PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to Warrant Officer to Officer

JBlaze
03-13-10, 12:45 AM
Hello Marines!

I was talking to a good friend of mine who is stationed at Cherry Point, and we were talking about career paths in the Marines. The topic of going the long route of Enlisted to Warrant Officer to Officer came up, and I became very interested.

I did some research and talked to my recruiter about it, and he mentioned something about a BOOST program. I didn't find much about it, and what I did find was very vague. My question is, has anyone here gone through this or know of someone who has? What are the benefits of being a Warrant Officer over Enlisted?

It's something I'm very interested in, yet can't really find the exact information I'm looking for regarding it. Granted, I have yet to go to boot camp, but the reason for that is I'm waiting for an Active Duty slot to open up in the MOS I want (6113) since if I had chosen 03xx, I would've shipped out back in January.

Also, I was recommended to take up Intel for an MOS since I scored so high on my ASVAB, and my recruiter told me to take an 03xx slot since I do so good on my IST every week in the poolee program. But I'm dead set on making a career out of being a mechanic or doing the Warrant Officer program.

Anyways, enough rambling. Is there any info you can share about the Warrant Officer or BOOST programs? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marines!

TinDragon
03-13-10, 07:43 AM
Warrant officers are treated like officers but have the knowledge of an enlisted person, since you only become a warrant officer by being a pro at your job.

I don't think once you become a warrant officer you'd WANT to go regular officer. No idea about any of the programs.

temarti
03-13-10, 08:28 AM
It is the Limited Duty Officer route or (LDO). Even planning on WO before attending bootcamp is quite a stretch since this certainly will not occur until you are well into the second enlistment in most cases.

Old Marine
03-13-10, 09:31 AM
After you have completed a few years in the Corps you can put in for the Lip Stick Lt. program.

JBlaze
03-13-10, 04:53 PM
Thanks Marines! I guess becoming a Warrant Officer is the least of my worries at the moment. I thought it was something that you put in your contract or similar and started training for within a year or so after boot camp.

Thanks for the clarification.

HOWARDROARK3043
03-13-10, 07:50 PM
fyi----- there are quotas for certain mos for wo

so if the Marine Corps has 4 spots for a certain type of wo and only 3 Marines apply then ---you get it--------------but if there are 4 spots and 5 Marines apply you have to compete----------------------I have seen some lame SNCO's get WO gigs because of the quota--im just saying

Old Marine
03-13-10, 07:55 PM
fyi----- there are quotas for certain mos for wo

so if the Marine Corps has 4 spots for a certain type of wo and only 3 Marines apply then ---you get it--------------but if there are 4 spots and 5 Marines apply you have to compete----------------------I have seen some lame SNCO's get WO gigs because of the quota--im just saying

This used to happen all the time. Must still be that way.:evilgrin:

JBlaze
03-13-10, 11:49 PM
I know all about quotas. They're the reason most people get speeding tickets nearer the end of the month. Unfortunately, they're a way of life so I accept it.

Thanks again Marines.