PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Marine get out and join another branch of service?

redman1
03-13-10, 08:15 AM
I was just thinking about how proud I am to be a Marine and all the respect I've always gotten from any branch of the service and civilians.
It made me think what makes a Marine get out of the Corps and join another branch of service?
How does it feel to be in another branch of service after being a Marine the BEST OF THE BEST
Semper Fi Redman

Rocky C
03-13-10, 08:23 AM
Interesting Question Buddy???
I have no Input on that but would like to see the Responses.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

doc h fmf
03-13-10, 08:28 AM
Will during the 80's alot of our brothers joined the Navy to become Navy Corpman. I knew about 5 brothers. SEMPER FI OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Garyius
03-13-10, 08:38 AM
I got out of the Corps and joined the national guard for the state tuition waiver while I went to college.

I am proud of having been a Marine. However...

I got called up for a year for one of Clinton's BS little war exercises. I got sent to a base support battalion in Germany. The active duty army officers didn't like us because we were guard, so they stuck us in their worst barracks, two to a room (regular army were one to a room) and stuck us with lots of extra work and extra long shifts the regular guys were not doing.

I still lived twice as good, with more time off, and more support, better clubs and rec facilities when I stayed on base then I had when I was an air winger.

The army was also much better about special pays for things like shift work.

The army and air force take better care of their men.

GSEMarine94
03-13-10, 09:11 AM
I had two reasons,
Age, I wanted to come back as an officer. After talking with the OSO he said he could get me a waiver but told me the chances of it being turned down was about 99.9%.
More opportunities, I wanted to get back in as a reservist. I had a good job just wanted to be able to experience the commoradarie/brotherhood that I missed so much. Unfortunately the Corps has very few units around here (only one in a couple hundred mile radious). Whereas the Guard has units all over the place.
I can say that while I do wear an Army uniform, my soldiers have nicknamed me "The Marine." While I can't starch my uniforms I do iron them, in fact I iron my cover to make it look as best as I can, considering how bad they look normally.
I have also demanded that my junior soldiers show respect to my NCO's (they make them respect me).
I could go on and on about how I use my experiences as a Marine to train my soldiers.

MarshRunner
03-13-10, 10:23 AM
Got out and after about 6 months had the itch to still be in the military ... joined up with the Army Guard unit near me. Got married about 2 years later and wife joined the Navy ... she wound up getting stationed in New Orleans with the P-3 aircraft ... a USAF reserve unit was changing aircraft to the A-10 and where hiring Air Reserve Technicians (ART civil service and military) was hired and did an inter service transfer ... have been with them since.
Will say this everybody that comes in contact with me knows I did not start out in the Army or Air Force ... my persona and attitude speaks nothing but the Corps.

SF
Mike

kman311
03-13-10, 01:38 PM
The Marines I know that did were looking for a new or different challenge. All were 03's and all were Sgt's. They were all good to outstanding Marines (no ****birds). But, in their view, the Army offered more opportunities and flexability to move into the special ops fields than the Marines did at the time. A couple went Ranger and I know at least one more went Special Forces then eventually Delta.
I've talked with them since, though not lately and all were proud of their Marine heritage and thought it helped them.

Supersquishy
03-13-10, 01:48 PM
Great question, I know of several Marine buddies that transfered over to the National Guard after getting out of the Marines, and Im on the fence as we speak. I can't speak for my friends, but for me even thinking about it has to do how they process you back in and the hastles and BS I have to fight. I know I could walk into the National Guard Monday and Ill be swearing in in a couple weeks. But for now Im going to wait a little more, been working on this for almost a year now!

Socal2361
03-13-10, 01:54 PM
I have been thinking of switching to the Army after this contract is up for the reason of trying to go special forces. The Army gives more opportunities to go special forces.

mjhpgh
03-13-10, 02:15 PM
I am also an Air Reserve Technician (ART).I was a 0331 in the USMCR .There are many ways to serve at different times of your life.There are things i miss about being in the Corps ,but there are things about the Air Force that are good also.

usmc3521
03-13-10, 03:17 PM
Great question, I know of several Marine buddies that transfered over to the National Guard after getting out of the Marines, and Im on the fence as we speak. I can't speak for my friends, but for me even thinking about it has to do how they process you back in and the hastles and BS I have to fight. I know I could walk into the National Guard Monday and Ill be swearing in in a couple weeks. But for now Im going to wait a little more, been working on this for almost a year now!

sorry to go off topic but why is it that you are having trouble getting back in? Ive been out for ten years now and I have my choice of mos's and will be back in in less than 2 months!

Supersquishy
03-13-10, 03:36 PM
sorry to go off topic but why is it that you are having trouble getting back in? Ive been out for ten years now and I have my choice of mos's and will be back in in less than 2 months!

Ill tell you in PM. Some people work harder than others, thats all im saying in public.

aussiemarine
03-13-10, 04:23 PM
I married an Aussie girl and moved to Australia. Hated civie life. Too old to get back in the Corps, or any other US Service, so now Aussie Army. But people who know my background respected me evan as a recruit and am often asked in situations "how would the Marines do it?" or I get comments, "This must suck to you after being in a real military" But the Aussies are good, Better than US Army, but not to the brotherhood.

redman1
03-13-10, 04:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for your response to this question.
I have always looked down on all branches except the Marines and I still can't imagine being anything but a Marine.
Seems to me that everyone can't be a Marine but anyone can get in anything else.
Semper Fi Redman

mjhpgh
03-13-10, 05:13 PM
There are several of us in my AF unit that are Marines. Just about everyone knows who "we" are.

Quinbo
03-13-10, 05:15 PM
I attempted to join the Navy a few years back but couldn't pass the hearing test. I never did think I was lowering myself by doing so.

Th3 Maelstr0m
03-14-10, 06:29 AM
like many said, SOF opportunities are plentiful in the Army, but I think the Corps' have opened up a lot with the expansion of Recon & the coming of MARSOC.
another thing that some guys i know went for is that promotions come a lot quicker in the Army. the "E7 in 7" attracts a lot of guys, especially in the 03 field with the cutting scores so high.
lastly, i know a lot of guys who went army b/c of the new tattoo policy. they had their tatts before the policy came out but their unit never documented them like they were suppose to, so they got the shaft when reenlistment time came up or if they wanted to go back in. im in a similar predicament now w/ trying to do the reserves. I had to have my chain write letters saying I had the tattoos, then have to get them all pictured & send them to Manpower & Reserve Affairs, & hope they gimme the ok. im talkin to a NG recruiter about EOD too in case it doesnt work out w/ the reserves. There are some good units in the guard (such as EOD, SF, etc.) but my heart is still with the Corps, so hopefully it works out.

fespar
03-14-10, 07:04 AM
Here's why I never considered another Service.I never looked at the benefits,college tuitions or any other "favors".I joined the Marines to be a Marine.I'll never be anything else.No disrespect to those who joined other Services,I'm just talking about me.The Marine Corps offered me blood,sweat and the priviledge to serve.Who could ask for more?

redman1
03-14-10, 07:52 AM
Here's why I never considered another Service.I never looked at the benefits,college tuitions or any other "favors".I joined the Marines to be a Marine.I'll never be anything else.No disrespect to those who joined other Services,I'm just talking about me.The Marine Corps offered me blood,sweat and the priviledge to serve.Who could ask for more?

OOH RAH!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
That's how I feel but thanks to all of you who responded I look at it different now. Thanks to all of you for your service no matter which branch of service.
It sure is good to be able to ask questions and talk about things. Helps everyone understand what makes us all tick.
But in the end like they say Once A Marine, Always A Marine
Semper Fi Redman

hbharrison
03-14-10, 08:20 AM
I knew several that got out of the Corp and joind the National guard and they had one heck of a time they said that no one in the guard gave them much respect and they would get out but there were no reserve Corp untis around the area. They were going for the retirement. Don't know about getting out and going active in other services that just don't make good smarts to me.

Semper Fi:flag:

AAV Crewchief
03-16-10, 02:17 PM
I was just thinking about how proud I am to be a Marine and all the respect I've always gotten from any branch of the service and civilians.
It made me think what makes a Marine get out of the Corps and join another branch of service?
How does it feel to be in another branch of service after being a Marine the BEST OF THE BEST
Semper Fi Redman

For me it was a matter of a few things(I chose to do the reserve deal):

1) I can stay in and serve many, many more years as an AF reservist than I could have as a Marine reservist due to the HYT rules. Basically, AF reservists can do 33 years of cumulative service at E5 or above. I will stay until they boot my old ass out for HYT.

2) I wanted to go to college and FINISH. The Corps has never been big on continuing education, especially for those attached to line ground forces units. Train, inspect, deploy...train, inspect, deploy...got really tired of that cycle.

3) While I do get razzed a bit for being a Marine, I gets tons of respect from the fellow airmen that I serve with now. My unit (711th SOS) gave me the nickname "Gunny" over three years ago even before I had made E-7 in the Air Force Reserves. It was sort of a "self-fulfilling prophecy" when I got my line number for MSgt (E-7) 18 months ago.

4) I like to deploy a lot and my unit pretty much lets me volunteer to do what I want.

5) I like making fun of all the people who struggle with the AF PT test. After having to make a 3 mile run, 20 pull ups and 80 situps for a perfect score as a Marine, I can skate by now with a run of 1.5 miles, 50 pushups, and 50 sit ups and score near the top of my age group.

*** I would guess that there are a dozen or so Marines in my airwing (919th SOW). I'm not alone.

CplAllen
03-16-10, 03:57 PM
I never understood this. It always seemed like cheating on your wife or something.

redman1
03-16-10, 04:16 PM
That's a good one!!!
I don't think I could ever have done that either but now I DO understand why some change over.
Thanks for all the replies.
Semper Fi Redman

Accord
03-16-10, 08:27 PM
As a grunt, I could never see myself doing more than 4 years. No friggen way. No matter how **** hot you are or how much rank you pick up, you'll be operating at the company level for practically your entire career. Forget that.

LandsNGrooves
04-11-10, 09:13 PM
Ive got 2.5 years left, but right now the CG is looking like an option.

thewookie
04-11-10, 10:53 PM
Ive got 2.5 years left, but right now the CG is looking like an option.

I'm confused and terrible at math, you finished bootcamp last March, a year ago -- you are still crapping 3rd phase chow. You have the perfect attitude for a 4 year contract and done.... good luck

ARTYPIG
04-12-10, 12:17 AM
I guess the way I look at it is that Marines that go to other branches make that service better, thus giving us the best armed forces in the world!

Izzame2
04-12-10, 03:39 AM
The Marines that I heard of were true patriots or maybe crazy after serving a few tours in Vietnam, they were turned down for an additional tour by the Corps, so they got out and joined the Army so they could go back to Vietnam.

redman1
04-12-10, 05:57 AM
I really appreciate all the response to this thread, it has help me understand something I could have never done but I got out after 4 years active.
I always wish I had stayed in because it the best thing I ever done in my life.
If we could redo all the mistakes we made it would be a great world.
Semper Fi Redman

Garyius
04-12-10, 08:31 AM
I knew several that got out of the Corp and joind the National guard and they had one heck of a time they said that no one in the guard gave them much respect and they would get out but there were no reserve Corp untis around the area. They were going for the retirement. Don't know about getting out and going active in other services that just don't make good smarts to me.

Semper Fi:flag:

That was not my experience at all. I was a 7242 in the Corps, very little grunt type training, but I still knew more than the guard MPs. They respected my knowledge and ability.

It is very hard to get promoted in the guard, but that is because the slots are handed out for race first, then time in the guard.

Quinbo
04-12-10, 08:35 AM
I got put out on service limitations or I might still be in the Marines today.

LandsNGrooves
04-12-10, 08:41 AM
I'm confused and terrible at math, you finished bootcamp last March, a year ago -- you are still crapping 3rd phase chow. You have the perfect attitude for a 4 year contract and done.... good luck

Im also bad at math, but notice I said right now. Will I feel the same 6 months out? Will I feel the same after this 14 mo tour? Will I feel the same possibly having a wife? I never said I ruled the MC out already. Just to hear some insight, why did you choose to reup Sgt?Whats your MOS, whats your daily grind like?

coffeejoejava
04-12-10, 09:26 AM
I got out in 1993 after "they" (HQMC) decided that the 0351 MOS was overmanned. Offered me tank armorer!! Slap in the face to a guy that never even saw a Dragon Missle outside of ITS. I was a...

thewookie
04-12-10, 06:17 PM
Just to hear some insight, why did you choose to reup Sgt?Whats your MOS, whats your daily grind like?

I reenlisted for four more years to do a one year tour in Greece, on security forces. And to get out my primary MOS; which I didn't choose. Plus it was a much better alternative than going back on the block after my initial 3 year contract. Then I extended for 1 more year because I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do -- and really I wanted to pick up Sgt., again, after getting busted back down to Corporal for a fight with a SNCO. Notice, there is no star on my good cookie.

My MOS - originally it was 3531, which was given to me on the open contract that I signed to get in -- I also have/had 8531, 8152, 8154, 9962, and 0411 -- PMI, SF Guard, CQB instructor, parachutist, and mimms clerk, respectively. All on my DD214.

My daily grind right now, as a civilian, is nothing like it was in the Corps. I work in Iris Biometric Intelligence and Identification, and the worst part is I travel a lot. www.bi2technologies.com (http://www.bi2technologies.com) I'm in DC all this week, I met with DHS reps today to talk about our handheld iris identification device built for the iPhone. We are trying to keep illegals out of the country. Tomorrow it's meetings with folks from Apple, and then down to Quantico to see my boy, 1st Sgt. Vaughn Williams who just so happens to be in town for a conference.

So my advice to you is to wait until you get some rank, then maybe you'll see the light -- it does get better with rank.

redman1
04-12-10, 06:26 PM
Thewookie, OOH RAH!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi Redman

Quinbo
04-12-10, 06:56 PM
Holy crap you know Williams? Did you know he has a twin brother?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-12-10, 07:15 PM
1: Got out the first time (89) because for some stupid reason, I wanted to be a cop. Worst decision...EVER. Should have stayed, I'd be retired now with an AD retirement).

2: When I reenlisted into the Army Reserve (as an Infantryman, 11B), there were no USMC units close enough to commute to. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the Corps. I did get LOTS of respect for being a 'Former' Marine.

3: I came back in on active duty in 97, because I missed the Corps so much.

4: Got out in 01, not by choice. My daughter had a medical condition that pretty much eliminated any further overseas deployments, and I was 2 years from HYT. Thus, my choices were pretty much 'done'.

5: Took 6 years, but my daughter's issues no longer were an issue. I looked into the Corps again...but quite frankly, at my age, the PFT, and new PRT, was more than my old broken azz could take.

6: The Air National Guard was more than happy, even with my HRT, to take me (I wanted to fly, but alas, could *barely* pass the hearing test as it was). There are many Marines in my immediate unit, and at least a 20 percent number in the Wing.

7: My ANG retirement is IN, and I officially leave 1 August. 20 years, and LOTS of retirement 'points' will make a nice check when I can draw it.

thewookie
04-12-10, 07:46 PM
Holy crap you know Williams? Did you know he has a twin brother?

Yeah, he and I taught CQB together before I got out, his 1st son is my Godson. I think his brother is in the Army? Maybe? He's on fine Marine and a future Sgt. Major. Right now he's with the 1st Sergeant with 2/1 Golf Co.

Do you know him or his brother?

Quinbo
04-12-10, 07:50 PM
Yeah, he and I taught CQB together before I got out, his 1st son is my Godson. I think his brother is in the Army? Maybe? He's on fine Marine and a future Sgt. Major. Right now he's with the 1st Sergeant with 2/1 Golf Co.

Do you know him or his brother?

Stocky build ... about my height. Blonde hair blue eyes. He and I were in 1/5 together and then crossed paths again when he went to a school in Quantico. I don't remember which one but I want to say HRP. I thought his brother was in the Marines as well but it has been a while. I think he was also on super squad. If so let him know I just talked to Vellido. He's a bursting bomb gunner at pendleton now.

thewookie
04-12-10, 07:51 PM
I got put out on service limitations or I might still be in the Marines today.

That crap back then was bullpoopy -- sending you home was a bad move on the Corps part. Maybe some guys deserved the boot, the ones on the ROAD program. But you are the type of Marine that the Corps needs,,, but because they didn't promote 03's back then you got screwed. Semper Fi, Sgt. Quinn -- thanks for your service.

thewookie
04-12-10, 07:55 PM
Stocky build ... about my height. Blonde hair blue eyes. He and I were in 1/5 together and then crossed paths again when he went to a school in Quantico. I don't remember which one but I want to say HRP. I thought his brother was in the Marines as well but it has been a while.

Yeah, that is him. I have a YouTube video posted to my blog that you can see him in the first few minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nf2rAShK5s

He was with 1/5, then he went to FAST, then to the Training Company with me. He and I went to HRP togther -- but, the Instructors (some of your boys) from HRP came to the Training Company to certify us. I will tell him hello, maybe I can get him on here......

Quinbo
04-12-10, 08:13 PM
LOL ... the memories .... I forgot that he pretty much had no hair. Haircuts for him were cheap.

These boards sometimes put you in a time machine at least for a few minutes. In a good way.

Quinbo
04-12-10, 10:41 PM
I'm gonna take a WAG at who got sent down there. Capt. Peters, SSgt Terry, SSgt Ronk, Sgt Hunter. I and Dave hunter have been friends for years.

I worked in S-3 and used to joke that hunter was the only one allowed in here. You have to be an 03 to come in S-3. It was all fun and games we even had a slap board with request permission to enter.

Them fellas knew their chit.

If you come across anyone else that we have in commen please let me know.

echo3oscar1833
04-12-10, 11:13 PM
To be honest from about 03-07 I kicked around on the idea of trying to go back in. I missed the Corps after my medical seperation (honorable) in 03. After trying, and trying, and getting told the same thing by docs, officers, and recruiters that I was a broke dick SOB. I finally gave up, I tried the National Guard, the Regular Army, AF Reserves, Regular AF, Coast Guard, and of course the Marine Corps. The one I didn't try was the Navy, never did, and in high and sight during that period I should have. I finally just decided it wasn't worth it anymore, I came to the realiziation that I was a broke dick Marine. Nothing wrong with that to be honest, hell I think the majority of us end up broke dicks. Its just the nature of the business that we work in. I don't regret my life in the civilian life, I was fortunate enought to spend some time on a Sheriffs Dept, and then a Private Invesigation/Security Company working Executive Protection, and Investigation. From there I finished my college, and now work at a School as an Para Edcator. To answer the question I do understand why someone would want to continue to serve, even if it was in another branch. Its all about doing something greater than yourself. :iwo:

rheinmark187
04-13-10, 03:09 AM
Semper Fi Redman

To tell you the truth, I ask myself the same question. I was within a hair of reenlisting for the National Guard, but I was just turned off touring the Army bases. I don't know what it is, but the Army and the Air Force don't appeal to me one bit. However, I'm likely going back in as a Navy reservist soon. I would also be happy with the Coast Guard.
Both of them are MOS/Rate oriented and I like how they are almost always based on the water, rather than some place in the middle of the woods lol.

But I do say that after being out for a few years, a lot of Marines come across as immature and ignorant. How often do I look on line and see some Marine berating a poster for failing to capitalize "Marine" but their own post is full of spelling errors?

Also, the constant Oohrah and fake motivation always annoyed me, it's almost as bad as the Army with the Hooah every five seconds. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, I have a lot of family that are/were foreign military and they kind of make fun of the U.S. Marines and Army too for the way they behave. I remember a 2005 Article with the British Royal Marines where they thought U.S. Marines while awesome on the battlefield, come across as corny and lacking independence in garrison. I sometimes got that impression myself. So maybe it's a Irish/Australian/British thing I don't really know.

rheinmark187
04-13-10, 03:16 AM
I reenlisted for four more years to do a one year tour in Greece, on security forces. And to get out my primary MOS; which I didn't choose. Plus it was a much better alternative than going back on the block after my initial 3 year contract. Then I extended for 1 more year because I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do -- and really I wanted to pick up Sgt., again, after getting busted back down to Corporal for a fight with a SNCO. Notice, there is no star on my good cookie.

My MOS - originally it was 3531, which was given to me on the open contract that I signed to get in -- I also have/had 8531, 8152, 8154, 9962, and 0411 -- PMI, SF Guard, CQB instructor, parachutist, and mimms clerk, respectively. All on my DD214.

My daily grind right now, as a civilian, is nothing like it was in the Corps. I work in Iris Biometric Intelligence and Identification, and the worst part is I travel a lot. www.bi2technologies.com (http://www.bi2technologies.com) I'm in DC all this week, I met with DHS reps today to talk about our handheld iris identification device built for the iPhone. We are trying to keep illegals out of the country. Tomorrow it's meetings with folks from Apple, and then down to Quantico to see my boy, 1st Sgt. Vaughn Williams who just so happens to be in town for a conference.

So my advice to you is to wait until you get some rank, then maybe you'll see the light -- it does get better with rank.

Wow that's a cool product. It would work for the Military in Afghanistan too, if they aren't already issued some.

thewookie
04-13-10, 06:49 AM
Wow that's a cool product. It would work for the Military in Afghanistan too, if they aren't already issued some.

We are working on it. The military is something similar, but it's not one of ours, yet. The one they have now is big and heavy, affectionately called the "brick". Officially named the BAT - Biometric Automated Toolset. But ours is multi-modal, it does an iris scan, has a finger print reader, and also does facial recognition with a facial scan. The problem with getting ours to market overseas is cell phone service, since our unit is used on the iPhone. Pretty high-screed. ;)

Sorry to hijack, Redman1!

AAV Crewchief
04-13-10, 07:38 AM
Thanks to all of you for your response to this question.
I have always looked down on all branches except the Marines and I still can't imagine being anything but a Marine.
Seems to me that everyone can't be a Marine but anyone can get in anything else.
Semper Fi Redman

Your arrogance is astounding.

redman1
04-13-10, 07:40 AM
You don't even need a responce, can't you read? Read all the damn post before opening your big mouth. See your not so proud of the Corps.
Well I am and you can kiss my Corps Ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Fi Redman

Rocky C
04-13-10, 07:50 AM

This is the ONLY Negative Responce in this Whole Thread:thumbdown
WTF???

Read the Whole Thread!!!

redman1
04-13-10, 07:56 AM
Yep this AAV don't sound like he was ever in the Corps to me.
Notice he's more proud of what he is now
This started off my day with my blood boiling
I Damn Proud Of the United States Marine Corps and if you don't like it AAV you need to stick it where the sun don't shine.
Semper Fi Redman

mcvet57103
04-13-10, 08:07 AM
Yep this AAV don't sound like he was ever in the Corps to me.
Notice he's more proud of what he is now
This started off my day with my blood boiling
I Damn Proud Of the United States Marine Corps and if you don't like it AAV you need to stick it where the sun don't shine.
Semper Fi RedmanI smell libtard, code pink puzzy. How about you Buddy?

Although my step-son is a three time purple heart, four Combat tour SSgt in the Army, and my wife and I are damn proud of him and his dedication. The other branches overall can't hold a candle to the Corps. SF

echo3oscar1833
04-13-10, 05:55 PM

Are you serious!!!, All I have to say is, well on second thought I'm not even going to take the time!!

Wyoming
04-13-10, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images_ln/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=630984#post630984)

Holy ****ing ****.

Well, marlene*, you just stepped on your dick that time.

You just as well head on down the trail.

*marlene it is, cause you just **** in your messkit and ain't no Marine no more.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-13-10, 07:35 PM
In the immortal words of Yellowing, from a similiar situation long ago:

"Well, this thread has lost it's charm".

Locked and done before it gets even worse.