PDA

View Full Version : SOI Liberty

paulw5555
03-08-10, 11:52 PM
I have a question for all you Marines who have been through SOI (ITB). My buddy is getting married and as it looks right now it will be when I am getting towards the end of SOI. What I am wondering is if there is any possibilty to leave Cali for the weekend and fly out of state? I realize I would for sure have to be back by sunday night of that weekend but is there any possibilty of this happening or how is liberty in ITB? thanks

brian0351
03-09-10, 01:28 AM
Are you at Geiger or out West? <br />
<br />
If you are at Geiger...No. That is out of bounds and if you are caught or don't make it back on time you will be charged. <br />
<br />
I've missed many weddings due to the...

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 08:07 AM
Just curious as you are registered as a Marine Friend. Are you even in the Marine Corps yet?

BR34
03-09-10, 08:33 AM
Jeeeeeezzz, he hasn't even went to boot camp yet and is already trying to get a weekend out of bounds chit. This is definitely original, if nothing else.

crazymjb
03-09-10, 03:02 PM
Eh don't speak so fast... If it is on a weekend you might be able to assuming you aren't a POS. I know we had a kid leave to attend his brothers commissioning at Quantico. It also depends how far in you are. I would definitely bring it by your instructors if it means a lot to you. No guarantees, but certainly no harm in asking.

Mike

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 03:08 PM
It also depends how far in you are. I would definitely bring it by your instructors if it means a lot to you. No guarantees, but certainly no harm in asking.

I'd hold off on giving him advice on seeing his instructors being that the young man isn't even a Marine yet, let alone a poolee.

paulw5555
03-09-10, 04:45 PM
I'd hold off on giving him advice on seeing his instructors being that the young man isn't even a Marine yet, let alone a poolee.

Actually I am a poolie i ship out june 22nd for mcrd sd. I just haven't changed my status, ive been in the dep since october.

paulw5555
03-09-10, 04:50 PM
I will be at SOI west. I am just trying to figure out now if I will be able to make it back so they can plan on me being there or not. What I take from this is that it is a possibility but I shouldn't get my hopes up? Does that sound about right? I will just probably have to run it by the instructors when I am there..??

paulw5555
03-09-10, 04:53 PM
Jeeeeeezzz, he hasn't even went to boot camp yet and is already trying to get a weekend out of bounds chit. This is definitely original, if nothing else.
\
ummmm.. no I haven't been to bootcamp yet but I am just wondering if I will be allowed to leave for the weekend. I am not planning on doing anything I am not supposed to do, i am wondering if I will be allowed to do it, and if not thats just the way it goes.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 05:04 PM
Well, how can you make plans for a wedding when you haven't even met with a recruiter and taken the proper steps in getting into the DEP to get a shipdate yet?

paulw5555
03-09-10, 05:09 PM
Well, how can you make plans for a wedding when you haven't even met with a recruiter and taken the proper steps in getting into the DEP to get a shipdate yet?

yeah.. ive been in the dep since october and i ship june 22nd. read my post a few back

polizei
03-09-10, 05:11 PM
Basically, because I'm leaving generous...I won't be too mean. Seriously though, there are MANY factors that you just don't have control over or realize. You could get your ship date pushed back, get held back in boot, held back in SOI, etc. I would venture to say it's not going to happen, but you can ask. At my MOS school they sure as hell wouldn't let you leave. One person did and went UA for something similar. It's NOT worth it.

If your friend wants you there THAT bad, it would be MUCH easier for him to move the date.

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 05:17 PM
yeah.. ive been in the dep since october and i ship june 22nd. read my post a few back
For some reason, I wasn't able to view some posts, so that's why I said what I did about your shipdate.
You've been in the DEP since October of last year and haven't had your status changed yet.....not good. Why don't you PM one of the mods...jinelson or thedrifter...and ask to have your status changed from Marine Friend to poolee.
And I wouldn't count on any SOI instructor letting you go back home just for a wedding. You're there to get more training on being a Marine.
IF you make it through boot camp and become a Marine, being a Marine is your #1 priority, not being in a friends wedding.

paulw5555
03-09-10, 05:18 PM
Basically, because I'm leaving generous...I won't be too mean. Seriously though, there are MANY factors that you just don't have control over or realize. You could get your ship date pushed back, get held back in boot, held back in SOI, etc. I would venture to say it's not going to happen, but you can ask. At my MOS school they sure as hell wouldn't let you leave. One person did and went UA for something similar. It's NOT worth it.

If your friend wants you there THAT bad, it would be MUCH easier for him to move the date.

thanks polizei.. thats the kind of answer i was looking for. i realize i could get bumped back but you dont have any control overthat if it happens. i guess im probably not going to count on it then..

paulw5555
03-09-10, 05:22 PM
IF you make it through boot camp and become a Marine, being a Marine is your #1 priority, not being in a friends wedding.[/quote]

I realize this as well....all i need to know is if you are allowed to leave cali for the weekend in ITB or not. If i cant go then so be it!!! if you have liberty for the weekend what is the difference as long as your back when your supposed to be?

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 05:30 PM
IF you make it through boot camp and become a Marine, being a Marine is your #1 priority, not being in a friends wedding.

I realize this as well....all i need to know is if you are allowed to leave cali for the weekend in ITB or not. If i cant go then so be it!!! if you have liberty for the weekend what is the difference as long as your back when your supposed to be?[/quote]

There's a big difference. Just because you 'might' get liberty on weekends, doesn't mean you can go home for the weekend.

paulw5555
03-09-10, 05:38 PM
There's a big difference. Just because you 'might' get liberty on weekends, doesn't mean you can go home for the weekend.[/quote

OK..thanks for the answer that is good to know, kind of what I was wondering the whole time..

BR34
03-09-10, 05:44 PM
\
ummmm.. no I haven't been to bootcamp yet but I am just wondering if I will be allowed to leave for the weekend. I am not planning on doing anything I am not supposed to do, i am wondering if I will be allowed to do it, and if not thats just the way it goes.

ummmmm.. yes. What you're asking about would require an out of bounds chit. You can't just pack up your sh!t and go wherever you want, whenever you want, weekend or not, in the Marine Corps.

polizei
03-09-10, 06:26 PM
Someone knows where you are 100% of the time in the Corps, at least while in training status.

paulw5555
03-09-10, 06:28 PM
ummmmm.. yes. What you're asking about would require an out of bounds chit. You can't just pack up your sh!t and go wherever you want, whenever you want, weekend or not, in the Marine Corps.

thats what i was asking in the original post!!! would i be allowed to leave or not!?!? i was trying to play by the rules of the corps by asking if i would be allowed to leave or not... maybe having been there done that you couldve explained that to me, that in SOI even if you get liberty on the weekends that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

what i am getting now is probably not but to ask the instructors while there.. thanks to the Marines that answered my question

Lisa 23
03-09-10, 06:33 PM
My advice, don't ask your instructors. They can make your training feel worse than hell.

Quinbo
03-09-10, 06:42 PM
In general terms out of bounds chits are not given out for weekend liberty(48 hours) ... not even to fleet Marines. If the moon and stars are lined up just right and you actually have liberty that...

paulw5555
03-09-10, 07:38 PM
Thanks bulkyker this is the kind of answer i was looking for!!

brian0351
03-09-10, 11:29 PM
Ok...how far will the wedding be from SOI West? Anything more than an hour or two drive I think will be out of bounds.

Liberty out of SOI is spotty at best. Some weekends you'll be in the field and some weekends you will be back in the rear with the opportunity for libo.

It's impossible to tell when you will get weekends off until you get to SOI because of class pickup dates. You may get there and join a class immediately or you may get there and sit around receiving for a month.

As for weekends you do get off. Sometimes you'll get off late Friday and have to be back Sunday by 1700 or you'll get off Saturday morning and have to be back Sunday morning. It's all up in the air.

CplGiraffe
03-10-10, 12:00 AM
When I was at west coast MCT, we had liberty on weekends meaning it started some time whenever they felt it should on Saturday, and ended Saturday night. Then started again on Sunday. Although the last weekend you are there it will be sometime whenever they feel like it on Saturday and back Sunday. I did know a guy in MCT who actually went home during the middle of training and missed a day of training for an event with his daughter that was once in a life time. But they also sent him back in training to start the week he missed a day from over again. He went on an extra hike and got those same classes all over again. Not worth I don't think. Just ask your instructors and explain to them the situation. Most likely they will take it up the chain and see what they can do for you. But don't expect anything. Also, you may get more respect if you type like a regular human being. No need for 14 exclamation marks or question marks, we get the point with one.

paulw5555
03-10-10, 12:58 AM
When I was at west coast MCT, we had liberty on weekends meaning it started some time whenever they felt it should on Saturday, and ended Saturday night. Then started again on Sunday. Although the last weekend you are there it will be sometime whenever they feel like it on Saturday and back Sunday. I did know a guy in MCT who actually went home during the middle of training and missed a day of training for an event with his daughter that was once in a life time. But they also sent him back in training to start the week he missed a day from over again. He went on an extra hike and got those same classes all over again. Not worth I don't think. Just ask your instructors and explain to them the situation. Most likely they will take it up the chain and see what they can do for you. But don't expect anything. Also, you may get more respect if you type like a regular human being. No need for 14 exclamation marks or question marks, we get the point with one.

hey thanks for the answer.. i agree about the typing part but i was just getting ****ed no one would answer my question

paulw5555
03-10-10, 01:00 AM
Ok...how far will the wedding be from SOI West? Anything more than an hour or two drive I think will be out of bounds.

Liberty out of SOI is spotty at best. Some weekends you'll be in the field and some weekends you will be back in the rear with the opportunity for libo.

It's impossible to tell when you will get weekends off until you get to SOI because of class pickup dates. You may get there and join a class immediately or you may get there and sit around receiving for a month.

As for weekends you do get off. Sometimes you'll get off late Friday and have to be back Sunday by 1700 or you'll get off Saturday morning and have to be back Sunday morning. It's all up in the air.

It will be half way across the country so im not gettin my hopes up. thanks for the reply.

CplGiraffe
03-10-10, 03:50 PM
hey thanks for the answer.. i agree about the typing part but i was just getting ****ed no one would answer my question

Well remember young grasshopper, you posted in the "Ask a Marine" forum. Not the "Demand of an answer from a Marine" forum. If the Marines don't feel you need an answer to some question that could possibly happen upon a lot of things going right (not to mention the marriage staying according as planned on the same date for the next year+) then they don't have to answer your question. Keep in mind courtesies and respect at all times, and most likely you will get a quick and sufficient answer.

crazymjb
03-10-10, 10:19 PM
Definitely just ask, it won't hurt. In SOI my company was not a bunch of screw-ups, after the first 2 weeks we got Friday-Sunday libo the remaining time there. As I said, I know of at least 1 Marine who was allowed to travel a little further under special circumstances, in fact I think he was even released early to catch a flight (remember him leaving before we were let out).

Mike