PDA

View Full Version : Going from 2846 to 0311...is it possible?

OhioGuy
03-18-10, 01:36 PM
I've been trying to find some good threads on lat moves to the 03 field and found some info. However, I was looking for some simple input/advice on this or maybe if you had known someone to do this (lat move from technical mos to 03) and the details of their situations.
For all the guys that are just going to say "go to hell we don't want POGs" please keep that stuff to yourself.

Thanks for your time ladies and gents, Semper Fidelis.

Wardawg
03-18-10, 11:49 PM
It's possible. If you're a first term Marine, you could request to Lat move once you hit your 2 year mark in your duty station. It all depends if the MOS has available spots for you... You are more than likely going to be accepted if you're close to your EAS than doing it in the middle of your enlistment. Ironically, the 03xx field is "full" sometimes, and you have to wait for a long time for it to re-open. The only 03xx MOS that's always open is 0321 (recon). But like I said, you are more likely to Lat move when you're close to your EAS date and about to re-enlist.

How long have you been in?

OhioGuy
03-19-10, 06:56 AM
I've only been in about a year and three months.. Yeah yeah I know.
It was wait another year for 03xx or go 28xx with a bonus. Now I know why everyone says to wait for what you want. I'm pretty sure that with the 5 year contract I have, I have to stay in this MOS the full five. The only problem I have with that is going to my unit as a "POG" NCO (assuming I will at least hit Cpl. In 5) as Ive heard that can lead to problems.
I don't mean to sound like the stereotypical "wish I was a grunt" boot although I'm aware I do. Thanks for the input wardawg.

WKranz
03-19-10, 09:29 AM
It's only a problem if you are abrasive and hard to work with. Corporal or not, you are new to the fleet as an 03. I have been with two corporals who lat moved to 03, whether it was a two year lat move or a reenlistment one, I am not sure of.

In one case, he was aware of his junior status to the Marines who had deployed, and took care to learn how to be an 03 corporal, yet balanced the rank requirements (settin the example, etc.) well.

In the other case, he was a complete turd both as an NCO and as a fresh out of SOI Marine.

Quinbo
03-19-10, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure you are locked in to your MOS for the duration of your contract if got an enlistment bonus. Tough it out then put in for a lat move near the end of your contract. Don't get ****ed re-enlist ;)

OhioGuy
03-19-10, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm pretty sure what you said about the 5 yr contract is true as well Sgt.
When I brought up reenlisting as an 03xx down the road to several NCO/SNCOs, the consensus seems to be that the Marine Corps usually will not let someone go from a technical MOS to one of equal or lower GT requirement. Hope this isn't the case.

brian0351
03-20-10, 12:41 AM
Just f*ck up in your current job. We had a couple of guys in my unit who were "demoted" to the infantry after they caused issues in their previous MOS. Lol.

OhioGuy
03-20-10, 04:39 PM
I was pretty close, Sargeant. But they would have sent me to supply/admin.. Lol

Sgt Leprechaun
03-20-10, 11:43 PM
If you got a bonus, it's going to be difficult. If NOT, wait out your time, and then apply at the 2 year mark. Last option, which will suck for you, is re-up for it at the end of your enlistment.

It's not going to be easy with your MOS, but it's certainly worth trying.

gwamo1
03-22-10, 08:43 AM
I was pretty close, Sargeant. But they would have sent me to supply/admin.. Lol

It's spelled Sergeant. Why did noone else catch this?

OhioGuy
03-22-10, 01:42 PM
My apologies. The auto-spell on this iPhone has a mind of it's own. For that matter, what/when is "noone"? No one.

gwamo1
03-23-10, 07:59 AM
Nice.

OhioGuy
03-23-10, 12:53 PM
Lol I thought you'd like that Corporal..

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

buggoffextco
03-23-10, 01:42 PM
I caught the spelling error but thought it imprudent to call the lad out in front of everyone. Back in the day, bonus money made lat moves impossible and if you are in a tech field, they spent way too much money to train you and will want a return from the investment. Wanting 03 is certainly admirable but believe it or not, your current job is important as well. I would suggest looking closely at it and figuring out a way to impact your field positively rather than looking for another place to be. Messing up and hoping for a "move" is not an option, that sort of thing stays with you for a very long time. The bottom line is our Corps needs the best in every field and apparently your scores mean that you have that potential. Stay the course and see what opportunities arise in another 3 1/2 years.