PDA

View Full Version : what do grunts think of trackers?

HawkerOneNiner
03-13-10, 02:08 PM
I have almost 2 years TIS, its a long story but im getting reclassed into AAV crewman... I originally was going for tank crewman but they put me with tracks but thats still great (should I think that?) I want to see action and I hated being a POG. I heard multiple things about tracks... I heard they are hard mofos and if thats true thats is awesome! What do you grunts think of trackers? Are they worthy of your respect?

S/F

Socal2361
03-13-10, 02:12 PM
how did you enter the Marine Corps in 07 but graduate boot camp in Sep08?

HawkerOneNiner
03-13-10, 02:15 PM
fixed

Kegler300
03-13-10, 02:16 PM
how did you enter the Marine Corps in 07 but graduate boot camp in Sep08?

Delayed Entry Program.

When I was a grunt, I loved trackers anytime we could catch a ride, just like I loved Motor-T!

HawkerOneNiner
03-13-10, 02:18 PM
I heard trackers often deploy as riflemen companies to afghanistan... is this true?

Socal2361
03-13-10, 02:21 PM
To answer your question, all Marines are worthy of my respect, we all fight and work towards the same goal of winning our nations battles, and we do a great job of it in whatever capacity the Marine Corps places us, and seeing action isn't glamorous as you may think.

Troutzilla
03-13-10, 02:30 PM
I heard trackers often deploy as riflemen companies to afghanistan... is this true?

Correct me if I'm wrong....but aren't we ALL riflemen no matter what our mos would be:thumbup:

Semper Fi

:flag:

montana
03-13-10, 03:37 PM
i staied as far away from tracks in nam as i could.....saw quite a few of them blowed all to smitherings...liked the fire support though.....never thought of anyone in guns tracks ect as pog
Troutzilla...thats what they told me...all Marines are first riflemen then what ever their mos mite be...and you know our DI never lied

FistFu68
03-13-10, 04:19 PM
:evilgrin: Its all Good but Me personally I felt safer Humping on The Ankle Express!!!But I Respect all Marines 'cept a Few Non Believing Queers on this site...S/F That With all do Respect :marine: :flag:

AAV Crewchief
03-13-10, 04:44 PM
I have almost 2 years TIS, its a long story but im getting reclassed into AAV crewman... I originally was going for tank crewman but they put me with tracks but thats still great (should I think that?) I want to see action and I hated being a POG. I heard multiple things about tracks... I heard they are hard mofos and if thats true thats is awesome! What do you grunts think of trackers? Are they worthy of your respect?

S/F

Damn, tracks ain't the end of the world. Having been in Recon and Tracks I can tell you Tracks has its advantages and some disadvantages:
Advantages-
1) You aren't sleeping in the rain.:D
2) You aren't sleeping in the cold (well cold and out in the open).
3) Your legs will never feel like they are about to fall of because you won't be humping from Schwab to Hansen anytime soon. (Thats for all my fellow infantrymen who have made that hump and some Tracks guys as well.)
4) You have a hell of a lot more protection in the vehicle than you do outside of it.
5) There are two speeds on a Trac...STOP and WIDE OPEN!!!
6) You get stuck with less BS duty to pull while deployed because of your vehicle responsibilities.
7) Tracks school is a Del Mar and there are lots of hot Cali girls in the surrounding countryside who LIKE Marines.

Disadvantages-
1) You now have to maintain crew served weapons as well as personal.
2) You now have to maintain your fitness and keep a vehicle running and off of the "deadline".
3) Busting rust...and bloody knuckles.
4) Smelling like diesel fuel or JP5.
5) You now have a vehicle that gets inspected for IG and CG along with your personal gear that grunts carry as well.

HawkerOneNiner
03-14-10, 02:04 PM
do trackers bring a cooler for cold drinks like tankers do?

AAV Crewchief
03-14-10, 07:03 PM
do trackers bring a cooler for cold drinks like tankers do?

How about filling up the front pontoon area with ice and beer!!! True story from CLNC...."OLD SCHOOL".

Zulu 36
03-14-10, 07:37 PM
Last time I checked, Tracks were a lot better than swimming with all that gear on from ship to shore.

SlingerDun
03-14-10, 07:44 PM
Who cares what a grunt thinks of the track MOS, but since you mentioned it and as i recall: grunts think just about everybody who is not currently humping is a skate, even other grunts. How's that?:beer:

--->Dave

Phantom Blooper
03-14-10, 08:01 PM
Are trackers Marines? <br />
<br />
Are tankers Marines? <br />
<br />
Is motor transport Marines? <br />
<br />
Are the air wingers Marines? <br />
<br />
Can I have a Y?

BR34
03-14-10, 08:19 PM
2 years, 2 MOSs, and only 2 ranks?

What has went horribly wrong in your enlistment?

ggyoung
03-15-10, 11:40 AM
It seamed in Vietnam tanks were blessed some of the time and cursed some of the time. Tanks are called mortar magnets and mortars are good to grunts.

HST
03-15-10, 02:37 PM
I thought they were neat.They didn't have to hump around carrying your life on back. They didn't have to dig a hole every night and lay in the mud if it was wet. Food and water were no problem, they could carry a whole bunch. Small arms bounced off...and then I saw one that took an arty round right through the turret at Con Thien... and then the dirt and mud looked a lot nicer.

ggyoung
03-15-10, 03:19 PM
I thought they were neat.They didn't have to hump around carrying your life on back. They didn't have to dig a hole every night and lay in the mud if it was wet. Food and water were no problem, they could carry a whole bunch. Small arms bounced off...and then I saw one that took an arty round right through the turret at Con Thien... and then the dirt and mud looked a lot nicer.

HST You are most right on that. I seen what a 57MM did to one. Just a little hole through the turrent but the inside was way different. Rounds went off and blood, bones and guts. No thank you.

HawkerOneNiner
03-15-10, 07:11 PM
are you guys trying to scare me?

BR34
03-15-10, 07:13 PM
Again, why are you a PFC, after 2 years TIS, and on to your second MOS already?

HawkerOneNiner
03-15-10, 07:15 PM
Again, why are you a PFC, after 2 years TIS, and on to your second MOS already?

sorry but i would rather not disclose that information here

BR34
03-15-10, 07:17 PM
Nuff said, I can draw my own conclusions from that.

HST
03-16-10, 08:02 AM
are you guys trying to scare me?

Not at all brother. No matter where you're at it's all a matter of luck but then so is life. When your time's up, it's up and nobody knows when that is except Sky 6 Actual. You do your best, keep your word and faith and assume everything else will,be ok no matter what happens.

Silentwarrior17
03-16-10, 02:31 PM
Tracks are fine for the ride...and the ride alone. I never had any problem with the Trackers but a lot of other Grunts did. Like I said, I liked it for the ride from A to B. Just wait until it's 110 deg outside (feels like 200 inside the track), you're in the ocean so you can't open the top hatches and a fire starts in the engine. From there the blowers stop and the track is about 10 minutes away from sinking and you ending up in the water. LOL man did I hate that day...but at least we didn't have to hit the beach and went back to the ship.

AAV Crewchief
03-16-10, 03:09 PM
Tracks are fine for the ride...and the ride alone. I never had any problem with the Trackers but a lot of other Grunts did. Like I said, I liked it for the ride from A to B. Just wait until it's 110 deg outside (feels like 200 inside the track), you're in the ocean so you can't open the top hatches and a fire starts in the engine. From there the blowers stop and the track is about 10 minutes away from sinking and you ending up in the water. LOL man did I hate that day...but at least we didn't have to hit the beach and went back to the ship.

Oh yeah, Tracs catch on fire everyday.......:scared::scared::scared: Not. During my time only one Trac sank (in the Philippines)and it was because the Navy didn't ballast down the LST correctly and the ramp was too high in the water which caused the final drive to get torn out and a big hole opened up sinking the Trac pretty quick. Everyone was able to get out of the Trac without any casualties. Don't sweat it.

fmoyer
03-16-10, 03:25 PM
SlingerDun got it right Semper Fi !!!

FistFu68
03-16-10, 06:51 PM
:evilgrin: LMFAO-BR-I was a Cpl 3xs got out Honorably with a Hashmark and a Chest full of SALAD at the 5 year mark as a PFC.Liberty was my worst enemy loved Breaking Queers Jaws and Teeth in Georgetown that Hit on Me!!!S/F That :D :iwo:

Quinbo
03-16-10, 07:01 PM
That frackin sinking am-trac drill could have mother teresa cussing. Everybody jump off and swim to shore. Shore was just a speck on the horizon. Fill up your k-pock. The self inflator is corroded and don't work so just blow in the tube while swimming with 80lbs of gear. Get paired up and start swimming. The trackers had this long wooden oar they used to push the grunts away from the track. There was a reason for that.... even at idle the tracks are slowly turning and trying to climb back on might very well get you sent through the meat grinder.

Freakin swim for what felt like 8 hours and hit shore. The am-tracs roll up on the beach and all are dry and happy. Your ass is so smoked you couldn't hit them if you wanted to.

No love lost there! LOL

HawkerOneNiner
03-17-10, 05:03 PM
Thank you Marines for your input.

I am curious though... Do trackers wear steel toe boots? I currently have wornout boots and I'm about to buy some danners but not to sure if I should go with steel toe or reg