PDA

View Full Version : Going back to a place you just can't forget

Bruce59
03-04-10, 07:47 PM
So how many of you have taken that trip back in time, or want to but
haven't got their yet. It seems the me the older you get the urge becomes much stronger to see it one more time. I don't know why Marines have this urge, it's like before we left the place, there was something
inplanted in our brains to return. For me it was 40 years when I came back in 2000. Even though I new it wouldn't be the same as I remembered it,
it wasn't even close. I was in the 3rd bat. and we had quanset huts, and they were long gone,but the 1st and 2nd bats two story wooden barrack were also gone. Still im glad I made it back, the echos in my mind were so strong, my memories just became stronger.

Well I guess you know im talking about boot camp. So the question is have you gone back to PI or SD have you made that trip back in time?

Lisa 23
03-04-10, 08:07 PM
I did this past August to see my nephew graduate from 3rd BN. Myself, along with my brother, who's a retired Marine GySgt and former Drill Instructor, had a blast talking about our times at Parris Island. It was 40 years for my brother, and 21 years for me. Obviously, things changed a great deal since my brother was last there, but not much since I was there. 4th BN's PT area got a makeover, and they were in the process of building a new 3rd BN.
Being that my brother is a former Drill Instructor, he was a Hollywood Drill Instructor..lol, I had the HONOR and PRIVILEGE of having a tour along with him, of Drill Instructor School. The 1st Sgt doesn't usually give tours out, but made an exception for my brother. It's nice to know everything that Marines have to go through to become a Drill Instructor.
Anyway, for my brother and myself, it was the greatest feeling in the world those few days we were back at Parris Island. Ahhhh....the memories. You find yourself walking a bit taller, and the PRIDE of being a Marine more special than it was the day you graduated from boot camp.
I hope that some day I get the chance to go back again.

Danny C Smith
03-04-10, 08:22 PM
Bruce.
I think about it all the time.
The trip back to MCRD S.D. is going to happen sooner or later.
29 Palms is a must also. I actually miss that hell hole.
Just to visit mind you.:devious:
Camp Pendleton, I would love to visit San Onofrey.
Look up from the grinder and look at A3 one more time.
I would like to climb the Mother, without all the gear and the
Drill Instructors screaming MOVE!.
To drive a real Hummer one more time.
Yep:flag:

Smitty:usmc:

Marine84
03-04-10, 08:25 PM
Been back several times AND got laid once! First time was 20 year anniversary and when I rode through the front gate, things started coming back to me. When I saw a few platoons drilling, you could really tell who had just started training and who was close to getting the Title.

Bruce59
03-04-10, 08:28 PM
I was in boot in 1959, was just about the last in the quanset huts in 3rd BN.
The new brick barrack were just about finshed. And now you say there
building new ones? Holy Cow.

Old Marine
03-04-10, 08:40 PM
Return most every year for the West Coast D.I. Association Reunion.

jinelson
03-04-10, 09:10 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/MCRDSD1960s.jpg

I have returned to MCRD San Diego several times for graduations and each time relived my own. It may seem strange to some but I still lock up when spoken to by a Drill Instructor its got to be that dang smokey. What really gets to me is they call me sir now. I added the photo above for the salts I hope you enjoy it as it will take you back to our day on the grinder.

Jim

sfthog
03-04-10, 09:19 PM
Went back for the first time since '88.My profile pic is at 3rd bat. It was weird being older than most of the di's.

RLE0352
03-04-10, 09:29 PM
I was back at MCRD San Diego about 15 months after I graduated and attended the graduation of a friend. I really didn't appreciate how special it was.

25 years after that, my wife and I were in San Diego on vacation. We toured the museum and attended Delta Company's graduation. The ceremony has changed a little, but still impressive as ever!

Like Jim, I still stood at attention when speaking to Drill Instructors, but the highlight of the whole trip was a Sergeant I met before graduation. The museum gift shop was out of 1st Battalion challenge coins so I got in line to buy one near the bleachers.

The brim of his campaign cover raised just enough that he could look me in the eye and say "thank you for your service, sir." :marine:

Bruce59
03-04-10, 09:41 PM
Hey Jim, I was in S.D. for one night in 1961. We just came back from Okinawa and stayed there that one night and got our orders and travel
money and leave. as I look at the pic you have it seems we came on base back in the right hand corner by the quanset huts. we stayed in the last couple of huts. I seem to see a road in the picture. But I guess it has all changed.

Old Marine
03-04-10, 09:50 PM
Hey Jim:

That picture looks vintage 1950/1960.

Bruce59:

Those Huts you stayed in were part of 2dBn., Hotel Company during 1966-1973 when I did my time on the field.

semperfiman
03-04-10, 10:08 PM
went back to P I this past june with 12 other Marines by train had a great time 2nd time around we were treated like royalty there were Marines from WW2 to present on the trip

Izzame2
03-05-10, 04:18 AM
I went back to MCRD San Diego once after graduating in 1977.I took my brother who was in the Navy on a tour the following year.
At the time in 1977 I stayed at the new barracks but, they still had some quonset huts and were still running recruit platoons through them.I never knew who stayed at the huts,I always thought it was possibly recruits from the CCP (correctional custody platoon) or PCP (physical conditioning platoon or otherwise known as the fat bodies).I can just imagine how miserably hot those huts were though during the summer.You not only had the heat coming off the grinder but also off the steel of the hut itself.It must have been like being in an oven.

WMDevilDog84
03-06-10, 04:24 PM
I went back this past year - to THE DAY next week as part of the 1st MCD "Educators Workhop" and it was an awesome 4 days. I was a bit dissappointed that we didn't spend hardl any time at/around 4th BTN, and there was no female series graduating when I was there, but just like WMARINE said -- what a change! The parade deck seems bigger, maybe cuz I wasn't standing on it! And Leatherneck Square relocated/updated, but other than that - the bus coming through that front gate had shivers going up miy spine and I will never forget those fleeting seconds when I first stood on those yellow footprints! Seemed like just the day before - when it was actually 26 years ago! Now I am older, with a teen in college, separated and wondering I could turn back the clock & time itself and go RIGHT BACK to that very moment I experienced the yellow footprints. It was so surreal last March in revisiting a place that made me who I am.

WMDevilDog84
03-06-10, 04:25 PM
Awesome post WMARINE, ! You (An Gunny) gotta tell me more and we'll compare thoughts!

Rocky C
03-06-10, 04:29 PM
I think about it all the time listening to these New Marines on the Forum.
Someday, and Someday Soon!!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Rocky C
03-06-10, 04:32 PM
Awesome post WMARINE, ! You (An Gunny) gotta tell me more and we'll compare thoughts!

Lisa took some Great pictures when she went to P.I. and they are posted on a Thread here.
I'll see if I can find the Thread for you.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Skosh59
03-06-10, 05:09 PM
It will be 51 years on March 9 since I steped on those yellow footprints. I am planning for possibly this summer to visit PI and Camp Lejeune. I know that it won't be the same but something keep drawing me there....... :marine:

I guess I better get my butt in gear befor I get my final orders. :scared:

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 05:15 PM
You got it (Patrick...lol)! :thumbup:

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 05:24 PM
Lisa took some Great pictures when she went to P.I. and they are posted on a Thread here.
I'll see if I can find the Thread for you.

Semper Fi,
Rocky
I found the thread Rocky....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92068&page=4

Rocky C
03-06-10, 05:33 PM
I found the thread Rocky....
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92068&page=4

Lisa, I've been looking for over an hour!!!:thumbup::(.
Those were Great Pictures you took!!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 05:38 PM
Lisa, I've been looking for over an hour!!!:thumbup::(.
Those were Great Pictures you took!!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Sorry that it took an hour of your time Rocky.
And thanks! :thumbup: I like to look at those pics from time to time.

Rocky C
03-06-10, 05:43 PM
Sorry that it took an hour of your time Rocky.
And thanks! :thumbup: I like to look at those pics from time to time.

Me too and now I'll remember the Thread :thumbup:.
I think ??? :!:

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 05:50 PM
Rocky, you may have to add that thread to your favorites...lol. That way, you'll never forget! :D

Bruce59
03-06-10, 06:15 PM
When I was there in 2000 we had a great group of Marines that came with us. In all there were 20 of us, Marines from WW2. One Marine who had just
over a year in the Corps, and would end up in the bigest battle of the Iraq
war. A Iwo Jima Marine who was a tanker and covered the assalt up Mt.
Surabachi, and saw the flag go up through his gun site. And a Vietnam
MOH winner Mike Clausen Jr. The only thing we didn't get to see was a Graduation, I was really looking forward that.

ggyoung
03-06-10, 06:47 PM
Been back several times AND got laid once! First time was 20 year anniversary and when I rode through the front gate, things started coming back to me. When I saw a few platoons drilling, you could really tell who had just started training and who was close to getting the Title.

Good for you 84. You sound just like a male Marine. I can't beleve nobody picked up on that.

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 06:49 PM
Good for you 84. You sound just like a male Marine. I can't beleve nobody picked up on that.
Ahhh, unless you're just joking around, Marine84 isn't no male Marine. You might want to check Marine84's profile out.

ggyoung
03-06-10, 06:57 PM
I checked 84's profile long before you started posting and what I saw I liked. You have a very good profile too.

Zulu 36
03-06-10, 06:58 PM
I'd like to go back and visit every place I served in Corps, including Vietnam. Finances, however....

I might road trip to Camp Lejuene during Summer 2011 after #2 graduates from HS and #1 is back in the States so she can come too. They can drive. Stop at the Museum of the Marine Corps going up, I think. That way they'll understand more of what is happening at Lejuene and why. :D

Didn't do boot camp at PI, but might visit anyway. I did visit it in 1973 when I was a Corporal. Different feeling though when you're an NCO and a Vietnam vet. People at a recruit depot treat you much differently then for some reason. :confused:

I'd also like to visit Saipan, where my father fought. That's always been a bit of a dream since I was a kid. Again, finances...

I'm trying to get a hold of my brother in Lake Tahoe. Evidently he has all of my father's old pictures from WWII. I'd like to get them and digitize them.

If I get the photos and digitize them, I'll post some.

WMDevilDog84
03-06-10, 07:52 PM
Ahhh, unless you're just joking around, Marine84 isn't no male Marine. You might want to check Marine84's profile out.

WOW, why is it I am alway considered a guy! My mom told me this would happen if I joined the Corps! (LOL!):sick:

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 07:54 PM
WOW, why is it I am alway considered a guy! My mom told me this would happen if I joined the Corps! (LOL!):sick:
That's Marine84 (Kim) we are talking about, not you.

WMDevilDog84
03-06-10, 08:08 PM
Yea, well - I had to start reading top 2 bottom to see that -- my reg email said I had a response to a post "I" made. Just asumed twas' me! All's well!

Lisa 23
03-06-10, 08:10 PM
WMDevilDog84, you look at those pics yet? And that's not all of them, just a few.

HereandThere
03-06-10, 09:55 PM
On the way back from Florida in 1997-98 I got off of I-95 and drove over to Beaufort MCAS,thinking I would drive around and see whats new and old that I remember.
They wouldn't let me in.