PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to ITB

GDean
03-03-10, 08:44 AM
Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061. Next step for me is ITB on March 9. I know to bring everything I was issued and my orders but I was wondering how much civilian clothing to bring. I had heard that every now and then I would be granted weekend liberty. Any thing else that would be helpful to have? Thanks again Marines

jrhd97
03-03-10, 08:48 AM
Congrats Marine! Now change that signature.
Been a while since I was there. Many Marines have there cell phones. They frown on laptops, net books or what ever else they are called.
You really won't have a need for a lot of civilian clothes. A couple changes.

polizei
03-03-10, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't bring much...maybe a few pairs of clothing, underwear, etc. and a pair of shoes. Yea it gets boring wearing the same thing every time, but believe me it's better than taking a ton of crap with you.

BR34
03-03-10, 08:52 AM
Absolutely. There is no fun in the sea bag drag. The less you bring the easier your life will be.

It's not like boot camp where you have family/friends to help you haul all your stuff to the car.

BTW, Congrats!

Hanzo
03-03-10, 09:09 AM
I would bring only one pair of civvies. You might not even get libo (chances are that you will) and chances are that nobody is going to notice you wore the same thing each weekend. If you feel like you REALLY need more, fine, there are plenty of places to shop once you get there.

I would recommend dressing a little bit nicer than jeans and tshirt too. You never know what you're going to get into, and its good to be prepared. A pair of khakis and a shirt with a collar will be fine. Get some non-tennis shoes and you're set.

I would take a cell phone but that will be used primarily when out in town. During evening libo you can call home, but unless things have changed, you can't get s*** for a cell signal in the 52 area. (SOI) There are phones there on base to use. I used a phone card so I didn't have to keep dumping quarters into it, but its your call.

Other than that, I wouldn't take anything. Most of your time will be spent training. Anything you find that you really want once you get there can be easily purchased either on base or in town.

polizei
03-03-10, 10:54 AM
Oh, another suggestion I just remembered....I would HIGHLY recommend new boots when you get there, if you don't like the ones you have. When I was done with MCT, I purchased the Bates Lites, and they are fantastic boots, especially if you are humping or running. I paid $113 for them a little less than a year ago. I WISH I would have bought them before MCT, and used them during.

Hanzo
03-03-10, 10:56 AM
Oh, another suggestion I just remembered....I would HIGHLY recommend new boots when you get there, if you don't like the ones you have. When I was done with MCT, I purchased the Bates Lites, and they are fantastic boots, especially if you are humping or running. I paid $113 for them a little less than a year ago. I WISH I would have bought them before MCT, and used them during.

If you're going to do that though, I would highly recommend doing it ASAP to try to get them broken in before you're doing a 15 mile hump in new boots.

polizei
03-03-10, 10:59 AM
Very true, but the Bates Lites I'm talking about don't really need to be broken in. Now, my Danners on the other hand...yea, I can't imagine doing a hump in those (not broken in). You should be fine if you get the Bates Lites though...I would run a mile or so in them.

Hanzo
03-03-10, 11:06 AM
Very true, but the Bates Lites I'm talking about don't really need to be broken in. Now, my Danners on the other hand...yea, I can't imagine doing a hump in those (not broken in). You should be fine if you get the Bates Lites though...I would run a mile or so in them.

They had those at cash sales and I lusted after them, but at that point I was in MRP and didn't want to spend money on something I didn't know if I'd get to use.

Now, after being reassigned to the 2nd CivDiv, I'm still thinking about getting a pair for camping and whatnot. I'm assuming there is no insulation, and therefore would be a summer boot. Any idea if they make it without the Eagle Globe and Anchor for us nasty civilians? I was also looking at the Danner Desert Acadias and Lowa.

polizei
03-03-10, 11:12 AM
You can still get them if your out of service, you're still a Marine. I've found them online before....but I think they were ~$140 or so in the civilian market. And yes, they are a summer boot with no insulation, no steel toe/shank. They are extremely lite (about the same as a regular gym shoe), and fantastic boot. But because of the material used, the soles do wear down faster than another boot with a hard sole, but it's not really that fast at all.

And you can use them in the colder climates as well, I just wouldn't use them if it's extremely cold. Get a pair of the insulated, padded boot socks. I forget who makes them, but every base sells them...starts with a "T" I think. They are around $14 a pair though, but WELL worth it, trust me.

Try the Navy Exchange, etc. if all else fails, just try googling.

Semper Fi

Hanzo
03-03-10, 11:16 AM
You can still get them if your out of service, you're still a Marine. I've found them online before....but I think they were ~$140 or so in the civilian market. And yes, they are a summer boot with no insulation, no steel toe/shank. They are extremely lite (about the same as a regular gym shoe), and fantastic boot. But because of the material used, the soles do wear down faster than another boot with a hard sole, but it's not really that fast at all.

And you can use them in the colder climates as well, I just wouldn't use them if it's extremely cold. Get a pair of the insulated, padded boot socks. I forget who makes them, but every base sells them...starts with a "T" I think. They are around $14 a pair though, but WELL worth it, trust me.

Try the Navy Exchange, etc. if all else fails, just try googling.

Semper Fi

I THINK the socks you're talking about are Thorlos, I've got some Smartwool ones too, but my feet tend to get cold real easy. Even in my gortex boots with the thicker boot socks on, if its near freezing and I'm outside for any amount of time, my little piggies get cold. The reason I was asking about the non EGA version is that technically, its considered wearing a uniform item out of uniform which is a no-go. I don't think anyone would ever say anything, but if they offer both, I'll get them without. Thanks for the info.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 11:20 AM
Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061.

Congrats Marine!!!

Semper Fi,
Rocky:flag:

spotts
03-03-10, 12:36 PM
I found it helpful in SOI to have a Leatherman Tool with me. It can come in handy.

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 12:44 PM
Good Afternoon Marines, Just graduated Boot Camp at MCRD SD on Feb 26. 1st Bn, Delta Co. Plt. 1061. Next step for me is ITB on March 9. I know to bring everything I was issued and my orders but I was wondering how much civilian clothing to bring. I had heard that every now and then I would be granted weekend liberty. Any thing else that would be helpful to have? Thanks again Marines

Welcome to the Marine Corps family and CONGRATS on EARNING the title....
United States Marine! :usmc:

Semper Fi! :flag:

GDean
03-04-10, 09:52 PM
Thank you for all your replies Marines. My plan is to buy some Bates Lights when I get situated at SOI. My Drill Instructor was raving about how comfortable they were. During ITB do you wear your jungle boots, or are you pretty much always in combats. A Drill Instructor swapped out his old jungles for my freshly issued ones early on in first phase so the tread on mine is pretty much non existant.

polizei
03-04-10, 10:25 PM
Ha, you got shafted by your DI? That's harsh. I got brand new jungles and brand new danners (the $280 ones, I got lucky) in boot. Jungles suck though, I hate them...Bates Lites are SO much better. I highly recommend them.

fs19
03-04-10, 10:37 PM
You can wear whatever USMC issued boots you want to in ITB. Bates Lights are great for garrison and running, but will not stand up to harsh use. For hikes, Danners are the best the Marine Corps offers but in reality Marine Corps issued boots do not stand up to extremely harsh use.

OP-Your signature says you have a UZ contract, if you're still planning on going to BRC send me a PM.

crazymjb
03-05-10, 03:41 PM
I'd bring a couple pairs of civis a cell phone, and a laptop if you enjoy using the internet. There is a horrific wait for computers on the weekend at the rec center but they have free wifi. Also, we had a kid who had a 3G modem in his computer so he surfed the web every night after the MOS split. If you are going 11 the whole way you may not want to bother, unless you want to chill on your computer in the rec center on the weekends.

If you really want more clothes you can buy them when you are there. I remember how after our first weekend everyone looked like an abercrombie model from that point forward. I just kept washing my same 2 polos and pairs of cargo shorts throughout my time there.

The other thing I would highly recommend is SAVE YOUR MONEY. I am a reservist and have about twice as much cash in the bank FROM THE MARINE CORPS as my friends who I left for boot with almost 2 years ago who are active duty. Sure they have a lot of cool ****, on their 3rd and 4th cell phone upgrade, etc. Don't go blowing money on stupid crap. Just because you make it doesn't mean you shouldn't save it. You can come out of the Marine Corps with a great head start or you can come out broke, the trending starts in SOI. For example, 600 dollar wardrobe every 2 months isn't worth it, even for my girlfriend. 2000 dollars worth of lap dances in one night, also not worth it.

Good luck, and have fun. If you don't have instructors who wish they are DI's (I was in Alpha and mine were really good) SOI is a really good time.

Mike

Hanzo
03-05-10, 03:47 PM
2000 dollars worth of lap dances in one night, also not worth it.

This is NOT an exaggeration. I can't tell you how many times I had Marines asking to borrow a dollar for a soda monday after payday. When asked what happened to their paycheck, it had all gone to Trixie "who's really in love with me".

crazymjb
03-07-10, 08:55 PM
Yea, never thought having a girlfriend would SAVE me money... guess I shouldn't go that far. However, just because you have no immediate need for the "large" (well compared to what a lot of these right out of high school kids used to make) amount of money being deposited into your bank, doesn't mean you should blow it all. I mean, I'll say this, poolees will read it, and they won't listen, and will go ahead and burn all their money. YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE MARINE CORPS AFTER 4 YEARS WITH CLOSE TO 100K AND YOUR EDUCATION ALMOST COMPLETE. You can get out, finish school while making money off the GI bill, get a job, and have your down payment for a house ready. at 23, 24, 25 you can be so far ahead of the game it's not even funny.

I KNOW a lot of you won't listen, because I told all my friends this at SOI and I don't think any did. YOU DON'T NEED a new pair of oaklies bi-monthly. You don't need an Iphone with a 60 dollar a month data plan. I FLIPPED out on my girlfriend when she spent 300 dollars on a phone and 150 on phone insurance when she was at FLW. And when she came home... I dropped that thing off a roller-coaster and it was never seen again.

I don't mean to come off as harsh or anything, but really guys this is such a great opportunity DO NOT throw it away. As a reservist, after my deployment, when I am done with school, I expect to have 50K from the Marine Corps put away. All these guys in my unit come back and buy brand new cars. Then they live with their parents... Sure a few are hard working and good with money but this is so sad. AHHH

End rant

Mike

stein07
03-08-10, 06:25 PM
I FLIPPED out on my girlfriend when she spent 300 dollars on a phone and 150 on phone insurance when she was at FLW. And when she came home... I dropped that thing off a roller-coaster and it was never seen again.

Good thing she got the insurance ;)

crazymjb
03-08-10, 07:35 PM
Yea, she got a new one in the mail and I convinced her to sell it on ebay and just get something on craigslist... and now she's just as happy as ever. Go figure. I still can't get her to lay off the clothes (she practically owns the entire Express chain) but at least she bargain hunts.

Mike