PDA

View Full Version : what to do about drunks

pfcdad
03-07-10, 10:25 AM
My son has had a couple of run in's with lance corprals being drunk and pushing there way into his room , the last one was last night ,the kid came in threating to kill my PFC came at him and my son grabbed him by the neck and threw him into the bath room , then he threw the drunk kid out of the room , who should he call , the MP's or the officer of the day , this happened last night he's at Lejeune , this is getting old and getting me p@#$@d and advice , I did tell him to find his Copral and follow the chain of comand on this

Phantom Blooper
03-07-10, 10:39 AM
You gave proper advice....

However he should get ahold of the Duty NCO or the Officer of the Day and have it logged in the duty log.

Also when something like this happens it is natural to defend oneself....but he needs to just get out of the room and report it to those duties who should determine either to subdue the drunk or call security..(MP's)

Marines don't do that type of behavior and the obnoxious drunks are trying to show thier azz.

I certainly would tell...because fighting them unless your life is in danger is only prolonging the problem and could also result to hazing.....and someone getting hurt or worse.:evilgrin:

Supersquishy
03-07-10, 11:18 AM
Tell him to keep his door locked.

CH53MetalMan
03-07-10, 12:10 PM
Very tough situation no matter how it is handled. And you'll get all kinds of advice on which way to go with this.

If I were your son, I would confront the offenders when they are sober and lay down the law in no uncertain terms. He should mention that he does not wish to take it to superiors for NJP - - but if he is left with no other alternative, they will lose rank.

My reasoning for this approach is because men don't ask others to do what they can do for themselves. Maintaining respect is important.

FistFu68
03-07-10, 12:47 PM
:evilgrin: I'd go too the Company Gunny request from special services Two Pair of Boxing Gloves then take it outside in Front of the whole Company and git it on!!! And Sober that Drunk up 4 good. S/F :mad: :iwo:

pfcdad
03-07-10, 01:10 PM
He found his CPL and he's taking care of it , this clown is a screw up and is not the first time he has been in trouble according to the other CPL that know him , the CPL is going to take it right up through the SGT' and the SSGT and so on up the line ,
My PFC would love a pair of boxing gloves But would mess the other kid up bad , he's been doing martial arts since he was seven and knows how to fight thats why nobody in his platoon messes around with him , I feel he used very good judgment in not hurting this kid, this kid was from another platoon , I told him to make sure he locks his doors from know on ,
This kid came into my sons room around midnight and threated to kill him ,what right did that clown have to do that?, I feel he did the right thing But you don't know if the kid had a weapon or not , it could have been a lot worse than it is , my son has no Patience for drunks

Supersquishy
03-07-10, 01:19 PM
He found his CPL and he's taking care of it , this clown is a screw up and is not the first time he has been in trouble according to the other CPL that know him , the CPL is going to take it right up through the SGT' and the SSGT and so on up the line ,
My PFC would love a pair of boxing gloves But would mess the other kid up bad , he's been doing martial arts since he was seven and knows how to fight thats why nobody in his platoon messes around with him , I feel he used very good judgment in not hurting this kid, this kid was from another platoon , I told him to make sure he locks his doors from know on ,
This kid came into my sons room around midnight and threated to kill him ,what right did that clown have to do that?, I feel he did the right thing But you don't know if the kid had a weapon or not , it could have been a lot worse than it is , my son has no Patience for drunks

He did the appropriate thing. Now adays must be on best behavior no matter what the situation.:evilgrin:

pfcdad
03-07-10, 01:28 PM
I have noticed that SGT's and SSGT's know what is it to be a Marine , from what I'm told and here some Lance Coprals have a hard time with it , I worked in the construction trade my whole live and know s$%t heads when i see them and here about them , I would just take them out behind the building and educate them a little , my son does not want any trouble and does not give any one any s%&t does what he's told when he's told to do it with out question , and is well liked by the by his piers .
I'll wait and see if it really is handled in house

Lisa 23
03-07-10, 01:49 PM
In my opinion, let your son handle the situation at hand with his NCO's and SNCO's. I can understand as a parent that you want to help handle this for him, but if you get involved with his COC (Chain of Command), it might make the situation worse for him.
To me, the best way to deal with drunks is to ignore them. I know that at times, that that's hard to do and that you can't always do that, but it's better than getting into trouble over them.

pfcdad
03-07-10, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for your input I'm going to watch from the side lines and see how this plays out for him , hopefully the drunk will have a long talk with his first SGT and smarten up and fly right , this has made up my sons mind to never pick up a drink

FistFu68
03-07-10, 02:00 PM
:evilgrin: Maybe just Maybe if the Situation is handled right this Lance Coolie,will get the help He needs with His drinking Problem,before it's too Late.Even if He is a Fuc Up,Hes still a Marine!!!GodSpeed too both of them Your Son @ tha' L/Cpl. S/F :flag:

Old Marine
03-07-10, 04:33 PM
When I was at Pendleton many years ago, we had a Jewish Marine that this other Marine was constantly screwing with. This Marine was the typical bully and was always harrasing this Jewish Marine and one evening he came in drunk and took the guy's Star of David and smashed it to pieces.

Later the drunk passed out on his rack and the Jewish Marine got up and took his "E" Tool out of it carrier, went over to the drunks rack and smacked him in the face with it. Broke many bones in the drunks face and after he got out of the hospital he was quiet as a church mouse and never bothered the other Marine again.

commdog7
03-07-10, 04:48 PM
The best way to resolve the situation is to notify the duty NCO and take it up the chain of command.

SlingerDun
03-07-10, 05:15 PM
Even though waylaying a drunk can be mildly entertaining, a drunk usually only recalls a portion of humility and the session may have to be repeated.

I would confront the offenders when they are sober and lay down the law in no uncertain termsYeah that sounds good especially when the offenders know a person is willing and able to pitch into them with the proper vigor.

--->Dave

WKranz
03-07-10, 06:12 PM
This happens all the time when you are a fresh boot. The last thing you want to do as a parent is get involved, because someone will find out, and he will hate life even more.

Most Marines (and certainly infantry ones) know about this/do this, and the general consensus is, "this happened to me, and it was worse, so he should suck it up." In no way am I condoning it, but this is common place and often much worse in nature.

rktect3j
03-07-10, 07:25 PM
I think my response is "what has your pfc done" to merit this attention by not one Lcpl but apparently several. I don't want to sound like I am picking on your son but if this was a single occurance or being done by another single Marine, I can understand but for this to have happened several times, I have to ask the question. What has he done to apparently have ****ed off his fellow Marines? Again, I am not saying that he has done something bad but maybe something he has done or is doing is ****ing Marines off. People don't just get picked on over and over for no reason.

Old Marine
03-07-10, 09:26 PM
People just don't get picked on over and over for no reason."

Maybe not in a fantasy world, but in the real world it happens and it is BS. There are some people in this world who for no reason like to mess with other people and make life miserable for them.

The types of people need to get their priorities straight, before someone gets hurt very badly.

CH53MetalMan
03-07-10, 09:38 PM
I think my response is "what has your pfc done" to merit this attention by not one Lcpl but apparently several. I don't want to sound like I am picking on your son but if this was a single occurance or being done by another single Marine, I can understand but for this to have happened several times, I have to ask the question. What has he done to apparently have ****ed off his fellow Marines? Again, I am not saying that he has done something bad but maybe something he has done or is doing is ****ing Marines off. People don't just get picked on over and over for no reason.

It takes no more than being the 'newbee' for a Marine to get ganged up on by other Marines. This isn't always the case, but often enough it is.

I'm sure it is difficult for anyone in this situation, Parent or Marine, but all things will pass, in the end, you'll look back on this as just another learning & growing experince.

Quinbo
03-07-10, 11:20 PM
When I was a boot someone knocked me down and broke my glasses and stole my lunch money. After I explained to the 1st Sgt that the welt under my eye was caused by me walking into a door; there wasn't a man in my unit that wouldn't step right in if anyone effed with me again. We took it all the way to combat. I wasn't no welsh and that was just a test.

I didn't wear glasses and didn't have lunch money but you get the picture.

foreverproud
03-07-10, 11:30 PM
Well... I'm just a Marine mom...but I think it best to just listen and let him figure it out by himself which I'm sure he will.

tdrt
03-08-10, 09:11 AM
Well... I'm just a Marine mom...but I think it best to just listen and let him figure it out by himself which I'm sure he will.

You are certainly more that "just a", but I do agree with you. As a mom myself, even though it kills me not to step in and fix everything, you need to let go and let them fight their own battles, etc.

He is a Marine. He knows exactly what he needs to do and having mommy or daddy step in to fix things is certainly not going to help matters -- will most likely make them very much worse.

boomer56328
03-08-10, 09:32 AM
This is really commonplace to someone who just hit the fleet. I'd tell him to stand up for himself and let them no he isn't going to take any of their B.S. There is no need to take it up the chain if he is able to handle it himself. He doesn't want to be the guy who is known as the one who always runs to his NCO's when he has a problem with other junior Marine's. This creates unwanted tension and trust issues between him and the other guys in his unit. It was always best in my experience to try to handle these situations amoung the troops.

usmcdanno
03-08-10, 09:44 PM
If your son is such the badass that you claim, he should have just taken care of business right then and there. That's the old school way and always worked pretty darn good for me. If he'd beat up a drunk that came into his room who threatened to kill him, believe me the OOD would have been on his side. I spent many a night as OOD and had similar circumstances occur. Never even made a log book entry about such. I'd call it peer justice. If he's to make it in the Marine Corps, he needs to learn to defend and take care of himself. Don't expect or let other people fight your battles. You'll never go wrong sticking up for yourself in the Marine Corps.......just make sure you're in the right.

CH53MetalMan
03-08-10, 11:06 PM
Gunny

I think you are reading into this all wrong. With the rarest exception, a sober Marine (or anyone else) could tear into a drunken fool that is asking for it, but we don't always do that, probable because it would just be to easy. I'm sure if the Marine in question here, were in serious jeopardy, he would have prevented himself from being hurt. At this point it is likely more of a pride & respect issue, rather than a physical threat. We all know how tough 'some' Marines act when drinking.

All that is happening here, is the Marine has a close relationship and respect for his Dad, and requested his council. And the Dad was smart enough, to come here for more information.

usmcdanno
03-08-10, 11:34 PM
True enough CH-53. Perhaps I do "read into" things in a different perspective. I don't think that I'm "wrong" though. I simply speak from my experience and the way things were taken care of in my day. Seeking counsel from one's father is valiant, however the father has no clue what it takes to be a Marine. There's way too much inflection of the mothers and fathers concerning the day-to-day running of our Corps. I highly encourage parents and junior Marines to listen to good sound counsel from Marine Staff NCO's. After all, we're the ones that will get your son or daughter back to you safely. That or die trying in my book.

CH53MetalMan
03-09-10, 01:43 AM
Gunny

I agree 100%

Staff NCO's are the best counsel for jr. Marines. But I'm wondering if this Marine may have been afraid of "breaking his chain of command" by leap frogging ahead or reluctant to start at the bottom, and let others perceive him to be a snitch.

usmcdanno
03-09-10, 02:22 AM
Presenting a problem to your SNCOIC is not "jumping the chain". I always had an open door policy when a younger Marine wanted to talk to me about something. Jumping the chain involves officers. Believe me, you don't want to run simple problems up the flag pole. If a young Marine feels like he's in an environment where he thinks he can't talk to his SNCOIC, then sadly he's in a bad leadership environment. Thankfully that very rarely occurs in our Marine Corps. Keep the faith.

Gunner 0313
03-09-10, 02:23 AM
:flag:I'd be curious to know what kind of unit the son is with.

WKranz
03-09-10, 03:41 AM
This happened all the time when i was a boot, so prolly a grunt battalion. He is lucky it aint situps under the hot shower while you scream your 9 line cas evac drill. Or sandbag runs at 0300. Or fists to the face anytime you're near.

Silentwarrior17
03-09-10, 07:46 AM
I almost guarantee it’s a grunt unit. As the good Gunny stated before it is just a matter of bad leadership. I don’t care how new the Marine is, now granted every ’boot’ has to go through his/her fair share and I‘m not going to sit here and say I don‘t do certain things, but there comes a time and point. I never let any Marine mess with my boys. I never cared what rank they were or where they came from, if you mess with my Marines you mess with me. Now granted this has gotten me into a world of sh*t, but I’ve never been non rec’ed or had a bad fitrep, just a major azz chewing every once in awhile. Usually the azz chewing was followed by the 1st Sgt saying ‘You knew that was coming. Keep it up’ If the boot had good leadership, he wouldn’t have a problem and the NCO’s would’ve taken care of this sh*tbird right after it happened. Chalk it up to bad leadership and probably NCO’s who worry more about their cutting score, and themselves, than taking care of their Marines. I am sick and tired of Marines not realize how things work…YOUR MARINES FIRST, then yourself.

Gunner 0313
03-09-10, 10:00 AM
:flag:Right or wrong, meh. It aint no piano recital !

buggoffextco
03-09-10, 10:45 AM
It would have only happened once with me, after that, that Lance would surely have looked for easier pickings somewhere elsewhere

FistFu68
03-09-10, 11:49 AM
:evilgrin: A good Ass whipin' has helped many a Marine get an Attitude adjustment and they started acting right,WTF has this World turned into?No Fucing Respect :confused: :iwo:

pfcdad
03-09-10, 02:34 PM
My son took it up through the proper channels , he did the right thing in not pummeling this kid , he would have wound up in trouble , he has taken his fair of crap from the other members of his unit as he should have But no one should have to put up with drunk , busting b@#ls in one thing but forcing your way into a room at midnight is another . his NCO's took care of the problem

DrewCfruit
03-09-10, 02:43 PM
How about let him deal with it on his own. Nothing more embarresting that a "Marine's" parents still involved and trying to step in or run his son's life when they joined to grow the hell up! Let him grow. I am taking it that you probably even pay his bills for him too....wow! Marines are counseled and go through safety briefs and get word or passdown all the time..."your PFC" knows what to do...his COC has probably told him on numerous occations that if you run into ANY trouble, call me or text me so we are informed! FINAL NOTE: GROW UP PFC and STOP CALLING MOMMY AND DADDY!

pfcdad
03-09-10, 03:00 PM
he did the matter is done and over with , I will not be visiting this site again so you can stop commenting every one has an opinion and your entitled to it

tdrt
03-09-10, 03:08 PM
he did the matter is done and over with , I will not be visiting this site again so you can stop commenting every one has an opinion and your entitled to it

You came in here and asked our opinions. Don't ask a Marine what he/she thinks unless you are prepared for an honest response.

Zulu 36
03-09-10, 03:09 PM
:evilgrin: A good Ass whipin' has helped many a Marine get an Attitude adjustment and they started acting right,WTF has this World turned into?No Fucing Respect :confused: :iwo:

Things have changed since our day, Fist. More's the pity. Back then somebody would have been knocked down a ladderwell, or have some other hard object laid upside their head. Not to mention what the Platoon Sergeant would do the next day.

Everything has gotten too PC. Ain't the kid's fault, he has to follow the rules for his own sake.

AAV Crewchief
03-09-10, 03:56 PM
You gave proper advice....

However he should get ahold of the Duty NCO or the Officer of the Day and have it logged in the duty log.

Also when something like this happens it is natural to defend oneself....but he needs to just get out of the room and report it to those duties who should determine either to subdue the drunk or call security..(MP's)

Marines don't do that type of behavior and the obnoxious drunks are trying to show thier azz.

I certainly would tell...because fighting them unless your life is in danger is only prolonging the problem and could also result to hazing.....and someone getting hurt or worse.:evilgrin:

I beat the crap out of drunk, young PFC at CLNC one night for squirting a fire extinguisher under my door. I tried to cut him a break, but he was too out of it and then wanted to get mouthy. I put a 5 pound weight in my hand and punched him in the face. Message understood then.

commdog7
03-09-10, 08:01 PM
I don't see a problem with what pfcdad posted. He's a concerned parent, it's natural to want to guide your kid. He's just looking for advice to pass along to his son, it's not like he's calling up his son's command and demanding justice.

I don't see what the big deal is.

Quinbo
03-09-10, 08:09 PM
I don't see where anyone hazed pfcdad. Many just offered personal anecdotes and experience as well as recommendations. Possibly he took it wrong. The internet makes it difficult at times to relay...

fs19
03-11-10, 09:39 AM
Sounds to me like someone needs to grow up and fight their own battles.

spotts
03-11-10, 10:06 AM
I guess things are alot different now then when I was in from 89-93. We dealt with most of these trivial isses amongst ourselves. If it got out of hand or we couldnt handle it then NCO justice was handed down. There wasnt a need to get you platoon in the eyes of the 1st Sgt or higher ups. Political Correctness is killing everything I as a Marine held near and dear.

My father (Marine Corps Sergeant 67-71) would have chewed my ass for calling him and crying about being picked on.

sully0331
03-11-10, 10:10 AM
Most certainly a Grunt Unit. If it doesnt kill ya it only makes ya stronger.

WKranz
03-11-10, 10:12 AM
I don't see a problem with what pfcdad posted. He's a concerned parent, it's natural to want to guide your kid. He's just looking for advice to pass along to his son, it's not like he's calling up his son's command and demanding justice.

I don't see what the big deal is.

No issue with his question, however, he wasn't pleased with the fact that no one gave a crap and this was something we all experienced to some extent.

His kid sounds like a wiener either way, i would never have told my parents how much being a boot sucked, especially if i was a mega impressive martial artist like this guy.

Quinbo
03-11-10, 10:15 AM
That's what I meant. A little pushing and shoving aint gonna end up in the log book or result in a charge sheet in a grunt unit. If someone gets hurt then it should be logged, if nothing but hurt...

FistFu68
03-11-10, 12:28 PM
:evilgrin: Dam,Sgt.B;aren't You coming down on the Lad a little too Hard(LoL)maybe We should get Drunk and give Him and His whole Family a good Azz Whipin' :D :iwo:

TunTvrnWarrior
03-11-10, 02:25 PM
I have "zero" patience for violent drunks. You cant reason with them. The only thing they understand is several well placed blows to the head and the gut. Personally, I could care less if the drunk goes up for NJP. He made his bed, let him lie in it in CCU.

boomer56328
03-11-10, 05:10 PM
I remember quite a few of us going to blows over stupid stuff. I don't remember anyone ever getting into any trouble over a fight, it was just the way we worked out differences sometimes. My best friend and I got into a fight on ship once over a movie, believe it or not. We had Marines looking out for us and separated us when it got to heated (He grabbed a steel folding chair). When guys have a disagreement and it goes to blows you just need to have trust that the other guys in your unit don't let it get out of hand and don't run to the SSgt. or 1st Sgt. looking to get anyone in trouble.

Quinbo
03-11-10, 08:09 PM
I remember quite a few of us going to blows over stupid stuff. I don't remember anyone ever getting into any trouble over a fight, it was just the way we worked out differences sometimes. My best friend and I got into a fight on ship once over a movie, believe it or not. We had Marines looking out for us and separated us when it got to heated (He grabbed a steel folding chair). When guys have a disagreement and it goes to blows you just need to have trust that the other guys in your unit don't let it get out of hand and don't run to the SSgt. or 1st Sgt. looking to get anyone in trouble.

And that's the way it is.