, or maybe I just rattled some cages?

thewookie
03-20-10, 12:46 AM
No, I'm not saying it's a secret. I'm saying it would seem like 2 Marines introducing themselves to each other would identify themselves with a unit in the FMF instead of boot camp, ya know? The guy may have been honestly confused.

Keep in mind, he started me down the road of information gathering from bootcamp when HE said HE was with Second Battalion. If, he said, I was with 1/7 -- I would have responded in a more relative sense. But, I hear what you are saying, it's all good -- and I hope he was a Jarhead, since I shook his hand and all.

Old Marine
03-20-10, 09:21 AM
I went down to Florida last week to catch some Red Sox spring training and while in the airport waiting to fly I think I ran into a poser. I was in Worcester airport and this guy walked by and said, "Semper Fi" to me. (I had on an EGA emblem only hat) So, being the fine Devil Dog that I am, I turned around and returned the favor. He stopped, and turned around, so I walked over to him with my hand out, we shook hands, and then he said he was with the 2nd Battalion, I said, "really, so was I". I then told him my platoon number, 2049, and he said, "what." I said it again, "I was with 2049, how about you". He looked at me kinda funny and before I had a chance to dig, my old lady yelled at me because they started boarding us.

The guy must have been full-o-poop. :confused:

Or is that me?

He appeared to be in his 40's.

I wish I had time..... hopefully somebody else along the way gets him.

Hey Wookie:

This guy could possibly be for real. The Marine Corps does not throw Boot Camp Platoon numbers away because they have been used.

Platoon 2049 has been used many times by both depots over the years.:evilgrin:

kfisbusy
03-20-10, 10:24 AM
:evilgrin:I don't know if the gay was not a Marine or not. Maybe confused because you gave your bootcamp. Maybe he was just being nice because he saw you were a Red Sox fan. SSGT.Francisco:flag::iwo:.

Socal2361
03-20-10, 10:37 AM
Yeah, and I can definitely appreciate that. I get that, too. Cause even though I'm a boot, I always appreciate some honest effort to recognize my "boot" hat.

Hey, maybe I wasted some bandwidth typing this crap, or maybe I just rattled some cages?

How the f*ck are you a boot with a signature like that on your profile, Sgt, 3 NAMS, deployed twice. Either your a poser yourself or just a dumb Marine.:mad: I am gonna assume you were being sarcastic and give you the benefit of the doubt.

thewookie
03-20-10, 09:38 PM
How the f*ck are you a boot with a signature like that on your profile, Sgt, 3 NAMS, deployed twice. Either your a poser yourself or just a dumb Marine.:mad: I am gonna assume you were being sarcastic and give you the benefit of the doubt.

Trust me, I can be verified. :beer: I'm just playing with the trolls.

SF Marines

SlingerDun
03-20-10, 10:08 PM
how are the Sox lookin?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-20-10, 11:40 PM
Socal, he's being sarcastic. NOT a boot by any means. I think this one's about done...