PDA

View Full Version : Swimming at BootCamp

FastEddie4004
03-13-10, 02:00 PM
Hello Marines,

I have looked everywhere for swimming quals for boot camp, but can't seem to find to much about it.

I am wondering what exactly you must do when you get to the pool.

I am not exactly a fast swimmer or anything, mainly because i have a problem using my legs, i tend to just use my arms to move around the pool.

Will you have to complete a timed test? Will they teach you how to swim properly at boot camp?

What can you recommend for treading water for long periods of time. Im sure i can tread (to be honest haven't really tried, i more or less move around rather than stay in one spot while in the water.

Thanks Marines.

TinDragon
03-13-10, 02:24 PM
This is taken from a little book we have up at work about swim quals.

"Combat Water Survival, Fourth Class (CWS4). Emphasis is on personal survival without combat gear. CWS4 training will include instruction on the Beginner's Swimmer Stroke (front and back), drown-proofing, and treading water. Minimum skill level for all enlisted Marines (unless assigned MOS dictates otherwise). ... Uniform for qualifying is utilities only (no boots)."

It then goes on to explain what's required of you, which basically consists of 25 meters of beginner's swimmer stroke (front or back) or survival stroke, or any combination, followed by what is essentially treating water for four minutes (just don't touch the bottom or make any significant movement across the pool), and then swim another 25 meters. I dunno how old this book is, but I think you get out after the first 25 meter swim and jump off a high board, then continue on with the treading and swimming.

Don't worry about passing, you have several days just to get CWS4 done if you need to, and if your DIs call out for Iron Ducks you can raise your hand for even more time at the pool.

Kegler300
03-13-10, 02:30 PM
I didn't know how to swim when I went to boot camp, or even when I graduated. I eventually learned and became a 1st class swimmer, thanks to the Marine Corps.

Lisa 23
03-13-10, 02:55 PM
A few questions about swim qualifications.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94037&highlight=swim+qual

1st class swim qual
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43574

Recruit Training
http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

FastEddie4004
03-13-10, 09:39 PM
Thanks Marines. :)

Like i said, i know how to swim. I just tend not to use my legs (not sure why) i rely on my arms. But i am not as fast as everyone just because i don't use my legs. If they ask me, "does anyone here not know how to swim", i will probably just raise my hand

KidnapSix
03-14-10, 01:48 PM
Just graduated on the 5th. I only did swim qual 4 but it was easy. From what I remember alls we did was swim in boots and cammies accross the pool (width). Then did a little jump off the platform. Then we had to tread water for 2 munites. And do a little more swim accross the pool. Swimming anyway you wanted as long as you could swim.