PDA

View Full Version : College (Science) Lab Courses While Enlisted?

RyanS
03-08-10, 09:24 AM
Hello Marines,

I already have my 4 year degree in Biology and I was hoping to take a handful of specific science courses while I'm on active duty to boost my resume for grad school. I know that there are plenty of universities on or near the main bases and a plethora of online courses. However, I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to take any science courses that have labs at all. I don't know my MOS since I'm going in Open Contract, but if any Marines have taken science courses while in the fleet, I'd appreciate some first hand knowledge on the topic.

Thank you.

Zulu 36
03-08-10, 12:15 PM
Hello Marines,

I already have my 4 year degree in Biology and I was hoping to take a handful of specific science courses while I'm on active duty to boost my resume for grad school. I know that there are plenty of universities on or near the main bases and a plethora of online courses. However, I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to take any science courses that have labs at all. I don't know my MOS since I'm going in Open Contract, but if any Marines have taken science courses while in the fleet, I'd appreciate some first hand knowledge on the topic.

Thank you.

This subject has been well covered before, so there should be plenty of info to be found using the site's search feature.

However, the answer to your question is: "it depends." It depends on your MOS, where exactly you are stationed, your unit, your personal workload, etc. If you're assigned to a fleet unit working up for a deployment, you'll have essentially no time for college.

If you luck out and get assigned at Camp Pendleton to a base unit, you'll probably have time. Pendleton (or MCAS Miramar) are probably closest to the most universities and colleges that would have science lab courses reasonably close by. If you can stand the flaming liberals.