PDA

View Full Version : husband graduates MOS in 3 days?

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 08:00 PM
Hi, i am new here, but i need some advice please. My husband has been in schooling/boot camp/etc since last May and is finally completing his last 3 days before graduation. His MOS is 0861 FO. they have not told us yet where we are going, apparently when he graduates friday morning they will give him his orders then. I want to move with him ASAP but i cant even look for housing since we dont know where we are going, so what can i do to make things quicker and easier? I want to leave immediately i dont want anything to slow us down so if there's anything i need to do now please tell me.

Also if you have any idea where's the most likely place we'll end up please let me know, i'm dying to know where we will end up living. We are married and we have a 10 month old daughter together. I know that people say that married men are most likely not to go overseas but i've heard conflicting opinons on that. ??

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Phantom Blooper
03-15-10, 09:00 PM
Since his school is in California it is possible to get orders to Camp Pendleton....or he can go the East coast and go to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

basically wherever the is big guns and a need he can get orders and that could mean overseas....

In that case for his rank that would be an unaccompanied tour.

It boils down to the old saying of,"The needs of the Marine Corps."

Staying on the West coast or going to the East coast you will need to get off base housing....in the civilian sector....which can be expensive....and be put on the waiting list for base housing.

Good luck!:evilgrin:

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 09:05 PM
Since his school is in California it is possible to get orders to Camp Pendleton....or he can go the East coast and go to Camp Lejeune in North Carolina.

basically wherever the is big guns and a need he can get orders and that could mean overseas....

In that case for his rank that would be an unaccompanied tour.

It boils down to the old saying of,"The needs of the Marine Corps."

Staying on the West coast or going to the East coast you will need to get off base housing....in the civilian sector....which can be expensive....and be put on the waiting list for base housing.

Good luck!:evilgrin:

Thank you.....do you think there is a high chance of him doing an unaccompanied tour? Im really, really hoping not because we've already been seperated for nearly 10 months except for occasional visits and i really want to live with him at least for a little while again :(

ARTYPIG
03-15-10, 10:41 PM
He may also end up in 29 Palms. 3/11 is there and it's a good place to be if you are in the Arty field. I hope all goes well!

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 10:43 PM
He may also end up in 29 Palms. 3/11 is there and it's a good place to be if you are in the Arty field. I hope all goes well!
what is 3/11 if you dont mind my asking?
29 palms would be good but we are really hoping for camp pendleton but anything is fine as long as i can go with him!

Quinbo
03-15-10, 10:59 PM
Any thing that ends in a 10 an 11 or a 12 is an artillery unit. There is really no hard and fast way of predicting where his orders will send him. He could end up in Ft. Sill Ok or K-bay or quite a list of other places. For these last few days you'll just have to grit your teeth and gut out until his orders come in. If you are in deers and on his orders then there is no need to jump the gun and get a head start. Uncle suger will come and pack up all your junk at move you at governement expense to where ever you are going next.

Best of luck to you and keep us in the loop on how it all turns out.

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 11:02 PM
Any thing that ends in a 10 an 11 or a 12 is an artillery unit. There is really no hard and fast way of predicting where his orders will send him. He could end up in Ft. Sill Ok or K-bay or quite a list of other places. For these last few days you'll just have to grit your teeth and gut out until his orders come in. If you are in deers and on his orders then there is no need to jump the gun and get a head start. Uncle suger will come and pack up all your junk at move you at governement expense to where ever you are going next.

Best of luck to you and keep us in the loop on how it all turns out.
omg i hope not ft sill lol he spent 4 months there, 3 of those months just spent waiting for classes to start. i visited him there twice we both dont like that place lol.

i am NOT on deers we've been trying to get on with no success??? do i need to do that somehow before we move?

tangovictor87
03-15-10, 11:04 PM
To be honest I would let him get settled in at his duty station before you move with him.

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 11:06 PM
To be honest I would let him get settled in at his duty station before you move with him.

for a few days?? it might be a few days before we can go, maybe a week. he wants me and baby to come asap

Quinbo
03-15-10, 11:07 PM
If you are a documented dependant then by all means get enrolled in deers and get an ID card. Hai Karumba! You should already have that. Water under the bridge now but it could have been squared away when you visited him in OK.

WifeInL0v3
03-15-10, 11:08 PM
If you are a documented dependant then by all means get enrolled in deers and get an ID card. Hai Karumba! You should already have that. Water under the bridge now but it could have been squared away when you visited him in OK.

yeah we did try we just keep running into obstacles. but we can still move without it right? i have a 30 day military id that expired...

Quinbo
03-16-10, 01:58 AM
What color is your expired ID?

TinDragon
03-16-10, 04:18 AM
You can be stationed overseas... maybe for your MOS it's not as likely but there's tons of married folks over here, including E2-E3 (and I'm sure the occasional private). It'd be an accompanied tour, 3 years long. Base housing would pretty much be mandatory.

Phantom Blooper
03-16-10, 04:41 AM
When did the Marine Corps change to accompanied tours for LCPL and below to duty stations overseas?:evilgrin:

TinDragon
03-16-10, 04:44 AM
When did the Marine Corps change to accompanied tours for LCPL and below to duty stations overseas?:evilgrin:

I dunno, but at least two years ago, probably much more. They were actually discussing that with us in MOS school saying if we went to Japan and were married that we'd probably be sent to mainland instead of Okinawa (though that didn't really happen).

SgtBoyed
03-16-10, 07:04 AM
As far as I know, if you get stationed overseas. It's unaccompanied for one year and accompanied for 3 years. I'm almost positive that rank wasn't an issue and I went in the Corps in 2002. However, it could vary by MOS maybe. In fact, my wife and kids were allowed to live with me in 29 Palms while I was in MOS school. We had base housing and everything. Normally, that's not allowed...but our MOS school was a special case because our school lasted close to a year, so they allowed us to have POVs and dependents. That's the new Corps for you. lol Note: My MOS school was Electronics Maintenance

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 02:32 PM
What color is your expired ID?

Its gold/white

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 02:36 PM
You can be stationed overseas... maybe for your MOS it's not as likely but there's tons of married folks over here, including E2-E3 (and I'm sure the occasional private). It'd be an accompanied tour, 3 years long. Base housing would pretty much be mandatory.

Are you serious?? If he goes overseas i can go with him now?? He is a PFC right now. i'm seriously worrying myself to death that they'll send him overseas and i wont get to live with him again for 2 more years. Its been almost a year already we've been apart!

tdrt
03-16-10, 03:11 PM
Don't start getting all worked up when you don't even know yet. Just hope for the best and stop worrying so soon. Orders can be changed or modified.

jhankenson
03-16-10, 03:32 PM
I agree with Tango Victor, I saw this far too many times and the wife and kids stay in a hotel all day and the husband is checking in. For the first two weeks, he will be running all over checking in and will have very little time to look for housing (off base)while hes checking in, he can apply for base housing, but there is a lot to do in the first couple of weeks. You will want to hang tight and let him settle in and get you enrolled in deers and have all of the paperwork settled first. Not to be mean but there is no way of telling where hes going so there is no point until he gets his orders to start anything.

tdrt
03-16-10, 03:37 PM
Excellent advice. Let him get settled, Wife. I know it's been a long time, but just hang in there a few more weeks. Then after being a Marine wife for a year or so, you'll be ready to kick his ass out on deployment. :)

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 07:29 PM
Excellent advice. Let him get settled, Wife. I know it's been a long time, but just hang in there a few more weeks. Then after being a Marine wife for a year or so, you'll be ready to kick his ass out on deployment. :)

omg never lol. i wish he would never deploy.

WifeInL0v3
03-16-10, 07:30 PM
thanks everyone for the help. i'm just sorting all our stuff and getting rid of clothes and things we dont want to bring with us and throwing things away we dont need or want. less baggage that way. :)

tdrt
03-17-10, 09:19 AM
Good Luck, Jennifer. Let us know where you get stationed.

AAV Crewchief
03-17-10, 09:43 AM
omg i hope not ft sill lol he spent 4 months there, 3 of those months just spent waiting for classes to start. i visited him there twice we both dont like that place lol.

i am NOT on deers we've been trying to get on with no success??? do i need to do that somehow before we move?

You aren't on DEERS and you've been married to him since he joined the Corps or am I not interpreting things correctly here?

AAV Crewchief
03-17-10, 09:54 AM

Yeah, I've met lots of Marine wives like you...ship ain't over the horizon and you are already at the Thunderbird in Jax.

AAV Crewchief
03-17-10, 09:55 AM
Are you serious?? If he goes overseas i can go with him now?? He is a PFC right now. i'm seriously worrying myself to death that they'll send him overseas and i wont get to live with him again for 2 more years. Its been almost a year already we've been apart!

Marines should not get married until they make Sgt.

tdrt
03-17-10, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've met lots of Marine wives like you...ship ain't over the horizon and you are already at the Thunderbird in Jax.

I was never married. I was having too much fun! Why buy the pig when all you want is a little sausage.

WifeInL0v3
03-17-10, 10:01 AM

I was married to him two years BEFORE he joined, thank you

tdrt
03-17-10, 10:02 AM

Gotta agree with you. I tell my son he can't get married until he's 30.

WifeInL0v3
03-17-10, 10:19 AM

yeah...its really unreasonable of me to want to live with my husband after being seperated for almost a year. :confused: have you considered that maybe he asked me to do everything i can to make sure i move with him as soon as possible?
he graduates MOS in 2 days i'm not jumping the gun by asking questions about moving and packing etc. thanks for your advice! :usmc:

tdrt
03-17-10, 10:31 AM
He was just kidding, Jennifer; and it was directed to me, not you. You gotta realize that most Marines on here are mostly full of ****! :)

WifeInL0v3
03-17-10, 10:37 AM
He was just kidding, Jennifer; and it was directed to me, not you. You gotta realize that most Marines on here are mostly full of ****! :)

Thanks you're right :-) i usually dont take things too seriously, it just hit a nerve. its been a long wait...

tdrt
03-17-10, 10:41 AM
No problem. You're just probably horney. It's understandable. :)

WifeInL0v3
03-17-10, 10:49 AM
No problem. You're just probably horney. It's understandable. :)

wow..... no im just tired of waiting lol

fastgirl07
03-18-10, 03:34 AM

im going to have to agree with tango on this one.. let him get there wherever it maybe.. get himself settled into his new unit and see where he would feel comfortable with you guys.. especially with having a lil one and all.. just dont get too over whelmed if he decides on doing it that way its all part of being with the Marine Corps or any military for that matter lol..

i hope all goes well for you though

WifeInL0v3
03-18-10, 06:14 PM
thanks so much everyone for the advice! we are going to camp lejuene!

fastgirl07
03-18-10, 10:34 PM
thanks so much everyone for the advice! we are going to camp lejuene!

ill be there like april next year if you ever wanna meet up.. and i know your tired of waiting i would be too.. but remember its just around the corner and you'll be together again

WifeInL0v3
03-18-10, 10:37 PM
ill be there like april next year if you ever wanna meet up.. and i know your tired of waiting i would be too.. but remember its just around the corner and you'll be together again
thanks i'm excited!! so we're hoping within two weeks we'll be able to go with him