PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Career path did you take after being a Marine?

Dreamer101
03-06-10, 05:39 AM
I am interested in hearing from the Marines on this site about what MOS you were in and what type of Career path you got into after you duty was over. Thank you.

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 07:45 AM
Never mind.

blackup
03-06-10, 09:55 AM
Student.

rktect3j
03-06-10, 10:18 AM
0352 TOW missiles

during the four years I spent in the Corps I came up with my main goals.

College degree in architecture
find a wife
purchase home
have kids
become licensed architect

been there now, done that

not because of 0352 mos but because I'm a Marine.

Without earning that title I'd be bagging groceries right now at age 42.

I have no doubt about that.

Zulu 36
03-06-10, 01:33 PM
I originally planned to stay in the Corps, but the post-Vietnam military changed my mind. Since I was an MP at the time and really liked police work, I stayed in police work. I also became a licensed paramedic.

I started as a federal officer, then went to a municipal department (more money, more lateral and vertical movement).

I did everything my police department had to offer that I wanted to do. Patrol, traffic, detective, narcotics, patrol supervisor, detective supervisor, narcotics supervisor, detective bureau commander, patrol shift commander, firearms instructor, SWAT, police academy instructor. I retired as the deputy chief and would have become chief if medical problems didn't get in the way.

I also stayed in the reserves, first the Marine Corps then the Air National Guard (all in military police). I retired in 1992 as a MSgt (E-7). I refused to become an officer as I enjoyed being an NCO too much. I didn't want the frontal lobotomy either. I also liked my unit too much to transfer to get higher NCO rank. You can call that planned underachieving. When it stopped being fun, I got out (going to war with the active duty Air Force stopped the fun). For those six-months I wished heartily I was back in the Corps.

Now I have two masters degrees and I'm involved in Scouting, primarily in training adult leaders and Scouts in CPR/Wilderness First Aid.

I was married and have three great kids (2-F, 1-M), one of whom is in Afghanistan right now on a volunteer deployment with the AF Reserves (and she has learned what I meant about being at war with the active duty AF).

From here, I take life as it comes.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-07-10, 12:48 AM
Police work (which I just totally blundered into), started in traffic/patrol, worked Gang Task Force, Crime Analyst, Bike patrol, Field Training Officer, Investigator, Major Crimes, Sex Crimes, now a Desk Sergeant and Hostage Negotiation Team leader with a Federal agency. Also have my own business as a Private Investigator and Security Guard CEO.

About ready to retire from the Air National Guard with a degree in Environmental Engineering.

Involved in Scouting as well, have been a Cubmaster and will likely be an Assistant Scoutmaster for my son's troop when he moves this month.

In between I've been an editorial columnist for Marine Corps Times, Security/Investigations Consultant, Antiques/Collectables Dealer, TV and Movie Actor, Civil War Infantry and Medical Reenactor, and a 911 Dispatcher.