PDA

View Full Version : Tax Time

HereandThere
03-06-10, 09:28 AM
I did my taxes on line the other night and found a very good,
easy to use site I found on IRS.gov.It's called Turbo Tax,just like the software you see in the stores.A few new tax laws came to my attention.

1- If your doing a short form 1040A and taking the standard deductions you can add your property taxes to the standard deduction,up to $1,000.00.
So if your married filing jointly instead of $11,400.00 deduction you can take a 12,400.00 deduction.

2-There's a new law called "Making work pay and government retiree credits" you use schedule M.
You can get up to a $800.00 tax credit depending on your income.

Good Luck.

Izzame2
03-07-10, 06:24 AM
I stopped using Turbo Tax when I read several years ago that they were packaging spyware in there software sold in the stores.The spy ware or malware was call c-dilla and reeked havoc on peoples computers.It dealt with preventing people from copying the software which is understandable but, it made a lot of people angry because they couldn't install it on another computer if they bought a new one and added to the running processes which was slowing their pc's down.
I can't speak for the on line version of Turbo Tax it maybe OK for all intents and purposes.I just don't trust them is all.
Here is an article that may be helpful http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,821479,00.asp

HereandThere
03-07-10, 08:44 AM
I stopped using Turbo Tax when I read several years ago that they were packaging spyware in there software sold in the stores.The spy ware or malware was call c-dilla and reeked havoc on peoples computers.It dealt with preventing people from copying the software which is understandable but, it made a lot of people angry because they couldn't install it on another computer if they bought a new one and added to the running processes which was slowing their pc's down.
I can't speak for the on line version of Turbo Tax it maybe OK for all intents and purposes.I just don't trust them is all.
Here is an article that may be helpful http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,821479,00.asp

I didn't load their software on my computer,they are a IRS authorized tax site to file your taxes on line.I used a different a site to do my taxes last year and found this site to be much better.
Main reason I posted is because of the new tax laws that are easy to miss,especially the law concerning taking property tax deductions on a 1040A short form.

Rocky C
03-07-10, 08:49 AM
Tax Exempt :)