PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Memorize Everything You Needed To Know Before MCRD?

LOLORSKATES
03-06-10, 08:00 AM
And by this question I mean such things as
- characteristics of the M16A4 rifle
- 11 general orders for a sentry
- etc (Marines Hymn, history, core values, and the code of conduct)

Did you drill it into your head until you were never able to forget it? Or were there other ways you went about knowing this vast amount of information?

Thank you and have a good day

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 08:02 AM
Do you plan on enlisting in the Marine Corps with that big tattoo across your chest?

LOLORSKATES
03-06-10, 08:04 AM
Do you plan on enlisting in the Marine Corps with that big tattoo across your chest?
Yes ma'am I do.

BR34
03-06-10, 08:15 AM
Study it the same way you would study for a test.

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 08:21 AM
Well, you do know that you'll have to get a waiver for that tattoo that may or may not get approved.

LOLORSKATES
03-06-10, 08:25 AM
Well, you do know that you'll have to get a waiver for that tattoo that may or may not get approved.
I was unaware of such. I knew of the waivers, but for other reasons and not tattoos.

I'm guessing the outcome of a waiver can be multiple weeks or possibly longer?

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 08:33 AM
Do a search on the site for tattoos, as that topic has been covered before.

Phantom Blooper
03-06-10, 08:58 AM
Back in my day....before internet.....you went to boot camp and the drill instructor taught the recruits everything they needed to know.....or another instructor in the theater did the classroom instruction.....then it was a matter of repetition and repeat everything when we were on line or in school circle.

Make you some flash card and keep at it until you learn what you need to know.

Read the Poolee Forum as this question has been posed and there are some good answers besides flash cards.

And you will definitely need a waiver for that tattoo.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
03-06-10, 09:17 AM
You may be better suited for the carnival.

blackup
03-06-10, 09:53 AM
And by this question I mean such things as
- characteristics of the M16A4 rifle
- 11 general orders for a sentry
- etc (Marines Hymn, history, core values, and the code of conduct)

Did you drill it into your head until you were never able to forget it? Or were there other ways you went about knowing this vast amount of information?

Thank you and have a good day

Your DIs will teach you everything you need man, there's no need to worry about it right now. You will repeat it so many times you wish you never heard it before boot camp. Enjoy your time now :D

LOLORSKATES
03-06-10, 10:00 AM
You may be better suited for the carnival.
I'm sorry but was that really necessary?

and thank you Phantom Blooper & BR34 for your tips on memorizing such information..

Now I'm off to go visit my recruiter :D

Quinbo
03-06-10, 10:12 AM
On a good note if you die your family can have you skinned out and made into a lamp shade.

blackup
03-06-10, 10:15 AM
On a good note if you die your family can have you skinned out and made into a lamp shade.

Really man?

Quinbo
03-06-10, 10:17 AM
Yea Man

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 10:58 AM
For now, I'd worry more about whether you'll get a waiver for that tattoo approved or not, than worrying about how to memorize Marine Corps knowledge.

BR34
03-06-10, 12:01 PM
If the tattoo isn't visible in PT gear and it isn't offensive they shouldn't have any reason to deny a waiver.

Rocky C
03-06-10, 03:52 PM
You didn't.
You signed, you went!!!

Kegler300
03-06-10, 04:01 PM
I didn't study anything before I went to boot camp...there's hope for everybody.

Rocky C
03-06-10, 04:08 PM
I didn't study anything before I went to boot camp...there's hope for everybody.

:D:thumbup::flag:

ameriken
03-06-10, 05:11 PM
Speaking of waivers: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93455

Just talked to a recruiter yesterday morning. Anybody interested in joining be advised of the following: If you go into the recruiters office right now, fully qualified, the quickest you can possibly go to bootcamp is in November. You might squeek in earlier if they have someone that fails to ship at the last minute, but you can bet that you'd have to go in open contract. If you have any disqualifying issues, forget about it. They pretty much just aren't processing ANY waivers. Why would they when they got six more right behind you wanting to join that don't require a waiver. Recruiters don't have to beat the bushes anymore to find qualified people. The economy has made their jobs very easy for the present time and into the foreseeable future. No high school diploma....forget about it. Only exception is that if you have a GED, then you must have a certain amount of college credits in addition to it. Good luck, but right now you're not gonna get in unless you're "perfect"

LOLORSKATES
03-06-10, 08:33 PM
My recruiter told me that I shouldn't have a problem with my tattoos (though it isn't his decision to allow me in the Corp.)

& One thing I've learned from this thread alone is that even if you're a Marine you can still be a disrespectful human being.

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 08:40 PM
My recruiter told me that I shouldn't have a problem with my tattoos (though it isn't his decision to allow me in the Corp.)

& One thing I've learned from this thread alone is that even if you're a Marine you can still be a disrespectful human being.
Leave the attitude at the door there young man. :evilgrin: This is a Marine Corps site, and everyone else here are just guests.

Read this before posting in Ask A Marine
7. No crying, please. If you are posting here, you must want to be a Marine. If one of our answers hurts your feelings or you feel we are not treating you nicely, you may want to consider a different career. If you cannot handle things said to you on the internet, you will not survive in our Corps. Wal-mart is always accepting applications.

8. Expect respect until you disrespect. Marines follow a tradition of mentorship which is the reason why most of us answer questions here. If we perceive a bad attitude in your correspondence with us, you may become familiar with more of our traditions, hostility and belligerence. Don’t go away mad. Just go away. The site administrator will expedite your departure.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

And it's Corps, not Corp.

Phantom Blooper
03-06-10, 09:10 PM

I don't know the current uniform regulations.....but if the "V" neck tee shirt is still authorized with the Charlie and Utility uniform....part of that tattoo would be showing.

Again you need to get the current scoop...not what a recruiter or another Marine says....without the written documentation and to make sure not only in PT gear...but in all uniforms with all or optional uniform items....

Some commands may say to fall out with tee shirts on and some commands may not.....used to be if a males hairline on the chest protruded out of the tee shirt in uniform.....he either needed to shave that hair...pluck it...or wax it to be in regulation standards.....

Check and double check before you get in too deep.....

Make sure and recheck that the tattoo would be the only waiver that you would need....no medical or legal snafus to hold up the process.

Persistence is key....you are still young so this eligibility process may be lifted in the future.:evilgrin:

Socal2361
03-06-10, 10:26 PM
You don't need to learn anything before bootcamp, just worry about getting there for now. When you get to bootcamp your DI's will ensure you know all the knowledge you need, you can bet on it.

SGT7477
03-06-10, 10:36 PM

If you think of disrespect wait until you meet your DI's.:D

Sgt Leprechaun
03-07-10, 01:04 AM
Cry me a river. You post some funky pic of yourself looking like you just dropped out of 'Tattoo magazine's' front cover and DON'T expect a little razzing?

You are gonna get your feelings hurt a LOT worse in Recruit Training laddie.

If you can't make it here....

So, suck it up and quit whining.

Moving on....

The tat will DEF. require a waiver, and right now, the Corps isn't in a 'waiver giving' mood. Although another wannabee just got one not long ago (his was on his arm and could be covered easily) yours.....well, perhaps not so much.

Study skills are usually 'taught' in school.

However, the best advice I can give is to constantly repeat the 11 General Orders and everything else you've been told to learn. Over and over. Again and again. Because that's what you are going to do in Recruit Training.

BR34
03-07-10, 08:43 AM
Speaking of waivers: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93455

Looks like I should be doing some paperwork to become a recruiter.

BR34
03-07-10, 08:45 AM
I don't know the current uniform regulations.....but if the "V" neck tee shirt is still authorized with the Charlie and Utility uniform....part of that tattoo would be showing.

I don't know if it's authorized but I've certainly never seen it. The oddest thing I've seen in a Service C uniform was the CO at my MOS school wearing chucks without any t-shirt at all. That was a big shocker for us, coming straight from boot camp/MCT.

Phantom Blooper
03-07-10, 09:58 AM
The oddest thing I've seen in a Service C uniform was the CO at my MOS school wearing chucks without any t-shirt at all.

That was allowed years ago....that is why I said to question it....never liked it personally....but some commands had no problem with it.:evilgrin:

erased
03-08-10, 01:48 AM
Looks like I should be doing some paperwork to become a recruiter.

You could just do what I did... wait for the HRST list to come out.

As for the tattoo, if there is nothing offensive in it, it should be fine. It looks like it'll be covered up by all your uniforms.

Quinbo
03-08-10, 02:27 AM
General Gray instituted the V necked T-shirt and the removal of the chevron from the cover. We were all confused for a bit on the chevron part and had to run out and buy v neck t-shirts. He was staunchly against name tapes and believed that we should all know each other's names instead of some name tag at jiffy lube that says "Hi I'm Fred". Now instead of looking a Marine in the eye after scanning his cover you have to look at his collar and scan his boots.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-10, 02:32 AM
LOL! Yep. Hated the stupid Chevrons on the cover thing. But the 'chesthair' t-shirts weren't a favorite of mine either.

I was against the nametape crap too and resisted that sheet as long as possible. Like, until the last day I was allowed to get away without 'em.

fespar
03-08-10, 07:38 AM
In a recent issue of either Leatherneck Magazine or Marine Corps Gazette I read that the Marine Corps DOES NOT ACCEPT TATTOOS anymore.

BR34
03-08-10, 08:12 AM
That just can't be right.

Mac3043
03-09-10, 08:48 PM
In a recent issue of either Leatherneck Magazine or Marine Corps Gazette I read that the Marine Corps DOES NOT ACCEPT TATTOOS anymore.

The first thing we did during my time in our Corps was get a tattoo. Time have changed.