PDA

View Full Version : Hrst & Acc

bgsuwoody
03-18-10, 07:39 PM
Well this past week I have been doing the HRST (Helicopter Rope Suspension Techniquest) Course at SOTG. Let me tell you, if you want a challenge, here it is. A fast paced and difficult course that will MAKE you fully understand rigging helos and the tower for rappelling, fastrope, and SPIE operations. Soon I will be doing assault climbers course (ACC). If I pass tomorrows test, which I should since I aced the pretest (because I was one of 2 who stayed every night to practice) the next week will be all of the performance evaluation (aka getting in the helos and getting crazy lol). I am going to try to take some pics so I will get them on here if I do. Back to knowledge studying and rope tying ;)

Quinbo
03-18-10, 08:46 PM
You rock Bugs!!

FistFu68
03-18-10, 09:03 PM
:evilgrin: You better wear 3 sets of Skivvies and plastic in between Woody,cause when You SPIE rig ride sideways off a Mountain at 150 Mph Hanging at a 90Degree angle off that Chopper YOU gonna CHIT In them that's if Your Harness don't snap then Fuc it(lol)Have Funn I Did S/F GoodLuck your gonna need it :D :thumbup:

03-18-10, 09:35 PM
Cpl Blaylock - You taught me how to live, you taught me how to master the pain, and you taught me how do die with honor...you will be missed. Fvckin' A, Marine! S/F :thumbup::flag:

tdrt
03-19-10, 08:55 AM
That is so fricken awesome!! <br />
<br />
The only thing I didn't get to do before I was discharged was repel out of a helo. I was scheduled to go two times but they both got cancelled because of high...

spotts
03-19-10, 08:58 AM
Rapelling out of helos was always a great time. Good luck on the test....

thewookie
03-19-10, 11:15 AM
I can remember like it was yesterday running around Little Creek with my rope and learning all kinds of crazy knots, some that I still use today from time to time. Like the one I used the other night on my girlfriend. ;)

I never got to HRST, only to Rappel Master.

Good luck and study those knots....

sdk87to91
03-19-10, 03:35 PM
Dont get complacent about your rigging inspections. We just lost a wildland firefighter because they missed an improper setup and they think he basically left it all up to a little 'O ring.

The investigation report from the Willow Helibase Fatal Rappel Accident has been posted on the Wildfire Lessons Learned Center's website.
The purpose of the report is for accident prevention purposes.
The link is attached below.-----

http://www.wildfirelessons.net/documents/Willow_CA_Final_2009.pdf

I found the photos very interesting, but am not so sure about all the physco babble about how a person gets so used to seeing stuff that they dont even see it when it is wrong.

In the Forest Service they hope to find a reason for every incident...whatever....

bgsuwoody
03-20-10, 05:59 PM
Well I passed all my tests and are ready to do all the fun ****. I borrowed a helmet cam and we'll see how that goes

usmc3521
03-22-10, 11:16 AM
Well this past week I have been doing the HRST (Helicopter Rope Suspension Techniquest) Course at SOTG. Let me tell you, if you want a challenge, here it is. A fast paced and difficult course that will MAKE you fully understand rigging helos and the tower for rappelling, fastrope, and SPIE operations. Soon I will be doing assault climbers course (ACC). If I pass tomorrows test, which I should since I aced the pretest (because I was one of 2 who stayed every night to practice) the next week will be all of the performance evaluation (aka getting in the helos and getting crazy lol). I am going to try to take some pics so I will get them on here if I do. Back to knowledge studying and rope tying ;)

BGSU as in Bowling Green State University in Bg Ohio?

bgsuwoody
03-22-10, 09:33 PM
Yeah, graduated there in 07...but todays rappel didn't go well had to quit due to a fuel leak and some sparking/smoke in the cockpit so we didn't get to do it...pretty bummed today

Supersquishy
03-23-10, 05:24 AM
Wheres HRST Masters school located?

Quinbo
03-23-10, 05:42 AM
The one I went to was a camp Margarita on Pendleton. No idea where the one on Lejeune is. All the same training though.

bgsuwoody
03-23-10, 09:32 AM
Its at SOTG on Stone Bay

bgsuwoody
03-23-10, 10:45 PM
Here's a few videos of rappelling out of the V-22 Osprey today, see what I can get you guys tomorrow. It was a hell of a time.

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/?action=view&current=022.flv
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/?action=view&current=021.flv
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/?action=view&current=020.flv
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/?action=view&current=019.flv

jackson07
03-24-10, 02:27 AM
Ah thats bad ass.

bpeterson
03-25-10, 04:11 PM
Fantastic video Bugs, thanks.

bgsuwoody
03-26-10, 12:01 AM
Well I have had an awesome week, and it has banged me up a little bit, but its been amazing. I have so many photos and videos so I am going to give you guys the album

We did
Huey Fast Rope
53 Night Rappell
53 Day Rappell
53 Fast Rope Hellhole
Osprey Fast Rope
Osprey Day Rappell
Osprey Night Rappell
60 Day Fast Rope
60 Night Fast Rope

I think that is it...and tomorrow we do SPIE...pretty psyched about it.
Heres the album though enjoy
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/HRST/

Quinbo
03-26-10, 12:20 AM
SPIE once or twice is pretty cool after that, it kinda sucks. Mainly it sucks because there is always one fool on the rope that can't follow simple instructions and hold their arms out and steer themselves through the air. You end up gripping the rope at the small of your back to keep from spinning around and around and around for the whole trip.

I noticed there is a lack of 46 training in your list. Are they not even training it any more?

bgsuwoody
03-26-10, 12:30 AM
No 46 its pretty much being phased out for the V-22 for what I know...somebody correct me if I'm wrong...the wing aint my thing

thewookie
03-26-10, 06:58 AM
Remember,, when fast roping out of a hell hole to secure your gear.

In Greece, we were fast roping out of the hell hole of a 53, and I saw this Marine drop his rifle 1/4 of the way down. Sucked for him - but fortunately nobody was below him. The rifle shattered in a million pieces -- it wasn't pretty.

:) We had that Marine and his squad leader, bearcrawlin on the flight line with a sand bag on their back until the base CO (a Navy guy) called our CO, and told us to stop.

Good day. I have some old video footage of that incident that I should get on YouTube -- or maybe not.

bgsuwoody
03-26-10, 08:25 PM
Just added some more vids to that album, the SPIE one is in there and let me tell you it was a hell of an experience and I want to do it again. The video is awesome as well
If you just want to see that here it is
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/bgsuwoody/HRST/?action=view&current=SDC10682.flv

echo3oscar1833
03-27-10, 09:20 AM
Remember,, when fast roping out of a hell hole to secure your gear.

In Greece, we were fast roping out of the hell hole of a 53, and I saw this Marine drop his rifle 1/4 of the way down. Sucked for him - but fortunately nobody was below him. The rifle shattered in a million pieces -- it wasn't pretty.

:) We had that Marine and his squad leader, bearcrawlin on the flight line with a sand bag on their back until the base CO (a Navy guy) called our CO, and told us to stop.

Good day. I have some old video footage of that incident that I should get on YouTube -- or maybe not.

I need a laugh put that on youtube Wookie!!:D Buggs, congrats man on the school man!!

Supersquishy
03-27-10, 09:30 AM

What part?, the rifle drop or the low crawling with sand bag, I want to see the lowcrawling with sand-bag video!!!!! LMAO!

Quinbo
03-27-10, 09:30 AM
Great vids woody!