PDA

View Full Version : How did you shoot in bootcamp?

CplAllen
03-17-10, 05:26 PM
I remember being sooo freaked about going unq at the range in bootcamp. Ended up shooting expert and I'll never forget my shooting coach taking my id tag to keep (he collected all of the expert id tags) So do you remember how you shot in bootcamp?:marine:

JRHD72
03-17-10, 05:34 PM
Shot a 242 ( M14 reach out n touch someone) had 9 bulls in 3" circle on dogtarget on the 300 yd. line, with a MAGGIES drawers. PMI and the senior went ballistic on the butts! Plt. 288 1972

Artemis
03-17-10, 05:38 PM
Very carefully.......even hit the target a few times.

TinDragon
03-17-10, 05:40 PM
203. I am not what one would call a "good shooter". My targets still die, it's just not immediate. Haha.

Marine84
03-17-10, 05:44 PM
I went UNQ, but in 84 we weren't required to qualify. We were taught how to put a M16 together, how to tear it apart, clean it, and shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. I think we only had to carry them in bootcamp for 2 weeks or so back then. We got to shoot once a year after bootcamp but still weren't required to qualify.

Marine84
03-17-10, 05:46 PM
Very carefully.......even hit the target a few times.

LOL! Bout all I could do was kick dirt into the pit. I might have hit the target a time or two.

CplAllen
03-17-10, 05:47 PM
I went UNQ, but in 84 we weren't required to qualify. We were taught how to put a M16 together, how to tear it apart, clean it, and shoot it enough to be comfortable with it. I think we only had to carry them in bootcamp for 2 weeks or so back then. We got to shoot once a year after bootcamp but still weren't required to qualify.

This is very interesting. I did not know that.

Marine84
03-17-10, 05:53 PM
This is very interesting. I did not know that.

Same thing with swimming. I was in at the end of the "free a man to fight" era.

Old Marine
03-17-10, 05:54 PM
All Machine Gunners need to fess up now.

CplAllen
03-17-10, 05:55 PM
Same thing with swimming. I was in at the end of the "free a man to fight" era.

Weird. It's hard to believe that it wasn't such a big thing at that time. I'm sure it was very different back then.

Marine84
03-17-10, 06:04 PM
"very" ain't the word for it..................

That's why I'm floored when I read all the stuff that WM's (I understand even THIS is a no-no today) get to do these days.

Artemis
03-17-10, 06:14 PM
"very" ain't the word for it..................

That's why I'm floored when I read all the stuff that WM's (I understand even THIS is a no-no today) get to do these days.'

That is because we are "special". :banana:

CplAllen
03-17-10, 06:16 PM
Oh jeez...

commdog7
03-17-10, 08:15 PM
236, Expert

gfinklea
03-17-10, 08:36 PM
Pre qual day 248, qual day 246 M14 April 1964 Paris Island.

mjhpgh
03-17-10, 08:42 PM
Marksman in boot camp,our rifles were crap back in 84.I remember only a few shooting Expert . I shot Expert after boot every time both in the Marines and AF.

kman311
03-17-10, 09:50 PM
195 in a downpour at Parris Island. Never lower than 235 in the fleet.
Funny story....
Was at the rifle range at Kaneohe Bay early 1987. Already 3rd award expert. So I draw a new weapon from the armory and fire 3 rounds of tri fire. All misses. Check windage and elev, fire 3 more rounds, all misses.
By now, a coach has walked over and quietly asked, "hey Sgt Massey, everything ok?" I said I don't know what's going on, the butts can't even tell me where the rounds are hitting. By now, all the Pfc's and Lcpl's are laughing at me.
The Range officer now comes over and ask me point blank "Sgt can you shoot?" I said, "242 last year sir" So he stops the entire firing line and has a coach shoot my weapon. Turns out with the weapon zero'd and shooting at target 14, the rounds were hitting 10 yards in front of target 11! With the windage cranked all the way over, we still couldn't get on target.
Anyway, went back drew another weapon, practiced one day then qualified expert. But it was a long time before I was convinced that candid camera or some other prank show had not bent the sights or barrel on that weapon to make it shoot sideways for a joke!

blackup
03-17-10, 11:47 PM
Marksman four years in a row.

Quinbo
03-18-10, 12:27 AM
Coaching I had a lad shooting all over the place. He appearantly couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a boat paddle. I couldn't figure this guy out. I asked the line on my side. Distinguished marksman .... he said muzzle to toe have a look. I looked and couldn't see anything wrong. WTF ... he aint bucking the trigger or trying to shoot right handed with his left eye. I can't figure this guy out. My distinguished marksman friend walked over and flipped that low light site down. Shooter had the big loop up. Just that improved his marksmanship greatly.

No wonder my friend was distinguished LOL.

tdrt
03-18-10, 09:24 AM

Same thing here. I see you graduated bootcamp July '84. I graduated March '84.

I think it was 2-3 years after that before they started making me qualify. Do you remember the makeup classes in bootcamp? Seriously guys, we had make up classes. And believe me, there were some butt-ass ugly WMs who needed it!

AAV Crewchief
03-18-10, 11:03 AM
I remember being sooo freaked about going unq at the range in bootcamp. Ended up shooting expert and I'll never forget my shooting coach taking my id tag to keep (he collected all of the expert id tags) So do you remember how you shot in bootcamp?:marine:
Got a Russian Cross in bootcamp. I just couldn't relax at all. Changed when I got to the fleet though!!!

AAV Crewchief
03-18-10, 11:05 AM

You graduated bootcamp without qualifying? What the heck???:devious::devious::devious:

CplAllen
03-18-10, 11:35 AM
Coaching I had a lad shooting all over the place. He appearantly couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a boat paddle. I couldn't figure this guy out. I asked the line on my side. Distinguished marksman .... he said muzzle to toe have a look. I looked and couldn't see anything wrong. WTF ... he aint bucking the trigger or trying to shoot right handed with his left eye. I can't figure this guy out. My distinguished marksman friend walked over and flipped that low light site down. Shooter had the big loop up. Just that improved his marksmanship greatly.

No wonder my friend was distinguished LOL.

You'd be surprised how much this happens. I've heard of Special Forces guys that couldn't qualify on the range all because, come to find out, they used the wrong sight. It pays to know your weapons inside and out boys.

tdrt
03-18-10, 11:40 AM
You graduated bootcamp without qualifying? What the heck???:devious::devious::devious:

We didn't need to. Remember, this was back in the early 80's when the motto was still "Free a Man" to fight and WMs were restricted from most MOSs. It wasn't until the late 80s/early 90s when Commandant Grey took over that WMs were required to qualify. It's nothing to get angry about. That's just the way it was. And yes, I did eventually qualify

fmoyer
03-18-10, 12:18 PM
Do not remember the score but was happy with a Sharpshooter badge, was just really happy to qualifiy and not have to face a angry DI

Danny C Smith
03-18-10, 12:39 PM
247 in Boot at Edson range.
Funny story. In 86 they tried to make me shoot right handed.
I'm a South paw so that wasn't working.
DIs were screaming that I just wanted to be different.lol.:evilgrin:
Finally our SDI told me to try left handed.
The rest is history. Never shot lower than high expert.

Smitty:usmc:

ameriken
03-18-10, 12:39 PM
Do not remember the score but was happy with a Sharpshooter badge, was just really happy to qualifiy and not have to face a angry DI
<!-- / message -->
Likewise, having never shot a serious weapon before, I was quite pleased with SS 213.

CplAllen
03-18-10, 01:50 PM
"DIs were screaming that I just wanted to be different."

I lol'd at this.

spotts
03-18-10, 02:31 PM
High expert all four years active. High expert with the 9mm also. Qualified expert with M60 and 50 cal at SOI.

Marine84
03-18-10, 07:39 PM
OMG! The makeup classes! LOL! That was some funny $h!t right there.

OH! And we only had to run a mile and a half for our PFT. If I had had to do 3, I would have failed big time.

AKA HITMAN
03-18-10, 08:30 PM
Left handed shooter..always qual'd high expert. DI's really had a field day with me in boot. Left handed shooters were real foreign to mine.

Danny C Smith
03-18-10, 09:10 PM
I distintcly remember SDI SSG Gaither asking me, on the line.
Where you learn to shoot like that Smitty? Yer Pappy's
squirrel rifle?:evilgrin:
To which I looked up and replied, SIR YES SIR!
He laughed and moved on down the line.

Smitty:usmc: