PDA

View Full Version : PRK/Lasik

TinDragon
03-14-10, 01:06 PM
I apologize if I missed something searching through the forums, but every thread I looked in was a poolee asking information about getting eye surgery done before boot camp, how to go about getting on "the list" and such. I'm already a Marine and my question of interest is a little different.

Right now I'm stationed in Okinawa. I'm due to rotate to my next duty station July-ish. (I don't know where it'll be yet, but chances are high it'll be 2nd Intel in Lejeune, or HQMC.) According to what I've dug up so far (which includes a form to fill out to get on "the list") you have to be 21 to apply for it. I turn 21 at the end of this month... leaving me April, May, and June with my unit. The form says that you need to wait 30 days before even inquiring about the status, so that leaves May and June.

I have several related questions. Firstly, is that two months enough time to fly to Hawaii, get the surgery, recover, and come back with enough time to check out and go to my next duty station? If not, could I either send in the form early with the knowledge that I'd be 21 before the surgery, or so that when I get to my next duty station I'm ready to go get the surgery as soon as I get there? Or is this a situation where I'm going to have to wait until my PCS to even start the process?

Thanks Marines for your answers in advance. And I'm sure I'll think of more questions in the meantime. I'm really interested in getting this surgery done as soon as possible. (Last time I got glasses, the doc said to be careful with the lenses as they were so thick they didn't fit properly in the glasses, haha.)

gwamo1
03-15-10, 09:26 AM
I had Lasik done last May. When you submit your form to your company office, they prioritize you on a number basis, 1-3. Priority 1 means you'll get it done within 30 days, 2 is within 3-6 months and 3 is 12 months and beyond. You should worry about what priority you get first, to see how long you have to wait.

Wardawg
03-18-10, 11:57 PM
Had PRK done last June, I was 20, Priority 2, waited about 4 months. But those 4 months went really quick, it felt like 2 months.

But what Gwamo1 said, " You should worry about what priority you get first, to see how long you have to wait."

slug
03-19-10, 02:03 PM
I just had LASIK done last week. It seems the above stated waiting times are vastly different from mine, so it must depend on the location the procedure will be done. Priority 1 is what you want, but not many get it. I was a 1 because of my mos and billet, and still had to wait about 4 months, average for all priorities is about 8 to 12 months here at Pendleton and socal bases.

As for the process you need to go through, simply go for an eye exam, circle "LASIK" along with "glasses" and "contacts" and they will have you schedule another exam. That second exam will be to check if you are qualified for LASIK, both physically your eyes, and your duty station/deployment rotation/eas/etc. After you are cleared, they will toss you over to the LASIK department, and another exam through them to get the data of your eyes. Then when available, your pre-op appointment followed by your op and numerous follow-ups.

Hope this helps, I'm very pleased with the results.

gwamo1
03-19-10, 02:25 PM
You waited 4 months as a priority 1? Ha, that sucks.

blackup
03-19-10, 02:41 PM
Priority is influenced by MOS, I was priority 1 when I got LASIK as an avionics tech, which surprised me.

TheSloth
04-29-10, 05:35 AM
Does anyone know if one can get a waiver for the age requirement, or alternatively if I submit my paper before I'm 21 by say 3 or 4 months will it still be accepted? That way I can get my name on the list to cut down on time wasted waiting.

gwamo1
04-29-10, 08:07 AM
It's like anything else man. They don't really 'look' at that stuff too well..... If you know what I mean.