PDA

View Full Version : Marine Officer Routes

NSUcolonel
03-09-10, 08:44 PM
I recently filled out a questionaire sent to me by an OSO only to have him tell me that I do not meet the requirements. After talking with him over the phone he explained that the OCC is very competitive and being that I would have to get waivers, it wouldnt be very likely for my packet to be approved for OCC I assume.

My next question was that if I serve in the enlisted ranks would I have an opportunity later on to apply for OCS.

He then explained that I could go the enlisted reserve route and try for a PLC spot after having established myself as a prior service Marine.

I am very interested in any insight that anyone may have into my situation.

I have 30 hours after this semester to complete my degree.

NSUcolonel
03-09-10, 08:51 PM
I also scored a 93 on the ASVAB with a GT of 126.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 09:04 PM
What do you need waivers for?

NSUcolonel
03-09-10, 09:08 PM
Here's a copy of the questionaire I sent to the OSO. I have a good idea it's the DWI and a few other things.

Biographical Data
1. Last Name, First Name, and Middle Name: Sc,,,,, Matthew David
2. College/University that you attend or graduated from: Nicholls State University
3. Major: Government with a minor in Mass Communication
4. Graduation/Anticipated Graduation Date (Month/Year)? December 2010
5. Are you a full time student (12 hours or more/semester)? Yes
6. What was your last semester GPA and when was your last full time semester completed? Fall 2009, 3.2 GPA
7. What is (was) your overall GPA? 2.4
8. SAT Score (LSAT for Law) (combined math and verbal only, no essay): Never taken the LSAT or SAT
9. Overall ACT Score and ASVAB score: ACT 21, ASVAB 93
10. Are you a US Citizen? Yes
11. Current Address: Thibodaux, LA 70301
12. Home Address: Gretna, LA 70053
13. Home Tel Number: N/A
14. Cell Number:
15. Email:
16. Best Time to Contact: After 3pm
17. Are you currently employed? What do you do? Hours/week? Not currently employed
18. Date of birth (yyyy/mm/dd): 1986
19. Place of Birth: Kenner, LA
20. Height: 6’0
21. Weight: 225
Medical History (for the below questions, if you list a yes response please elaborate)
22. Do you have 20/20 vision? Yes
23. Do you wear contacts and/or glasses? No
24. What is your current prescription? None
25. Do you have any vision related problems or have you had eye surgery? No
26. Are you color blind? No
27. Do you have any allergies to foods or medicines or wool? None that I am aware of.
28. Have you ever had Asthma or used an inhaler? No
29. Have you ever used or are you currently using any medications? Yes only antibiotics, anti inflammatory and pain medication. Not currently taking any medication.
30. Do you have any diseases? No
31. Have you ever had surgery at any point in your life? Yes, I had my tonsils taken out and had two knee surgeries on the same knee.
32. Have you ever dislocated or separated a shoulder? No
33. Have you ever broken a bone that required plates, pins, or screws? No
34. Have you ever "blown out" or tore a ligament or tendon? Yes, left knee ACL
35. Have you ever seen a........
36. Have you ever been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, or any learning disorder? No
Personal History (for the below questions, if you list a yes response, please elaborate)
37. Do you have any tattoos, piercing, brands, or implanted materials? No
38. Have you ever received a traffic ticket? (Regardless if it was dismissed or "thrown out") Yes a few speeding tickets and non moving violations.
39. Have you ever been arrested? DUI/DWI? Yes...
40. Have you ever been cited for any other non-traffic violation? dismissed because of circumstances.
41. Have you ever used any illegal or non-prescribed drugs? How many times? Yes, a few times early on in college.
42. Are you/have you ever been married and/or do you have children? No
43. Are you a prior service member in any branch of service? MOS? Re-enlistment code? Unit? Rank? No
44. Have you ever applied for the Armed Forces before? I considered joining the Army but never actually went through the application process.
45. Have you ever tested or been to a MEPS facility before? Yes I took the ASVAB in New Orleans when I was in high school and I also took the ASVAB in November 2008.
46. Do you exercise now? What do you do? How Often? Yes I lift weights and run at least twice a week.
47. What is the longest distance you have run without stopping in the past 2 weeks? One mile.
48. What physical activities are you currently involved in? Running and lifting weights. I played football at Nicholls State for three and a half years finishing my career in 2008.
49. Have you had any physical activity related injuries within the past 2 years? No
50. Why are you interested in becoming a Marine Officer? I have wanted to be a Marine for as long as I can remember. I believe that I was born to be a Marine whether I be enlisted or an officer. I also believe I was born with natural leadership traits. I have high expectations of myself and have become much more mature and responsible than I was just a few years ago. I am now much more driven and determined than I once was and I believe the Marine Corps can only enhance the traits that I possess and instill other traits in me as required to be a leader of Marines.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 09:15 PM
Looks like you would require a lot of waivers, and being that the Marine Corps is very selective these days and beyond their quota, I highly doubt that they would approve all those waivers, but talk with a recruiter and get an answer from him/her.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment, Appointment, or Induction
Main Menu
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

Criminal History Waivers
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm

Quinbo
03-09-10, 10:48 PM
Shoot .... If my questionaire was that clean I would be a general by now ;)

Thank-you for you candid honosty ... it will take you far.

NSUcolonel
03-10-10, 01:51 PM
I sense carcasm in your tone Bulkyker...

Quinbo
03-10-10, 01:54 PM
I was implying that my questionaire was pretty bad and I still got in. There is hope for you yet.

BR34
03-10-10, 02:02 PM
You should have a mod remove your personal information off of that.

NSUcolonel
03-10-10, 02:21 PM
I am trying.

firedog974
03-10-10, 02:51 PM
I recently filled out a questionaire sent to me by an OSO only to have him tell me that I do not meet the requirements. After talking with him over the phone he explained that the OCC is very competitive and being that I would have to get waivers, it wouldnt be very likely for my packet to be approved for OCC I assume.

My next question was that if I serve in the enlisted ranks would I have an opportunity later on to apply for OCS.

He then explained that I could go the enlisted reserve route and try for a PLC spot after having established myself as a prior service Marine.

I am very interested in any insight that anyone may have into my situation.

I have 30 hours after this semester to complete my degree.

Here are the programs. Take a look at them, and see which one fits.

Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# MECEP)
Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# ECP)
Meritorious Commissioning Program (MCP) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# MCP)
Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program (RECP) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# RECP)
Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training (BOOST) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# BOOST)
Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# NROTC)
Warrant Officer (Regular, Reserve, Gunner, and Recruiter) (WO) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# WO)
United States Naval Academy (USNA) (http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/Content/0,14556,MPDC_Options_Commissioning_Marine,00.html# USNA)
http://www.*************/MilitaryCareers/pics/Marine_O.jpgMarine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP)
The Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers. MECEP is open to all active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the eligibility requirements. Marines successfully completing the program receive a Baccalaureate Degree and a commission as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. Selection is based on an individual's potential for commissioned service as demonstrated by their service record, previous academic record, and evidence of career and academic self-improvement.

The basic eligibility requirements for the program are as follows:

Corporal or Above
At least 20 years of age but less than 26
Ranked in the Top 50% of high school class or
GED score of 75
SAT score of 1000 or ACT of 45 or
AFQT of 74.

Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP)
The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A. http://www.*************/pics/CareersMarines_Commissioning.jpgThe MECEP is designed to provide outstanding enlisted Marines the opportunity to become Marine Corps Officers.

Marines with a 4 Year Baccalaureate Degree
U.S. Citizen
Be of Officer Caliber
Be of Good Moral Character & Integrity
Not previously failed any Officer Programs
Min. AFQT of 74 or
Min. SAT of 1000 or
Min. ACT of 45
At least 21 years of age but less than 30

Meritorious Commissioning Program (MCP)
The Meritorious Commissioning Program allows commanding officers to nominate qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program, who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent commissioning in the Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process is contained in MCO 1040.43A.

Marines with at least 75 semester hours of actual coursework.
A letter of acceptance from an NROTC affiliated College or University
U.S. Citizen
Be of Officer Caliber
Min. AFQT of 74 or Min. SAT of 1000 or
Min. ACT of 45
At least 21 years of age but less than 30

Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program (RECP)
The Reserve Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040R.10k.

SMCR with a 4 Year Baccalaureate Degree
U.S. Citizen
Be of Officer Caliber
Min. AFQT of 74 or Min. SAT of 1000 or
Min. ACT of 45
At least 21 years of age but less than 33
Qualified to fill a SMCR Officer billet as announced by CMC (Reserve Affairs)

(https://web.mcrc.usmc.mil/section/o/mcrc(on)%20main.htm)Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training (BOOST)
The Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training (BOOST) program provides an educational enhancement opportunity for those eligible enlisted Marines that desire to seek a college education and enter a commissioning program. These programs include The U.S. Naval Academy, Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP), and the Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps Scholarship program (NROTC). BOOST is a demanding 10-month academic improvement course providing remedial high school and college preparatory level instruction. BOOST is open to all enlisted active duty Marines and Marines in the Active Reserve (AR) program who meet the basic eligibility and academic requirements.

Basic eligibility requirements for BOOST are as follows:
Active Duty or Active Reserve
Lance Corporal or above
1 year of active duty completed after recruit training
19 years of age, but not more than 25
High School Diploma or GED
SAT score of 900 or ACT score of 40 or EL score of 110

Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps (NROTC) (http://www.*************/ROTC/1,15281,nrotc_usmc_option.htm)
The purpose of the Marine Option Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps program is to educate and train highly qualified young men and women for careers as commissioned officers in the United States Marine Corps.

The Marine Option NROTC units are located at selected colleges and universities throughout the United States. Upon graduation and successful completion of required courses and training, a Midshipman is appointed a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps Reserve. While attending a university as a scholarship student, active duty Marines who are selected as Marine Option NROTC scholarship recipients are released to the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) and do not receive pay and allowances.

The Marine Corps conducts two selection boards per year. The Early Board in November, and the National Board in February. Selected applicants for the Marine Option NROTC Scholarship Program are awarded scholarships through a highly competitive national selection process, and receive full tuition, books, fees and other financial benefits at many of the country's leading colleges and universities.

The general eligibility requirements for the program are as follows:

Be a U.S. Citizen
Be 17 years of age by September 1 of the year starting college and
less than 23 on June 30 of that year.
Applicants must not have reached their 27th birthday by June 30 of the year in which college graduation and commissioning are anticipated. (Applicants who have prior active duty military service may be eligible for age adjustments for the amount of time equal to their prior service, on a month-for-month basis, for a maximum of 36 months, provided they do not reach their 30th birthday by June 30 of the year in which graduation and commissioning are anticipated.)
Be a high school graduate or possess equivalency certificates by
August 1 of the same year entrance into the four-year NROTC Scholarship
Program is anticipated.
Be physically qualified by Navy or Marine Corps standards.
Have no moral obligations or personal convictions that will prevent conscientious bearing of arms and supporting and supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic.
Have no record of military or civilian offenses.
Apply for and gain admission to NROTC colleges. (Admission to an NROTC institution is not required during the selection process. However, notification of admission must be received before the scholarship can be activated.)
Achieve qualifying scores on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) of 1000 composite, or the American College Test (ACT) of 45 composite.
Both the SAT/ACT math and English scores must be from the same test.
Applicants cannot combine their best math score and their best English score to achieve the qualifying score for application
Warrant Officer (Regular, Reserve, Gunner, and Recruiter) (WO)
The Enlisted to Warrant Officer Program is a program whereby qualified enlisted Marines, who are the technical experts in their field, may apply for appointment to warrant officer in the military occupational specialty (MOS) they are considered to be technically and proficiently qualified to serve.

There are five categories of warrant officers: Regular Active Duty, Active Reserve, Selected Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Gunner, and Career Recruiter. The policy and eligibility criteria are contained in SecNavInst 1120.11 and the application format is located in MCO 1040.42A. Annual Marine Corps Administrative (MARADMIN) messages are released announcing the application deadlines, MOS vacancies, and any guidance that is new or needs clarification since the last rewrite of the directives.

United States Naval Academy (USNA)
Enlisted active duty Marines and Marines serving in the active reserve (AR) program that meet the eligibility requirements may apply for nomination and appointment to The United States Naval Academy (USNA). The Naval Academy Preparatory School (NAPS) obtains its' students from USNA applicants that, in the opinion of the USNA Admissions Board, could profit from an additional year of academic preparation. Marines who wish to be considered for admission to NAPS must state their willingness on their USNA application.

Basic eligibility requirements for admission to the Naval Academy are:
United States Citizen
Have good moral character
Be unmarried
At least 17 years of age but less than 23
Have no dependents
Not pregnant

Lisa 23
03-10-10, 03:28 PM

And what if there was 'sarcasm' in his tone? :evilgrin:
Watch how you're talking to a Marine there young man.

Quinbo
03-10-10, 03:40 PM
And what if there was 'sarcasm' in his tone? :evilgrin:
Watch how you're talking to a Marine there young man.

I did get the impression that I was being scolded by my grandma or something but let it slide. After all he was born about the same time I was returning from my 1st deployment.

Lisa 23
03-10-10, 03:44 PM
I did get the impression that I was being scolded by my grandma or something but let it slide. After all he was born about the same time I was returning from my 1st deployment.

Not a problem. :thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-10, 07:49 PM
Personal info...edited.

NSUcolonel
03-10-10, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

WMarine, I wasnt sure if he was being serious or not that is why I questioned the sarcastic tone. I tend to be very critical of myself and I am very serious about being a Marine. No offense was intended.

Lisa 23
03-10-10, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.

WMarine, I wasnt sure if he was being serious or not that is why I questioned the sarcastic tone. I tend to be very critical of myself and I am very serious about being a Marine. No offense was intended.
:thumbup:

SGT7477
03-10-10, 10:00 PM
Is carcasm the same as sarcasm?:D