PDA

View Full Version : Can USMC do MX?

ds11
03-04-10, 01:20 PM
Hello Marines!:flag:

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to read this, up front. I searched all over this site and couldn't find anything on it. Here's the deal, years ago in my late teens I used to ride motocross. One of my biggest regrets was giving that up for wasting my money on modifying cars and accruing points on my record. I talked to my brother who is a 2nd Lt. and he also was big into motocross as well as streetbikes, (living in California for several years before he went to OCS) I spoke with him about it and he hinted that getting injured would basically mean, "bye bye Marine Corps" I also ran it by my recruiter and he said that there was some sort of program or club that involved ATV/Motocross and even Motorcycle clubs for Marines. I've searched but have only come up with local Motorcycle clubs around the U.S. I will be active duty, AG field MOS. I would do anything to get back on a dirtbike again. I miss it greatly. Does anybody have any information on allowing me to get back on my bike for some mild riding while in the Marine Corps?

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/eatnsammiches/kxmx.jpg

1stRad2671
03-04-10, 05:34 PM
The only thing to stop you from riding is a lack of a place to ride.

Rocky C
03-04-10, 05:38 PM
The only thing to stop you from riding is a lack of a place to ride.

EXACTLEY :thumbup:

Old Marine
03-04-10, 06:12 PM
Mild riding on a MX Bike, you can't be serious. When I was on active duty I raced my Kart, which would run 110 with the right gearing on it, but I never thought about a mild ride in a race. When and if you get in the Corps, remember that you become Government Property and if you injure yourself riding your bike mildey your command will not appreciate it.

brian0351
03-05-10, 12:11 AM
You would have to check with your command. I know that skydiving was generally prohibited because it could cause "Grave personal injury". MX has the same capability of injury...so...ask.

ds11
03-05-10, 07:22 AM
Thanks alot for the replies so far Marines. It seems to be a bit of a balancing act because I know I definitely want to buy another bike. I don't know exactly how my MOS school will be down in Pensacola. Of course I would need a truck but I'm not sure where I would keep the bike. I might as well just wait until I get out of my MOS school. It may not be as complicated then. Once I'm in I will pursue it further.

polizei
03-05-10, 08:00 AM
You wouldn't be able to have it at MOS school anyway, nor a vehicle. The only exception that I've heard of is if your MOS school is like a year and a half long.

hussaf
03-05-10, 08:08 AM
Right, wait till after MOS school and you get to your first unit. There should be plenty of places to ride a dirt bike on base in NC, let alone places off base. They are pretty stringent about rules for bike/ATV riding so make sure you follow them. Being govt. property they can remove your riding privileges on a whim. I am sure there are places to ride in Pendleton or Oki as well.

ds11
03-05-10, 08:43 AM
For some odd reason I always thought it was a "don't need" instead of a "not allowed" thing for vehicles during MOS school. Good thing that's cleared up. Looks like I'm just going to have to be patient.

Old Marine
03-05-10, 09:39 AM
For some odd reason I always thought it was a "don't need" instead of a "not allowed" thing for vehicles during MOS school. Good thing that's cleared up. Looks like I'm just going to have to be patient.

BINGO........:evilgrin:

hussaf
03-05-10, 10:37 AM
There are one or two schools you can go to that allow vics...like someone else said, if its over a year they sometimes allow it. Also, if you are an NCO they might allow it (Lat-move and such), but 99% of the time its like the first two years in college...no car. You probably won't even be allowed to have off-base libo for the first week or two of your school, depending on what it is.