PDA

View Full Version : Question about my job

JR189
03-04-10, 10:24 AM
Hello Marines
I have a question about my job, im 20 years old and work as a janitor in a high school( yea I know funny). These past 8 months ive been thinking of joining the Marines, and I plan on speaking with a recruiter. The question im asking is if I decide to enlist can my job fire me? Or do they have to keep my job, its a steady paycheck. Im looking to go active, is this possible? Anything would be great Thank You for your time Marines

tdrt
03-04-10, 10:27 AM
If you go active, why would you need your janitorial job? Being a Marine is a full-time job.

However, if you go Reserve, then yes, I believe they have keep your position available but I could be wrong.

JR189
03-04-10, 10:31 AM
Im thinking about quitting anyway, I only asked that beacause i wanted to know if they can take me back after service (im not trying to get ahead of myself)

BR34
03-04-10, 10:36 AM
Im thinking about quitting anyway, I only asked that beacause i wanted to know if they can take me back after service (im not trying to get ahead of myself)

You mean you're going to quit your job, join the Marine Corps, serve four years, then go right back to the same job?

tdrt
03-04-10, 10:40 AM
I agree with BR34. Why would you ever want to go back to being a janitor after being a Marine? You have no idea of the opportunities that will be available to you after you serve whether it's 4 years or 20 years. Why are you limiting yourself?

sully0331
03-04-10, 10:40 AM
How bout this crazy idea...YOU GO TO COLLEGE AFTER WITH YOUR F*CKING GI BILL MONEY AND THEN NOT HAVE TO CLEAN UP P*SS THE REST OF YOUR LIFE...DAMNNNNN

tdrt
03-04-10, 10:41 AM
How bout this crazy idea...YOU GO TO COLLEGE AFTER WITH YOUR F*CKING GI BILL MONEY AND THEN NOT HAVE TO CLEAN UP **** THE REST OF YOUR LIFE...DAMNNNNN

That about says it!

JR189
03-04-10, 10:44 AM
I dont plan on being a janitor for the rest of my life, but when i were to come back it would be nice to know i have something waiting to help support myself. Tho id like to make a life out of the Marines, tho i cant predict 4 years from now

sully0331
03-04-10, 10:47 AM
Everyone says they want to do it for life until you get lifed out daily...be sh*t hot or stay home

BR34
03-04-10, 10:50 AM
I dont plan on being a janitor for the rest of my life, but when i were to come back it would be nice to know i have something waiting to help support myself. Tho id like to make a life out of the Marines, tho i cant predict 4 years from now

They aren't required to hold your job for 4 years.

What do you think they're going to do, wait on you to come back and in the mean time just have a filthy school?

tdrt
03-04-10, 10:51 AM

I know we would all like to know what the future holds for us in 4 years, but stop being a control freak. I will guarantee you that in 4 years, life will take you somewhere you could never possibly imagine now.

polizei
03-04-10, 11:08 AM
Per federal law, your employer has to keep your job for 4 years, but it's not going to matter if you go active, because you won't be doing that when you get off AD, I guarantee that. And I know this because I've signed the paper work...I'm currently employed, and have been my whole time through training. I haven't worked there in over a year, yet I'm still employed. I'm just looking for a different job, which is why I'm not actively working with them at this moment.

BR34
03-04-10, 11:16 AM
Per federal law, your employer has to keep your job for 4 years, but it's not going to matter if you go active, because you won't be doing that when you get off AD, I guarantee that. And I know this because I've signed the paper work...I'm currently employed, and have been my whole time through training. I haven't worked there in over a year, yet I'm still employed. I'm just looking for a different job, which is why I'm not actively working with them at this moment.

That's only for reservists though, right?

Lisa 23
03-04-10, 11:18 AM
You're only 20 years old and what you do with your life in the Marine Corps is totally up to you. You can make it a great time and be a career Marine, or you can like it just enough to get out after your first enlistment.
Like the other Marines have said, if you do get out after your first enlistment, you'll have many other opportunities available to you to better yourself. Don't just settle for the first thing that comes along or go back to a dead end job.

Good luck to you! :thumbup:

BR34
03-04-10, 11:20 AM
Just found the actual law.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/guide/userra.htm

According to that as long as he meets the criteria outlined and do no more than 5 years AD he's entitled to his janitorial gig after leaving service. Who knew...

polizei
03-04-10, 11:22 AM
I was going to say not really sure if it's just reserve or not. Good find BR.

Lisa 23
03-04-10, 11:23 AM
I was just going to post that info BR34....:thumbup:

FattyTheFerret
03-04-10, 12:27 PM
At least he'll be well prepared for field day and police calling.

In all seriousness, listen to the Marines telling you to use your educational benefits. After you serve, go to school on Uncle Sam's dime and make a much better life for yourself than you would as a janitor. I'm not harping on the job; no disrespect intended for those who clean for a living but military service will open up many, many possibilities for you. This job will be the furthest from your mind, let it go to someone else that doesn't have the opportunities you will.

Good luck to you.

BR34
03-04-10, 12:57 PM
Actually, he should start using those educational benefits WHILE he's still on AD. He could be close to a degree when he hits his EAS.

polizei
03-04-10, 01:34 PM
Plus, no matter where you go, I'll assure you that you'll still be able to use your janitor skills, at least until your a Cpl.

Wheels123
03-04-10, 03:09 PM
Plus, no matter where you go, I'll assure you that you'll still be able to use your janitor skills, at least until your a Cpl.

:thumbup:

FattyTheFerret
03-04-10, 05:39 PM
Perfect For Cleaning!

TinDragon
03-05-10, 06:55 AM
It's actually not a bad idea though, that way he'll have a job to go to right away while he's busy job/college hunting after he gets off AD.

I dunno, maybe I don't realize how fast you can get a job after you get out seeing as I'm still in, but it just seems like a good idea to have something ready as a temporary job.

sully0331
03-05-10, 07:50 AM
BR very good point however if he goes grunts he will have no time for college until he discharges.

polizei
03-05-10, 08:02 AM
It IS a good idea, Tin. I've been looking for a job since September and can't find anything within my scope yet. And I'm just looking for an entry-level job in a specific field. And I have a lot of credentials. The economy is just horrible right now!

JR189
03-05-10, 11:20 AM
Thank You Marines very much for your posts, you have all painted a bigger picture that I did not see. I am gonna contact a recruiter, again Thank You