PDA

View Full Version : Medically Disqualified, Now What?

ta325
03-09-10, 02:58 PM
Hello Marines! First of all, thank you all for your service. I mean it.

Here's my dilemma. During a short phone interview, I informed the Recruiter of a condition I have (hypogonadism, meaning I dont produce enough testosterone). I require weekly testosterone injections. If I dont get the injection on the day I'm supposed to, no big deal, it can be done whenever time permits, and can be delayed 1-2 weeks. So I was instructed to furnish the appropriate medical documents detailing my condition so that a waiver request could be initiated.

That was about a month ago, so I called today, and was informed that this particular condition, while not on the formal list of medical disqualifications, can not be waived.

So, is there any way around this?

NCOPOWER
03-09-10, 03:08 PM
If it cannot be waived then it cannot be waived. Keep your chin up and good luck to you.

Who knows someone might say otherwise but I don't think that will happen.

WMarine what can you find on this?

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 03:22 PM
Right now, I can't seem to find anything on this.

polizei
03-09-10, 04:05 PM
If it's not waiverable, you can't join. Pretty simple...

Not trying to be mean, but what would happen if you are deployed? Do you think the Marine Corps is going to mail you shots, and pay for it too?

ta325
03-09-10, 04:28 PM
No worries about being mean polizei, if I wasn't thick skinned, I wouldn't be considering the Marine Corps!

Im not sure however, what you mean to ask so I will clarify a bit more.

I do self-injections on a weekly basis. There are other mediums available (oral preparations, subdermal implants, patches, and transdermal creams), I just prefer injections for accuracy and convenience. If deployed, I would likely switch to the transdermal cream because it's cheap, and no risk of infection from injections. What Im doing is really no different than a woman using birth control. She takes hormones orally, (or a patch) I take hormones intramuscularly. In both cases, the sex hormones are being replaced with a synthetic version. However, women are permitted to use birth control (from what I am told), but it's not the same for men

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 04:59 PM
In my opinion, what you're taking and why, and a woman taking birth control to prevent pregnancy or because they have irregular monthlys, are two different things. Also, a woman would take some form of an estrogen pill for the harmones.

polizei
03-09-10, 05:06 PM
Yea that makes more sense...but I guess that the Marine Corps said no for a reason. I'm no doctor, so I can't elaborate anymore, sorry.

I know you wanted to join the Corps, but have you tried any other branch?

ta325
03-09-10, 05:19 PM
Yes, I am (well, was) considering the Navy, as a Corpsman. I was told by the recruiter however, that if one branch denies a waiver request, that will carry to other branches as well. Im not 100% closed off to the army, but I'd really rather not. It's the brotherhood and discipline that is appealing to me about the Marine Corps, and from what I've read on this site and heard from friends, the army lacks both.

Im not too sure what Id do in the Airforce....

Rocky C
03-09-10, 05:24 PM
What are your syptoms if you do not take your required medication?
That way I can tell you if it's a DQ.

ta325
03-09-10, 05:33 PM
What are your syptoms if you do not take your required medication?
That way I can tell you if it's a DQ.

Symptoms include lethargy, cloudy mind, and just generally feeling like crap.
Since I have been on testosterone, my endurance, energy, motivation, and most importantly cognitive abilities drastically improved. I can go twice as hard and score higher on exams with less food and less sleep.

So, there are no immediate health concerns if I dont get my injections, but they really make life a LOT easier.

Rocky C
03-09-10, 05:39 PM
Symptoms include lethargy, cloudy mind, and just generally feeling like crap.
Since I have been on testosterone, my endurance, energy, motivation, and most importantly cognitive abilities drastically improved. I can go twice as hard and score higher on exams with less food and less sleep.

So, there are no immediate health concerns if I dont get my injections, but they really make life a LOT easier.

Sorry to tell you that it is a DQ if you are symtomatic but I am No Doctor. Doesn't look like a Waiver to me.
I'll look deeper for you though.

Good Health and Good Luck to you.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 05:43 PM
If you are found to be permanently disqualified, the MEPS doctor will indicate on your medical form whether or not he/she recommends a waiver in your case. This is the very first step in the medical waiver process. When making the recommendation, the doctor will consider the following:

1. Is the condition progressive?

2. Is the condition subject to aggravation by military service?

3. Will the condition preclude satisfactory completion of prescribed training and subsequent military duty?

4. Will the condition constitute an undue hazard to the examine or to others, particularly under combat conditions?

Once the doctor makes his/her recommendation, MEPS is completely out of the medical waiver process. The rest is up to the service you are trying to join.

The medical records and the doctor's recommendation goes to the recruiting commander (or his/her designated representative) for the service you're applying to join. The commander/representative decides whether or not to request a medical waiver. In making this decision, the commander/representative considers the doctor's recommendation, along with two additional factors:

1. Is the recruit *EXCEPTIONALLY* qualified, otherwise? (ASVAB scores, college credits, physical fitness, etc.)

2. How are current recruiting goals? How bad does that particular branch of the service need your particular warm body at this particular point in time?

ta325
03-09-10, 05:52 PM
I think I know what you're getting at, WMarine.
The condition is not progressive.
I was'nt given the opportunity to undergo a physical fitness test, or take the ASVAB. I've got about 55 college credits with a cumulative average GPA of 3.5 and am in very good condition, fitness wise.

Rocky C
03-09-10, 05:55 PM
Since it is a condition resulting from the Testicles you may want to look at these Disqualifications.

Male genitalia.

Current absence of one or both testicles, either congenital (752.89) or undescended (752.51) is disqualifying.

Current epispadias (752.62) or hypospadias (752.61), when accompanied by evidence of urinary tract infection, urethral stricture, or voiding dysfunction, is disqualifying.

Current enlargement or mass of testicle or epididymis (608.9) is disqualifying.

Current orchitis (604) or epididymitis (604.90) is disqualifying.

History of penis amputation (878.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including, but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.13) and condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current acute prostatitis (601.0) or chronic prostatitis (601.1) is disqualifying.

Current hydrocele (603.0), if large or symptomatic, is disqualifying.

Left varicocele (456.4), if symptomatic, or associated with testicular atrophy, or vericocele larger than the testis is disqualifying.

Any right varicocele (456.4) is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic scrotal pain or unspecified symptoms associated with male genital organs (608.9) are disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia, such as a change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.

SGT7477
03-09-10, 06:20 PM
Since it is a condition resulting from the Testicles you may want to look at these Disqualifications.

Male genitalia.

Current absence of one or both testicles, either congenital (752.89) or undescended (752.51) is disqualifying.

Current epispadias (752.62) or hypospadias (752.61), when accompanied by evidence of urinary tract infection, urethral stricture, or voiding dysfunction, is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including, but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.13) and condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current acute prostatitis (601.0) or chronic prostatitis (601.1) is disqualifying.

Left varicocele (456.4), if symptomatic, or associated with testicular atrophy, or vericocele larger than the testis is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic scrotal pain or unspecified symptoms associated with male genital organs (608.9) are disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia, such as a change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.
Looks like we need to have Balls, Sorry WM.:D

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 06:22 PM
No problem...:thumbup:

Rocky C
03-09-10, 06:25 PM

:D

Female genitalia.

Current or history of abnormal uterine bleeding (626.2), including, but not limited to menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, or polymenorrhea, is disqualifying.

Current unexplained amenorrhea (626.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of dysmenorrhea (625.3) that is incapacitating to a degree recurrently necessitating absences of more than a few hours from routine activities is disqualifying.

Current or history of endometriosis (617) is disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia such as change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.

Current or history of ovarian cysts (620.2), when persistent or symptomatic is disqualifying.

Current pelvic inflammatory disease (614), or history of recurrent pelvic inflammatory disease, is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic pelvic pain or unspecified symptoms associated with female genital organs (625.9) is disqualifying.

Current pregnancy (V22) is disqualifying until 6 months after the end of the pregnancy.

Uterus, congenital absence of (752.3), or enlargement due to any cause (621.2) is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.11) or condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current abnormal gynecologic cytology, including, but not limited to unspecified abnormalities of the Papanicolaou smear of the cervix (Pap smear) (795) excluding Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) (079.4) or confirmed Low-Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion (LGSIL) (622.9), is disqualifying. For the purposes of this standard, confirmation is by colposcopy or repeat cytology.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 06:31 PM
Thanks Rocky!

Rocky C
03-09-10, 06:33 PM
Thanks Rocky!

Your Welcome Lisa :thumbup::D:banana:

ta325
03-09-10, 08:16 PM

Male genitalia.

None of those conditions apply to me.....

Now that I have a wavier request, does it stay catalogued? Meaning, if I were to just come off the injections and just deal with, then maybe 6 months from now, see a different recruiter and omit this information, would that work? There is no clear cut definition of what is considered hypogonadism.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 08:21 PM
That waiver request I believe stays on record. And even if you were to come off your injections and you go and see another recruiter and didn't reveal any of this, it would be considered fraudulent enlistment.

ta325
03-09-10, 08:33 PM
OK.....How about if I were to disclose this information in this fashion "I have been diagnosed with hypogonadism, but have since stopped medication and have no symptoms" It's the injections of drugs that I believe caused the permanent DQ, rather than the actual condition.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 09:09 PM
Look, I suggest that if you have any more questions on this, ask your recruiter. We're not doctors from MEPS, nor are we the ones who decide on whether waivers get approved or not. The Marines here can only give advice, and honestly, I don't know what else to say to you other than what's been said.
Good luck to you.

ta325
03-09-10, 09:29 PM
Alright. Thank you all for your time. I just wish I had asked some of these questions here BEFORE going to the Recruiter. Thanks again, Marines.

SGT7477
03-09-10, 09:53 PM
:D

Female genitalia.

Current or history of abnormal uterine bleeding (626.2), including, but not limited to menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, or polymenorrhea, is disqualifying.

Current unexplained amenorrhea (626.0) is disqualifying.

Current or history of dysmenorrhea (625.3) that is incapacitating to a degree recurrently necessitating absences of more than a few hours from routine activities is disqualifying.

Current or history of endometriosis (617) is disqualifying.

History of major abnormalities or defects of the genitalia such as change of sex (P64.5), hermaphroditism, pseudohermaphroditism, or pure gonadal dysgenesis (752.7) or dysfunctional residuals from surgical correction of these conditions is disqualifying.

Current or history of ovarian cysts (620.2), when persistent or symptomatic is disqualifying.

Current pelvic inflammatory disease (614), or history of recurrent pelvic inflammatory disease, is disqualifying.

Current or history of chronic pelvic pain or unspecified symptoms associated with female genital organs (625.9) is disqualifying.

Current pregnancy (V22) is disqualifying until 6 months after the end of the pregnancy.

Uterus, congenital absence of (752.3), or enlargement due to any cause (621.2) is disqualifying.

Current or history of genital infection or ulceration, including but not limited to herpes genitalis (054.11) or condyloma acuminatum (078.11), if of sufficient severity to require frequent intervention or to interfere with normal function, is disqualifying.

Current abnormal gynecologic cytology, including, but not limited to unspecified abnormalities of the Papanicolaou smear of the cervix (Pap smear) (795) excluding Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) (079.4) or confirmed Low-Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion (LGSIL) (622.9), is disqualifying. For the purposes of this standard, confirmation is by colposcopy or repeat cytology.
OOHRAH Rocky, Semper Fidelis Brother.:flag:

SGT7477
03-09-10, 09:56 PM
No problem...:thumbup:
I knew you would understand Lisa.:D