PDA

View Full Version : Should I workout?

Semper Fi 15
03-17-10, 06:23 AM
Well I'm 15 and I am for sure I will be joining the Marine Corps after I graduate, but I'm not sure if I should work out or anything like that. I'm in good shape now and I can do a fair amount of pushups and I ran the mile in gym and i got 6:43. But I'm just wondering if any of you who have completed basic wished you worked out before you went.

-thanks for reading,
Kaiser

Quinbo
03-17-10, 07:56 AM
Go chop wood, mend fences, milk cows, put up hay, clean ditches. You'll not need to worry about working out.

On a serious note ... you are young. Live life and don't become an X-box commando. Hard core PT will come when you get a little more age on you. You are still growing yet.

tdrt
03-17-10, 08:35 AM
Just keep active and fit and don't focus on hard core training yet. That'll come later and over doing it now will cause more harm than good.

Do well in school -- grades do matter! And keep track of your moral compass and make good decisions -- no drugs, peircings, tatoos, etc.

polizei
03-17-10, 08:35 AM
Take it in moderation, though not too serious. I would give yourself at LEAST 6-month before you ship to get into decent shape. The reason for that is to help build your muscles and bones to the rigorous PT of the Corps. I also suggest taking calcium suppliments, or other multi-vitamins if you wish.

I would just run once or twice a week at like a mile. If this makes any sense, work out to help you really work out later on, but don't push yourself too hard too young.