PDA

View Full Version : whats it like at camp lejune? 20 palms? pendleton?

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 09:04 PM
my husband is artillery 0861 and we are waiting to find out where we will get stationed and i am just wondering if anyone has any information about what its like to live at each base?

I've heard camp pendleton is great!!
i've heard 29 palms is horrible.

What place is the best and what is the worst??

SGT7477
03-16-10, 09:33 PM
My best duty station was Okinawa my least favorite was Camp LeJeune, 29 Palms wasn't bad, you'll get all different opinions, Semper Fidelis.

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 09:39 PM
My best duty station was Okinawa my least favorite was Camp LeJeune, 29 Palms wasn't bad, you'll get all different opinions, Semper Fidelis.

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to japan but i dont want him to get it because i cant go with him if he does :( i'm sure okinawa is amazing!

I heard 29 palms is the worst place ever and that lejune was really nice, i guess people do all have different opinions! i'll really be happy wherever we go as long as i can finally come with him

firedog974
03-16-10, 09:57 PM
i would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to japan but i dont want him to get it because i cant go with him if he does :( i'm sure okinawa is amazing!

I heard 29 palms is the worst place ever and that lejune was really nice, i guess people do all have different opinions! i'll really be happy wherever we go as long as i can finally come with him

It doesn't really matter where you go, it matters what you make of it. My wife and I were lucky enough to be stationed in HI for our first tour (it was fun). Next we went to Beaufort, which is one of the armpits of the Corps. The thing is, we made it fun and went on weekend trips to Savannah and Hilton Head. If you go to the stumps (29 Palms) then Vegas, LA, and lots of other places are a short drive. Lejune sucks, but there are a lot of great places that are just a short drive away. The Corps is an adventure, but it is only as good as you make it. You can get stationed somewhere, and if you sit around and say "this sucks," it will suck. If you make the most of it, you will have a great time. Good luck.

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 10:15 PM
It doesn't really matter where you go, it matters what you make of it. My wife and I were lucky enough to be stationed in HI for our first tour (it was fun). Next we went to Beaufort, which is one of the armpits of the Corps. The thing is, we made it fun and went on weekend trips to Savannah and Hilton Head. If you go to the stumps (29 Palms) then Vegas, LA, and lots of other places are a short drive. Lejune sucks, but there are a lot of great places that are just a short drive away. The Corps is an adventure, but it is only as good as you make it. You can get stationed somewhere, and if you sit around and say "this sucks," it will suck. If you make the most of it, you will have a great time. Good luck.

i really do think i'll be happy wherever we go. i want to go to camp pendleton mostly because i have two friends up there and it would be nice to know someone up there, but even if its the worst place i'll be happy as long as i can come with him. i'm just very curious where we're going to be living the next few years and want to know more about the places. Thanks!

Quinbo
03-16-10, 10:28 PM
Dependant ID cards are brown.

Great post Firedog!

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 10:31 PM
Dependant ID cards are brown.

Great post Firedog!

???

hussaf
03-16-10, 10:40 PM
I've heard from people stationed at 29 that they love it out there, being kind of away from the flag pole and all. Most Marines will tell you they hate it, but that's prob b/c they are there for Mojave Viper. That being said, there isn't much in the area to do if you don't like outdoors stuff. But if you have a car, Vegas and Palm Springs are pretty close. Even San Diego is only a few hours away.

Quinbo
03-16-10, 10:41 PM
I've carried a green ID card for 13 years and then a brown one for 12. Never heard of a tan and white one.

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 10:43 PM
I've heard from people stationed at 29 that they love it out there, being kind of away from the flag pole and all. Most Marines will tell you they hate it, but that's prob b/c they are there for Mojave Viper. That being said, there isn't much in the area to do if you don't like outdoors stuff. But if you have a car, Vegas and Palm Springs are pretty close. Even San Diego is only a few hours away.

thats cool :D anywhere's got to be better than alabama lol

hussaf
03-16-10, 10:46 PM
I've carried a green ID card for 13 years and then a brown one for 12. Never heard of a tan and white one.

Maybe the white one that is being referred to is the "new" ID cards they've been issuing for a few years now...they double as CAC card readers and I think even contain some of the basic ISOPREP info (not the classified stuff, obviously). Here is a image of my ID.

hussaf
03-16-10, 10:48 PM
...now that I look at it, they real ones are a little different...they have writing on it, and a flag to help make it harder to duplicate.

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 10:50 PM
thats what my husbands id card looks like.

Quinbo
03-16-10, 10:52 PM
Holy crap that was funny!!

hrscowboy
03-16-10, 11:01 PM
dont forget to tell her about the NCO clubs and the enlisted clubs at 29 stumps where the girls dance on the poll..

hrscowboy
03-16-10, 11:03 PM
oops i dont think the wives are suppose to know that... oh god i am in trouble now...

WifeInL0v3
03-17-10, 07:45 PM
oops i dont think the wives are suppose to know that... oh god i am in trouble now...

i'm not stupid.

fastgirl07
03-18-10, 03:27 AM
i heard san diego is freaking amazing.. thats what my Marine tells me anyways.. we have a choice of there or lejuene as well when he goes up for orders.. we have been talking about HI too but, i doubt that will happen.. i heard 29 isnt bad at all.. i have a friend stationed there and loves it especially the fact that vegas and palm springs is out there.. i plan visiting while db is deployed so i can finally go to vegas as well lol.. kind of a bday/getting by the deployment type thing lol.. lejuene i heard is boring as well not much to do.. but like the others have sad its what you make of it that really makes it fun