PDA

View Full Version : Yet another MOS question.

LilRingo
03-05-10, 01:50 PM
Hey Marines!
Alright, here's the deal, i was wondering what MOS's would most likely land me on a Ship. I love the sea, and if I didnt want to be a Marine, I would definately join the Navy, but i want the Title, so Marines it is for me.

Any help is much appreciated!

TinDragon
03-05-10, 02:01 PM
Actually, pretty much any job can end up on a "ship" but chances are it'll be more for getting to and from a place than something you'll be on all the time. Closest thing you can get to ship life in the Marine Corps is called a "MEU" Marine Expeditionary Unit. You can be either permanent personnel or TAD to the MEU. Out here in Okinawa, "permanent" would be two years, the standard Okinawa orders, and TAD would be for one "cycle" or about half a year. You go from Okinawa to countries like Korea, Thailand, and the Philippines, by way of boat.

Seeing as it's more of a "What unit you're with" more than "What MOS you are" (since I've seen pretty much all MOSs on a boat) it's pretty hard to answer that question. I do know there's a lot of aviation folks running around on the boat though.

Please note that my experience all comes from the 31st MEU, and out of the 7 MEUs it's the odd one out. I'm pretty sure all of the other ones go to Afghanistan for a good portion of the float. One of the MEUs from Lejeune is/was down in Haiti.

brian0351
03-05-10, 02:18 PM
Don't we still have Marines as a security force on carriers?

Old Marine
03-05-10, 04:35 PM
Is Sea School history these days? Do we not still have sea going Marines?

stretchusa
03-05-10, 05:37 PM
Negative and Negative. Security Forces may go on ship for a few months but they aren't stationed on then anymore.

Old Marine
03-05-10, 05:40 PM
The Navy will have to find another name for us. They used to call us Sea Going Bell Hops.

Zulu 36
03-05-10, 10:26 PM
Hey Marines!
Alright, here's the deal, i was wondering what MOS's would most likely land me on a Ship. I love the sea, and if I didnt want to be a Marine, I would definately join the Navy, but i want the Title, so Marines it is for me.

Have you ever been aboard a Navy ship? More to the point, the berthing compartments aboard a Navy ship? It isn't like a Carnival cruise ship. The closet on a cruise ship is bigger than your berthing space on a Gator Navy ship.

Lisa 23
03-05-10, 10:38 PM
Hey Marines!

First, you're only 15 years old. Take things one step at a time. You're to young yet to actually sit down with a recruiter, but you can request some info.
And second, I don't know if female Marines are allowed on ships these days.

Komenko
03-05-10, 11:14 PM
First, you're only 15 years old. Take things one step at a time. You're to young yet to actually sit down with a recruiter, but you can request some info.
And second, I don't know if female Marines are allowed on ships these days.

They are!

Lisa 23
03-05-10, 11:23 PM
They are!
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure on that one.

Komenko
03-05-10, 11:26 PM
OK, thanks. I wasn't sure on that one.

lol where have you been? Women have been allowed on ship for years, and just recently allowed to serve on subs!

Lisa 23
03-05-10, 11:36 PM
lol where have you been? Women have been allowed on ship for years, and just recently allowed to serve on subs!
LOL....last I knew when I was in, females weren't allowed on ships or subs. Obviously, I haven't kept up with some things...lol!
My, how things have changed.

brian0351
03-05-10, 11:49 PM
LOL....last I knew when I was in, females weren't allowed on ships or subs. Obviously, I haven't kept up with some things...lol!

Yeah, when I was on the Kearsarge in '97, that was its last cruise with an all male crew.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-10, 01:02 AM
If that's what you want, then go to the "0400" MOS, specifically "Embark". You'll do more ship time than squids.

HereandThere
03-06-10, 06:44 AM
The Navy will have to find another name for us. They used to call us Sea Going Bell Hops.

I haven't heard that term since my father used it.

HereandThere
03-06-10, 06:51 AM
Have you ever been aboard a Navy ship? More to the point, the berthing compartments aboard a Navy ship? It isn't like a Carnival cruise ship. The closet on a cruise ship is bigger than your berthing space on a Gator Navy ship.

LOL,you got that right.I'm sure the conditions are better today,but the LST I was on had canvas racks 4 high and I can't remember where we kept our gear.Prisoners in 3rd world hell holes have more room.

Supersquishy
03-06-10, 06:55 AM
:sick:

Now adays some hang out on the fantail for a little extra cash. :sick: J/k but it does happen, thats the good thing about NVG's.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-06-10, 05:45 PM
LOL. We had 'coffin' racks, unless you were lucky or senior enough to get the top rack, where you could store more of your gear on the lockers and spaces above.

"Sea going bell hop?!..The only Belle I hopped was your sister last night, squid~!"

ameriken
03-06-10, 06:32 PM
LOL,you got that right.I'm sure the conditions are better today,but the LST I was on had canvas racks 4 high and I can't remember where we kept our gear.Prisoners in 3rd world hell holes have more room.

Maybe this will rattle some memories. This was on the USS Alamo, LSD-33, back on a WestPac float in 1977. Oddly enough, I never slept better than I did on ship...the rocking back and forth of the ship on the ocean knocked me out like a baby.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2eyfhu0.jpg

HereandThere
03-06-10, 07:38 PM
Maybe this will rattle some memories. This was on the USS Alamo, LSD-33, back on a WestPac float in 1977. Oddly enough, I never slept better than I did on ship...the rocking back and forth of the ship on the ocean knocked me out like a baby.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2eyfhu0.jpg
I don't think we had Mattresses.The way I remember that ship is that you went down a gangway into a open bay that was filled with 4 high bunks.
I don't remember sleeping just being seasick for days during the rough seas from a typhoon.
The best memory I have is standing at the bow at night and watching the moon reflect off the water.Very relaxing to me.

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=319&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=317193

HereandThere
03-06-10, 07:57 PM
LOL. We had 'coffin' racks, unless you were lucky or senior enough to get the top rack, where you could store more of your gear on the lockers and spaces above.

"Sea going bell hop?!..The only Belle I hopped was your sister last night, squid~!"

LOL my father was a sea going bell hop( his words) on this ship.
Left France with 10 dollars and arrived in N.Y.C. with 3000.00 not from tips,from talking all the squids money playing poker.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/images/n10000/n13046.jpg