PDA

View Full Version : Watch Out Marines...New Army Training!!!

polizei
03-16-10, 10:28 AM
Watch out everyone, their going to kick ass now. And side note, when did/does the army ever run 5 miles? While I was at Ft. Leonard Wood, they only had to run 1.5 miles, and us Marines were completing 3 miles before many of them completed even a 1.5 miles...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_new_basic_training

So, what's everyone think?

SGT7477
03-16-10, 10:34 AM
WM had posted something about that, we'll have to wait and see, with all the hog bodies the army has they need it,lmao.

tangovictor87
03-16-10, 11:00 AM
Good for them but I don't see any plans to help them maintain their new level of fitness. For example, Marines run a PFT & CFT annually in addition to the mandatory PT 3 days a week. This is our minimum. I know when I was on active duty I ran the PFT at least once a month (the CFT was still being developed.) I'd still like to see every branch improve the food in chow halls. Cut out the sodas, donuts and cakes.

Lisa 23
03-16-10, 11:11 AM
Already posted...
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94194

Hanzo
03-16-10, 11:12 AM
Is this going to include timed runs between the doughnut shop and coffee shop in cammies?

HOWARDROARK3043
03-16-10, 11:43 AM
when i joined i thought that a 300 pft was the minnium????

when you have multiple Marines get 300's the arguing then becomes ---who had the faster run time-----so we all got 300's but my run time was better so i am more of a pimp----------------I run 3 miles at a 6 minute pace everyday-

Garyius
03-16-10, 12:23 PM
I agree with the army on those points.

The bayonet fight is not a good style for the M4. The rifle is too short, and the butt stock is simply too weak (both the buffer tube connection and the sliding stock itself).

Any fighting training should be in a weapon like the riot stave, which troops may use someday in a riot. The bayonet is only good for crowd control.

As for the running, same. Running 5 miles is fine to wear down recruits, but there is no need for it in the modern military. The Corps running three miles, and the army two, for a PFT is just a check of overall fitness with no meaning for field use.

tangovictor87
03-16-10, 12:27 PM

when you have multiple Marines get 300's the arguing then becomes ---who had the faster run time-----so we all got 300's but my run time was better so i am more of a pimp----------------I run 3 miles at a 6 minute pace everyday-

There will never be a 300 minimum PFT. Last I heard it was 105: 3 pull ups, 50 crunches and a 28:00 3-mile. Obviously, we as Marines will never settle for the bare minimum and I always "encouraged" my Marines to have at least a 1st class PFT (225).

Hanzo
03-16-10, 12:33 PM
There will never be a 300 minimum PFT. Last I heard it was 105: 3 pull ups, 50 crunches and a 28:00 3-mile. Obviously, we as Marines will never settle for the bare minimum and I always "encouraged" my Marines to have at least a 1st class PFT (225).

I remember in bootcamp having a first class PFT. 20 pull ups, 120 crunches and a 22:30 run. My Drill Instructors had me on the quarterdeck for my **** poor run time.

Quinbo
03-16-10, 01:25 PM
The Army actually has an alternate walk for their PFT. I couldn't believe it. They can go a couple days before their PFT and tell the doc their knee hurts or other made up chit then get a profile (for a freakin year) then take the alternate walk. The Navy allows for their PFT to be conducted on the stair master and uses some computerized calculation of calories burned in a set time. The air force just 3 years ago started mandating a annual PFT at all (that's right annual).

They got their PJs and their Green berets and their seals but across the board they are a bunch of pilsbury dough boys compared to the average Marine.

AAV Crewchief
03-16-10, 01:35 PM
The air force just 3 years ago started mandating a annual PFT at all (that's right annual).

Not true. I've been an AF reservist since 99 and we do the PT once per year until July 2010 when PT testing is twice per year.

Danny C Smith
03-16-10, 01:43 PM
I have been off of active duty since 1990.
44 yrs of age and I can still out anything my former
Army friend that is a young 36:evilgrin:
He just chalks it up to Marines being a bunch of
psycos junked up on adrinalin. lol:beer:

I just smile when he says that.

Really though, I am glad to hear the Army is upping the
training and even though they are not and never will be
MARINES, they are Military and need everything in the way of training
they can get.

Smitty:usmc:

tangovictor87
03-16-10, 01:49 PM
I remember in bootcamp having a first class PFT. 20 pull ups, 120 crunches and a 22:30 run. My Drill Instructors had me on the quarterdeck for my **** poor run time.

If you're doing max pull ups and max + 20 crunches, you're run time ideally should be better. At least down to 20 minutes. Your DI's were correct for teaching you that good can be improved to better.

polizei
03-16-10, 02:02 PM
I've never been able to get 20 pullups...we ran 3 PFT's in MP school (one every month) and I got 18 the first two, and on the last one I got 19 pullups, 5 times! LOL it was very funny afterwards...18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19 then I said screw it.

rickyracer
03-16-10, 02:06 PM
I seem to remember to have a purfect score, it was
20 pull ups
80 sit ups in less than 2 minutes
3 miles in 18 minutes.
But I have been out for over 35 years!

polizei
03-16-10, 02:22 PM
Same, except it's 100 sit ups in 2 minutes now. :flag:

HOWARDROARK3043
03-16-10, 02:40 PM
i am a Cpl. if I was a Sgt. and a Cpl. got a hire pft/cft then me I would take it personally, when I came back from Afghanistan,, a LCpl. in our shop heard I was a 300 pft'er and challenged me ---I looked at him and said you cant go from grade school ball to the world series,,,,,--so when the pft came i ran my 17 minute mile and he ran a 18 minute mile---he recieved a 300 but I still talk **** to him on how he is garbage ------COMMEND THE DESERVING--------- i talk trash to the 300 pft'r and do not even look at the Marine that got a 225(1st class))-------I want hard core roughnecks ---not some soft as Modern Warfare gamer----

the802
03-16-10, 03:40 PM
I seem to remember to have a purfect score, it was
20 pull ups
80 sit ups in less than 2 minutes
3 miles in 18 minutes.
But I have been out for over 35 years!

Its 100 sit ups now, but with a different form.

polizei
03-16-10, 03:56 PM
i am a Cpl. if I was a Sgt. and a Cpl. got a hire pft/cft then me I would take it personally, when I came back from Afghanistan,, a LCpl. in our shop heard I was a 300 pft'er and challenged me ---I looked at him and said you cant go from grade school ball to the world series,,,,,--so when the pft came i ran my 17 minute mile and he ran a 18 minute mile---he recieved a 300 but I still talk **** to him on how he is garbage ------COMMEND THE DESERVING--------- i talk trash to the 300 pft'r and do not even look at the Marine that got a 225(1st class))-------I want hard core roughnecks ---not some soft as Modern Warfare gamer----

Huh, guess I don't belong in the Corps. And I would venture to say probably 90% of the Corps can't/don't have a 300 PFT.

jetdawgg
03-16-10, 04:09 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/us-army-military-demotivational-poster-1242443008.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/sink45ny/619200820544PM_american_fat_soldier.jpg
http://img2.timeinc.net/health/images/slides/6-sweat-400x400.jpg

polizei
03-16-10, 08:35 PM
Hey, I've seen a few fat bodies in the Corps, by when I was at Ft. Leonard Wood this Marine took the top award...he MUST have been at LEAST 400 lbs, and he was a CPL! I about lost my freaking mind. He was looking for someone, not sure why he was there though...

SGT7477
03-16-10, 09:19 PM
I heard at one time part of the army's PFT was with a bike too, does anyone know for sure?

Integrity57
03-16-10, 09:44 PM
Negative on the stair master Sgt Q, only an eliptical machine or stationary bike are alternatives to the actual run in a Navy PFA. Folks who fail a PFA get put on mandatory PT 4 or 5 days a week and if a Sailor manages to fail 3 PFAs in a row they get Ad Sep-ed.

firedog974
03-16-10, 09:49 PM

And in your profile you say you entered the Corps in 2007, yet you can't remember you Plt #, nor your company??????? Right.....Poser, or wanna-be...

You arrogant ass little post means squat. The highest pft I ever got was a 278...I guess you are just more of a man, right? HA!! Dream on hard dog.....
You make me laugh..........

ameriken
03-16-10, 10:05 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0905/us-army-military-demotivational-poster-1242443008.jpg

He's the poster boy for their new marketing campaign "An Army of Two"

tangovictor87
03-16-10, 10:13 PM
And in your profile you say you entered the Corps in 2007, yet you can't remember you Plt #, nor your company??????? Right.....Poser, or wanna-be...

You arrogant ass little post means squat. The highest pft I ever got was a 278...I guess you are just more of a man, right? HA!! Dream on hard dog.....
You make me laugh..........

I thought the same thing! No platoon #, company, graduation date, duty station...

Lisa 23
03-16-10, 10:18 PM
I thought the same thing! No platoon #, company, graduation date, duty station...

He did at one point have in his profile that 666 was his platoon#.

Quinbo
03-16-10, 10:23 PM
Negative on the stair master Sgt Q, only an eliptical machine or stationary bike are alternatives to the actual run in a Navy PFA. Folks who fail a PFA get put on mandatory PT 4 or 5 days a week and if a Sailor manages to fail 3 PFAs in a row they get Ad Sep-ed.

I've only taken a couple Navy PFT's and they never cease to freak me out. There is also an alternate swim ... 1,000 meters in 1 hour or less. Are you kidding me? An hour to swim 10 laps? Their first event (you can fail the pft if you don't pass this one) , bend over and touch your toes.... That's right ladies and gents, if you can't bend over and touch your toes then you fail the Navy PFT.

The Air Force has the bike thing too and if you are stationed in a location that does not offer a bike that goes no where you can get a waiver on the PFT. If they don't have a bike and tread mill available then you don't have to take the PFT and that is unit wide.

hussaf
03-16-10, 10:26 PM

Actually, I'm quite certain that if you pass each portion at the minimum you still fail the PFT.

A first class PFT is still pretty much a joke. I am fat, out of shape, and ran a 239 while sick...on an icy path, with the pull-up bars set in a foot of snow (on an Army base, go figure no uses it but us) with the actual bars being covered in frost. I threw up once and stopped to retie my shoe (and had to dodge inconsiderate cyclists).

This is my worst PFT score ever (second worst was when the weather was so bad we ran indoors at Great Lakes Naval Station...horrible, something like 37 laps around a track with basketballs, sailors, and sailor's kids flying all over the place...and I had to get a running head start to be able to jump up to the high-azz pull-up bars, which were like three inches in diameter).

I totally agree that running five miles is good for the heart and lungs, but is too much given the scope of a military PFT. That kind of milage eats up joints and is non-condusive to battlefield readiness. I've always said we should run in flak and kevlar. I actually think the PRT isn't too bad an evaluation, but they really should include pull-ups. They are one of the best workouts one can do. In Jump school, most the Army kids could do the 1.5 in 10 min...which isn't too bad, but pretty unimpressive for 18 year old guys coming straight from BC or AIT.

polizei
03-17-10, 08:28 AM
Fastest time I've had is a 9:10 1.5miles and a 20:30 run. Like I said in my previous post, there was actually a Drill Sergeant yelling at "soldiers in training" for running 1.5miles slower than Marines running their 3 mile. How in the WORLD can you be in the military and not run 1.5miles in under 25 minutes?

Hanzo
03-17-10, 08:47 AM
If you're doing max pull ups and max + 20 crunches, you're run time ideally should be better. At least down to 20 minutes. Your DI's were correct for teaching you that good can be improved to better.

No arguement here, Corporal. I should've mentioned that I LOVE that about the Corps. There's no such thing as "good enough". I was a turd at running and that issue was addressed, which is the way it should be.

kenrobg30
03-17-10, 09:45 AM
I've got to tell you people, I admire every one of you, who have gone through today's Boot Camp, and Basic training. In my time, we didn't have half the requirement that you have to meet. We had our 'Obstacle Courses', our twenty mile marches, and our calisthenics, but the things I picture, in my mind, of the training you've gone through, makes me wonder, we ever got to wear the uniform. This is not intended , as a joke. We did not have the kind of training you've had, I wish we had been that well prepared, to face our enemy. Maybe the casualty lists, would have been a little shorter. :flag: S/F!!!! Ken

polizei
03-17-10, 10:16 AM
Yes, but I have to say, the mentality of the Marines now, and from what I know of "back then" has changed drastically. I honestly can say that I don't think I could have joined back in WWII, or even Vietnam. I applaud every one of you old salts. Semper Fi Ken!

kenrobg30
03-17-10, 11:23 AM
Yes, but I have to say, the mentality of the Marines now, and from what I know of "back then" has changed drastically. I honestly can say that I don't think I could have joined back in WWII, or even Vietnam. I applaud every one of you old salts. Semper Fi Ken!
Thank you Polizei, We, as you, just did our job. :marine: S/F!!! Ken

Seattlefungus
05-02-10, 08:59 AM
Hey WMarine! Nice Picture of Gen. Gray. I have a story about him. I was in 4th Marines in 74 and he was our Regimental Commander. He had a policy for the 4th. No motor transport for tranining for assigned training sites under 30 miles away. For Camp Hansen, Okinawa. That was the whole island training areas.. LOL. He took the whole regiment out on a 25 miler in the rain with marching pack. (Haversack and blanket roll days). We caught a 20 minute breather at about the 6 mile mark and one of my squad mates was F*ing he should request mast over this Bullsh!t! When right up collum there up walks Col. Gray and the Reg Sgt Mjr. The Col says "What's your B!tch Marine? Here I am, Instant Request Mast!! He snaps to and replys "Nothing Sir". Col. Gray says "Glad to hear it"!, "Now let's continue our stroll".

Beltayn
05-02-10, 05:13 PM
I've got to tell you people, I admire every one of you, who have gone through today's Boot Camp, and Basic training. In my time, we didn't have half the requirement that you have to meet. We had our 'Obstacle Courses', our twenty mile marches, and our calisthenics, but the things I picture, in my mind, of the training you've gone through, makes me wonder, we ever got to wear the uniform. This is not intended , as a joke. We did not have the kind of training you've had, I wish we had been that well prepared, to face our enemy. Maybe the casualty lists, would have been a little shorter. :flag: S/F!!!! Ken
Semper Fi Corporal.
Your post made me stop short and think.

firedog974
05-02-10, 05:24 PM

Yet, you can't remember your boot plt #????:evilgrin:

Komenko
05-02-10, 06:03 PM

This photo was taken at Al Asad, Iraq I believe. next to that trailer in the background was a Pizza Hut, Burger King, Barber shop, some other little shops and the Phone Center. Subway was in the theater with the green bean coffee shop! and yes I ate at everyone of those along with the chow hall. never PT'd while out there! but i did sweat my ass off from working the MSRs and projects on base!