PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about swim qualifications.

Garrett869
03-09-10, 09:42 PM
I go to recruit training on May 17th with a UZ Recon contract and as you all know that requires a first class swim qualification. I'm asking for any information about what exactly a first class swim qual requires, and also a second class swim qual. I've searched online but every website says a different thing. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 09:48 PM
1st class swim qual
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43574

Combat Water Survival
All Marines must pass basic water survival skills in order to graduate from boot camp (those who don't pass will receive extensive remedial training until they do). Training in Combat Water Survival develops a recruit's confidence in the water. All recruits must pass the minimum requirement level of Combat Water Survival-4, which requires recruits to perform a variety of water survival and swimming techniques. If a recruit meets the CWS-4 requirements, he may upgrade to a higher level. All recruits train in the camouflage utility uniform, but those upgrading may be required to train in full combat gear, which includes a rifle, helmet, flak jacket and pack.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/marinebasic2_2.htm

fs19
03-10-10, 01:08 PM
Just a heads up, you won't have a chance to get a 1st Class until you're in BRC.
In boot camp you may have a chance to get your 2nd Class-I say may because you may get screwed out of it (I had to go to dental instead). Luckily Recon Training Co. realizes this and only requires you to have a 3rd Class coming out of boot.

When you do your swim quals in BRC you must get a 2nd class, and will be able to attempt to get 1st. If you don't get a 2nd Class in BRC you get dropped back to MART.

fs19
03-10-10, 01:18 PM
Also, if you're not extremely confident in your swimming ability, you should be going to the pool every day. Work primarily on your breast stroke, and treading water. You should be able to swim 1000 meters in shorts and a t-shirt in about 30 min. Since you've still got a little bit of time before you ship, try to find a local water polo club and start practicing with them, and learn how to do an "eggbeater" tread. Playing water polo my senior year helped me out more in BRC than any other single thing I did.

Most of all you need to be as comfortable in the water, as your are out of it...if not more so. Whether your slick, in cammies, wearing gear, blind folded, or anything else. Even if you can't swim well, you will learn in MART as long as you're comfortable in the water.

Garrett869
03-10-10, 03:51 PM
Thank you both very much.

crazymjb
03-10-10, 10:07 PM
The swim qual really just takes a bit of resolve. I am by no means a strong swimmer (IE my strokes could use a lot of work) but I am very comfortable in the water and somewhat stubborn. Just qualified 4, 3, 2, 1, and Q in one 9 hour session. I was sick for about 2 weeks because of it, and exhausted for a day or so, but honestly as long as you got guys around you motivated to get through it its no huge deal.

I would heed the advice to work on the proper strokes with someone who knows what they are doing, that will no doubt make your time much easier.

Also, if you are not COMFORTABLE in the water you really need to get used to it. Part of 1 includes some escapes and stuff, it has a lot to do with life guarding, so you will be pulled under and have to stay calm and get out of it. I grew up around a pool so no biggie, but you could see those guys who were not comfortable getting dragged under water and how it freaked them out. They didn't think and had to try the escapes like 5 times until they got it right.

Mike

Hanzo
03-11-10, 10:16 AM
The swim qual really just takes a bit of resolve. I am by no means a strong swimmer (IE my strokes could use a lot of work) but I am very comfortable in the water and somewhat stubborn. Just qualified 4, 3, 2, 1, and Q in one 9 hour session. I was sick for about 2 weeks because of it, and exhausted for a day or so, but honestly as long as you got guys around you motivated to get through it its no huge deal.

I would heed the advice to work on the proper strokes with someone who knows what they are doing, that will no doubt make your time much easier.

Also, if you are not COMFORTABLE in the water you really need to get used to it. Part of 1 includes some escapes and stuff, it has a lot to do with life guarding, so you will be pulled under and have to stay calm and get out of it. I grew up around a pool so no biggie, but you could see those guys who were not comfortable getting dragged under water and how it freaked them out. They didn't think and had to try the escapes like 5 times until they got it right.

Mike

Very true, especcially about the different strokes. I'm an ok swimmer (nothing great) and very comfortable in the water but was stopped in my tracks during one part where I had to swim on my back. Its not something I had ever done before and I couldn't seem to keep my head above water doing it. The stages after that, I'm confident I could've done no problem (at least for that stage) but I got tripped up and couldn't get through.