PDA

View Full Version : Getting med. discharged. I Have some questions

lmholmes11
03-05-10, 04:27 PM
I have been diagnosed with PTSD from the VA. I am currently in the Reserves. I have a little under a year left in my contract. I notified my drill center about my conditions and my VA apointments, so as a result I am scheduled for a medical board, which will verify my conditions are linked to active duty and determine if I am eligible for compensation. Now...here is my question.

I have my C&P exam next month and my medical board will be late summer/fall time. Will my rating (if i get a rating) from the VA that results from my C&P exam be over rode by the rating that is a result of my medical board? Or will they just NOT do a rating after my med board if i am already rated. My units corpman did not know the answer.

Any insight is appreciated.

Garyius
03-06-10, 08:03 AM
The two can give evidence to each other but are not directly linked. The VA can and usually does assign a different disability level. If the dot mil board gives you zero the VA may reopen their C&P, but given the current
caseload I doubt that would happen.

The magic number in the VA system is 20%, because you get voc rehab which you can use in addition to the GI Bill.

Hopefully you are using one of the veteran groups services (Legion/VFW/DAV)? Have copies been submitted of all your medical issues and deployment records? Did you get them certifed by a commissioned officer?

If you are not using a vet service, I STRONGLY suggest you go to one of the groups and get help. They have professionals at the VA offices they pay to help you not get the paperwork shaft from the VA. They will arrange your evidence and will argue with the system for you.