PDA

View Full Version : Just got Orders.

duarte
03-12-10, 08:33 AM
Good Morning Marines. It has been a while since I have been here but I'm done with MOS school and I'm back. I graduate next week, and I got my orders issued today. I'm not very happy with them. I'm going to Parris Island because that's where the Corps needs me. I heard that the unit is great for Admin Clerks, but it is not what I wanted. When I joinned one of the things I wanted to do was deploy and I got put in a non-deployable unit. That thought is not suiting me well. Now, please, I understand that I signed the contract and that it is troop welfare not comfort, and that it is Corps needs over mine. I understand all that ladies and gentleman, I just don't feel like non-deployability is going to make me feel like I'm fulfilling my duties as a Marine, I want to deploy, I feel like that deployment is part of being a Marine. What are my options, I heard about a Marine that whinned enough that got their orders changed here in school, and I don't want to resort to that, but I don't see any way out of this predicament. Is there any tips that you more experience Marines can give this troubled Marine please, I would appreciate it.

tdrt
03-12-10, 08:40 AM
Suck it up and go where they need/send you, Marine. Every job, no matter where is important to our mission, and deployment has no reflection on being a Marine.

You'll get to deploy soon enough but right now, you are needed elsewhere.

BR34
03-12-10, 08:40 AM
You can try your luck at trying to find someone who may want to switch orders with you, but that has a VERY slim chance of working, especially since you're only one week out.

What you will most likely have to do is suck it up and perform your duties at the Depot. There are other things you can do to serve the Corps besides deploying, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of chances at PI.

Lastly, being at a non-deployable unit doesn't mean you won't ever get to deploy. There's always the chance of getting on a IA billet and deploying with a different unit.

Make the best out of it. Good luck.

DocGreek
03-12-10, 08:41 AM
....MOS????...

sully0331
03-12-10, 08:43 AM
well said BR34

Silentwarrior17
03-12-10, 08:47 AM
Bend over grab your ankles and hold on for the ride...welcome to the Corps!

When you get there talk to your Admin Chief. Have him run it up the chain and maybe you will get something in a year or two.

sully0331
03-12-10, 08:52 AM
Bend over...grab your ankles...say ouch...now say i just got f*cked in the as$!!!!!!!!!!

spotts
03-12-10, 08:54 AM
Suck it up and go where you are ordered to go. Bust your ass at the depot and make sure you are **** hot with everything that you do. Then maybe you will get your wish to be deployed.

duarte
03-12-10, 09:01 AM
Thanks Marines. I'm gonna follow advice and suck it up and make the best of it. Thank you for your time.

tdrt
03-12-10, 09:04 AM
Good choice.

When I got out of Admin school, I was the only one without orders so everyone assumed I was going to Hawaii so naturally, I was thrilled. BUT I got orders to Yuma! Who in the hell had ever heard of Yuma let alone where in the hell was it?! Turns outs -- best thing that ever happened! Absolutely loved it.

What I'm getting at is you do need to make the best of it because you never know where it may lead you.

buggoffextco
03-12-10, 09:59 AM
There isn't a job or a duty station that isn't important. We all joined to serve and in my opinion, that service is wherever you are needed. I can think of worse places to go than PI. I understand the zeal that you have to deploy, I was young once and was then a card carrying member of the "Kill a Commie for Mommy" club. In retrospect, I feel fortunate to have served when nobody was shooting at me or any one else for that matter. It's always better to not be at room temperature, if you ask me.

polizei
03-12-10, 10:01 AM
Ah man I would LOVE to work on PI, what a blast! Count yourself lucky....seriously. I have a buddy who's an MP down there and he really likes it. Plus, I think you can change duty stations after a few years...so it's not the end of the world.

Edit* You're a PFC as well...which means you're going to hate your life no matter WHAT you are doing or WHERE you are doing it! LOL

Zulu 36
03-12-10, 01:21 PM
PFC = Perfect For Cleaning

Look at it this way. Spend a couple of years at PI. Learn EVERYTHING you can about your job and work hard at it. Learn as much as you can about your bosses jobs too. When you can transfer into a fleet unit, you'll have some rank and you'll know your sh*t. The fleet unit will be happy to have you.

Phantom Blooper
03-12-10, 03:49 PM
Just think of some of the top names in the Marine Corps are always going to Parris Island for some type of showing...function or graduation.....

You might be in the right place at the right time to go far in the Marine Corps...stay sharp.....

Then again with the above comment....mess up and you may get your wish and get deployed to Iceland!

:evilgrin:

tdrt
03-12-10, 03:51 PM
I had a friend who was station in Iceland -- she loved every minute of it! At least once or twice a month, she was able to catch a hop to Europe, so.... just goes to show

Marine84
03-12-10, 05:49 PM
Yeah...........I would have hated to be stationed at PI (shuddering).

HA! HA! HA! NOT! I would have had THE best time at the Island! But, then again, I had a blast EVERWHERE I went.

egbutler1
03-12-10, 06:23 PM
If you wanted to deploy why didn't you join the infantry or motor t or something that gets regularly deployed.

TazMatt
03-12-10, 06:57 PM
Parris Island is a blast if you put mind to it and do your job There is always something happening on the island.

duragliter
03-13-10, 08:10 AM
So sad.

Now you have to do "what you asked for, United States Marine Corps."

Admin at MCRDPI is pretty wide open. You can be a clerk at the Battalion level all the way up to Depot.

You will learn how to fill-out an AA form. With the current op-tempo, you just may get your wish.

Enjoy your time at a duty station that is steeped in history.

Oh yeah, as a Pfc, some of the refcuits that graduate every friday are gonna be senior to you.

polizei
03-13-10, 08:37 AM
HAHA that would suck!!!! I'd be ****ed for sure...

tdrt
03-13-10, 08:57 AM
Yeah...........I would have hated to be stationed at PI (shuddering).

HA! HA! HA! NOT! I would have had THE best time at the Island! But, then again, I had a blast EVERWHERE I went.

Oh, me too. I may have hated the initial thought, but once I got there, I had a fricken blast!