PDA

View Full Version : Questions about switching from AD to Reserves while in DEP

SidiousX
03-03-10, 09:52 PM
Hello and thank all of you Marines for your service. I just have a few questions. Now I have searched and searched and found a bunch of threads about this type of thing, and found out that you CAN switch while in DEP, but I haven't seen anything about my questions( I could be wrong though...). I heard that there is no DEP for the reserves (which is what I'm kind of confused about, because there are a few poolees I know that are going into reserves). Is that true? I also wanted to know if going into the reserves would it make my ship date sooner/later? And is it hard to switch from AD to reserves while in DEP?
Thanks to all of you.

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 10:02 PM
The DEP is for everyone. There's no separate DEP for active duty or reserves...it's all together.

The Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP)
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

codeman92190
03-04-10, 07:12 PM
NOTHING about the DEP program is contractual. Yes, you signed a contract to get into it. That contract was non binding. Depending on what kind of recruiter you have, he may or may not admit it, but you are at liberty to request any changes you want - MOS, ship date, duty status.

NOW, depending on what you request, he may or may not be able to/willing to get it for you. He has slots to fill, and if he moves you, it means more work for him to replace the spot you previously filled.

If you want it, tell him. If he can get it for you, fantastic. If he can't, and you're ok with that, fine.

If he can't, and you're NOT ok with it... don't join the Marine Corps...

SidiousX
03-04-10, 07:45 PM
I have been thinking about it, and I think I'm just going to do AD. Thanks alot for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Lisa 23
03-04-10, 07:49 PM
How about thanks Marines, not thanks guys.