PDA

View Full Version : I am torn between the army and the marines, I can't decide which.

cxerphax
03-02-10, 11:59 PM
I really want to be on the front lines and fight for my country, I am not afraid of dying. The way I see it is if I die I have nothing to ever worry about. Now the reason I can't decide which I want to do is because I want to have a special job, such as Rangers, or Recon. I respect the Marine corps much more than the army but it seems that if I can't make the recon screening right from the start then I'm screwed and will never get another chance. Army on the other hand let's their people work up to where they want to go, like ranger training. Is what I'm saying true? This is from some research I've been doing. I'm very concerned about passing recon screening because I am not a strong swimmer. My ultimate goal is to be a PJ for the USAF and I heard these professions would help me get there and give me a taste of what I am in for.

cxerphax
03-03-10, 12:02 AM
I also forgot to mention another reason I want these professions is because I absolutely want to be jumping out of aircraft.

Komenko
03-03-10, 12:07 AM
lmao best bet is to join the Chair Force! it will take years for you to get to Ranger school. their drop out rate during the 2 week indoc is like 85 to 90%. Recon isn't much different but might me lighter on the mental load!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 12:11 AM
1: Fill out a profile

2: "Absolutely" join the Army, since they are the only ones who will "absolutely" guarantee you the ability to fall from a perfectly good working aircraft.

3: Style Point: It's "Marine Corps". Caps, please.

4: Every Marine is special. We are an Elite Corps of Fighting Marines. Period. Unlike the army, we don't wear special little dingle badges, patches, doodads and such to show how 'special' we are. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor does that quite nicely, thank you.

5: If your 'ultimate' goal is to be a PJ, then enlist into the Air Force now and avoid the middleman. They do have PJ contracts. Talk to a recruiter.

cxerphax
03-03-10, 01:17 AM
So army is the way to go huh? Allright then thankyou for your opinions. By the way ranger dropout is 60% not 90%. also there is program called Rip which test you for Ranger school. After completion of that you go to airborne and then off to Ranger school. It could take 2 years, 90% of the time it doesn't. Also I agree that every Marine is special however Rangers and Recon are on a whole other calibre of specialness. Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp. I thought that Recon jumps because they go to airborne school. According to the last poster thats not the case. Oh well then.

Quinbo
03-03-10, 01:32 AM
Ranger school has about a hundred seats a year for Marines. The Marines that graduate the school don't get a silly french hat or a tab to sew on their cammies. They don't need it. You want medals and gadgets to wear then join the Army. They hand them out at the chow hall.

Ranger school is under a lot of pressure to graduate their students. Something goes wrong the student is recycled not dropped.

There are a handful of MC schools that the attrition rate recieves no scrutiny. Basically there is no pressure to graduate anybody. You don't cut the mustard you go home end of story. Ranger school does not have that philosophy... they graduate as many people as possible.

Komenko
03-03-10, 01:39 AM
So army is the way to go huh? Allright then thankyou for your opinions. By the way ranger dropout is 60% not 90%. also there is program called Rip which test you for Ranger school. After completion of that you go to airborne and then off to Ranger school. It could take 2 years, 90% of the time it doesn't. Also I agree that every Marine is special however Rangers and Recon are on a whole other calibre of specialness. Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp. I thought that Recon jumps because they go to airborne school. According to the last poster thats not the case. Oh well then.

either way its still a high drop out rate, whether its 50%, 70% or 90% for indoc! for the school its self its 50% drop out. btw once you complete the school you are ranger qualified. Those who wear the scroll, don the tan beret and serve in a Ranger Battalion are Rangers. bet you knew that already! lol

cxerphax
03-03-10, 01:40 AM
Ranger school has about a hundred seats a year for Marines. The Marines that graduate the school don't get a silly french hat or a tab to sew on their cammies. They don't need it. You want medals and gadgets to wear then join the Army. They hand them out at the chow hall.

Ranger school is under a lot of pressure to graduate their students. Something goes wrong the student is recycled not dropped.

There are a handful of MC schools that the attrition rate recieves no scrutiny. Basically there is no pressure to graduate anybody. You don't cut the mustard you go home end of story. Ranger school does not have that philosophy... they graduate as many people as possible.
No, you can only be recycled if you did not commit any critical errors. That is pretty fair I think. They are not being pressured to graduate specs ops men, why would they have to do that? Where are you getting your information?

Quinbo
03-03-10, 01:53 AM
Good friend of mine is an instructor at Benning. Where are you getting your information?

cxerphax
03-03-10, 02:01 AM
Good friend of mine is an instructor at Benning. Where are you getting your information?. Well on YouTube the a lot of the school was caught on video. It is a 9 part series. Every detail about the school is shown. That is where I'm getting my info lol.

Quinbo
03-03-10, 02:50 AM
I found that youtube video you are talking about. Very interesting and informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astISOttCQ0

Quinbo
03-03-10, 02:59 AM
Here is part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd12hR68sWM&feature=related

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 03:48 AM
Why would they have to do that, you ask? Start with normal attrition rates in the Battalions, for one.

Recon Marines DO get allocated slots at Airborne school...BUT you are taking a huge 'leap of faith' that you would pass RIP (because yes, Recon has RIP as well), ARS, and then, finally, Airborne school. It is NOT a guarantee.

If you want to compare 'Ranger' to 'Marine Corps Infantry', this isn't the place. FYI, as a long time collector of militaria, I believe I'm far more qualified than you to decide what to call a 'doodad' and 'bauble' that is handed out for just 'being there'. Perhaps an example will educate you. Army uniform regulations state that if you, the young Private cxerphax, check into the 1st Ranger Battalion, you are entitled to wear, upon arrival, ALL the unit awards that Battalion has earned throughout it's career, despite the fact that you have done exactly ZERO to earn them. That's numerous Presidential Unit Citations, Valorous Unit Awards, and a JMUC. "Presto, your a hero".

Furthermore, you'll be issued the standard Shoulder Sleeve insignia, in the shape of a scroll, signifying your unit affiliation. This scroll states "1st Ranger Battalion". Everyone in the Bn wears it, Ranger qualified or NOT. (Ranger Qual is designated by a scroll stating simply 'RANGER'). Cooks, bakers, truck drivers, and clerks. Those same clerks, cooks, and truck drivers ALSO wear the PUC, JMUC, VUA, etc etc.

That doesn't count the Distinctive Unit Insignia, Unit Crests, Special Beret (tan) and Shoulder Cord, all to identify that you are 'special'. Also all given out, upon 'check in' (The blue shoulder cord you get when you graduate Army Infantry training). OH, and let's not forget the 'green combat leadership tab' identifiers worn by all Army NCO's now as well.

Baubles, geegaws, and doodads, indeed.

Unlike the Marine Corps, where if you see one of OUR signature blocks, you can be sure that Marine EARNED every single one of those awards.

HereandThere
03-03-10, 04:47 AM
1: Fill out a profile

2: "Absolutely" join the Army, since they are the only ones who will "absolutely" guarantee you the ability to fall from a perfectly good working aircraft.

3: Style Point: It's "Marine Corps". Caps, please.

4: Every Marine is special. We are an Elite Corps of Fighting Marines. Period. Unlike the army, we don't wear special little dingle badges, patches, doodads and such to show how 'special' we are. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor does that quite nicely, thank you.

5: If your 'ultimate' goal is to be a PJ, then enlist into the Air Force now and avoid the middleman. They do have PJ contracts. Talk to a recruiter.
I was LMAO when I read #4.I swear the Army has a ribbon/badge/patch/doodad for driving a jeep.

brian0351
03-03-10, 05:30 AM
Don't forget you need your 35 pieces of flair when you join the army!

"I'm not afraid of dying"...I love that saying...as if it's supposed to mean something.

Sure, there is nothing to be afraid of, your dead. However, when you die you'll probably get someone else killed in the process and that's something that should scare you!

Why are you here? What do you want us to tell you? You want us to convince you of what to do? You want to be a motivated ooh-rah killer? Join the army, they have more people and ergo more slots. Competition in the Marines for our SOC units is more fierce because there aren't as many. There you go, you have your answer.

Supersquishy
03-03-10, 05:50 AM
If you want to ship now, then Join the Army.
If you want to wait a year and get pushed back numerous times to ship then go for the Marines.

Thats of course dependant on the econmomy.

rktect3j
03-03-10, 06:25 AM
This kids not been paying attention. I want this, that and oh yeah make me a general while your at it. Not afraid to die?? Not going to be in my fighting hole. Wants to jumpp out of planes probably while he is flying them. Buddy of mine in the Army told me when he joined a certain unit they gave him three ribbons, a patch and some cords. It's better to look good then to feel good theory. The path he outlines looks like some 90 year old lady trying to answer the remote control after the phone rings.

Short answer. The Corps is not for you. Best to go join an Air Force forum for your answers and watch some more youtube of course.

TJR1070
03-03-10, 07:08 AM
Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp.

Really? And you would know that how? Because of your own experience or some sh!t you viewed on youtube? Go away and take your uneducated, unexperienced comments with you before you really pizz me off!:mad:

One more thing it is the Marine Corps Eagle, Globe and Anchor. The eagle we took from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, the rope that surrounds it from the army and on the seventh day when God rested we took the whole damn world

rktect3j
03-03-10, 07:11 AM
And let's see if I really have this correct. You are trying to figure out what is the path of least resistance to becomming what, is in your mind, is the best of the best of the best, right? The easy road to success is it?

AKA HITMAN
03-03-10, 07:24 AM
Army also gives out pretty ribbons for showing up to work on time...Army of one my fat ass.

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 07:37 AM
Still no profile......and you're dissing the Marine Corps on a Marine Corps site. Not to smart.
Take a hike, the Marine Corps doesn't want or need you. :evilgrin:

BR34
03-03-10, 08:03 AM
Well this was both informative and entertaining. Kudos! :thumbup:

cxerphax
03-03-10, 08:57 AM
Good, I am just going to keep training and then try for my dream job of being a PJ. You can keep your Corps. Lol. Ansolutely no Marine job interest me.

cxerphax
03-03-10, 08:59 AM
Also what is this profile you speak of, actually nevermind I will not be returning, keep your Corps. Goodbye

BR34
03-03-10, 09:01 AM
*deuces*

polizei
03-03-10, 09:01 AM
Sweet, have fun playing army men.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 09:18 AM
Also what is this profile you speak of, actually nevermind I will not be returning, keep your Corps. Goodbye

BYE-BYE :flag::evilgrin::usmc:

usmcmsf
03-03-10, 09:29 AM
bye bye little girl

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 09:53 AM

http://images.zaazu.com/img/bye-bye-male-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000155-large.gif

Old Marine
03-03-10, 10:12 AM
Don't forget your teddy bear and your PJ's so they can tuck you in at night. Nighty,Nite.

spotts
03-03-10, 10:21 AM
So the little turd went from wanting to be a Marine to a Ranger to an Air Force PJ. Im sure he will continue to sit home and play Call to Arms on his PS3 and dream......

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 10:24 AM
Are some of you really talking **** to a kid whos probably 16 or 17, if not younger? Grow the **** up, Marines.

Quinbo
03-03-10, 10:25 AM
Dang Smitty you been watching the gummy bear video?

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 10:29 AM
Nah man I'm just ****ing sick of seeing a bunch of NCO's jumping on the hate bandwagon so they can bash someone who was probably just like them when they were his age. we shouldnt be turning people off to the Corps.

Artemis
03-03-10, 10:31 AM
I was LMAO when I read #4.I swear the Army has a ribbon/badge/patch/doodad for driving a jeep.

Actually they do it is the Master Drivers Badge.

sully0331
03-03-10, 10:43 AM
By the way ranger dropout is 60% not 90%. also there is program called Rip which test you for Ranger school. After completion of that you go to airborne and then off to Ranger school. It could take 2 years, 90% of the time it doesn't. Also I agree that every Marine is special however Rangers and Recon are on a whole other calibre of specialness. Those doodads you speak of are things that are earned through intense training that outrivals the standard Marine eagle that is earned after standard bootcamp. I thought that Recon jumps because they go to airborne school. According to the last poster thats not the case. Oh well then.

Listen you f*cktard...what god damn title have you earned in your life? What the f*ck do you know about becoming a Marine or anything else. Sgt also said that was the dropout rate in the first two weeks not the whole time. You need to know how to read to pass the eye exam at MEPS. Your one of those kids who was up all night judging by the time of your post playing call of duty and caught a chubby at what real men do. Sgt and every other Marine will speak to you how we want and call other services whatever we want. Breaking news your in no f*cking service we will do as we please and speak how we want towards them. And yes Recon does get wings but not till the very end of training dont worry your not gonna be "those special guys" you will be special though cause you will be cleaning my weapons or guarding my chowhall.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 10:50 AM
Listen you f*cktard...what god damn title have you earned in your life? What the f*ck do you know about becoming a Marine or anything else. Sgt also said that was the dropout rate in the first two weeks not the whole time. You need to know how to read to pass the eye exam at MEPS. Your one of those kids who was up all night judging by the time of your post playing call of duty and caught a chubby at what real men do. Sgt and every other Marine will speak to you how we want and call other services whatever we want. Breaking news your in no f*cking service we will do as we please and speak how we want towards them. And yes Recon does get wings but not till the very end of training dont worry your not gonna be "those special guys" you will be special though cause you will be cleaning my weapons or guarding my chowhall.
Dude. Get some maturity, ignore him, and stop acting like a god damn boot.

rktect3j
03-03-10, 11:58 AM

You may want to edit that post. He is an active NCO and all. Just a thought here.

TJR1070
03-03-10, 12:17 PM

You better start acting like a Marine yourself young man.

BR34
03-03-10, 12:26 PM
we shouldnt be turning people off to the Corps.

He turned himself off. If some words on a forum bother him so much that he doesn't want to be a Marine then he shouldn't waste his time anyway.

Furthermore, I'm not a recruiter, and I don't come here to try to CONVINCE anyone to be a Marine.

sully0331
03-03-10, 01:30 PM
I dunno about you "SMITTY" but we all earned our f*cking title and are proud of it...if i offended you by making fun of the MOS he would have I apologize you should be as motivated as he is an request a lat move...but dont forget when your discussing with your NCO's and SNCO's dont forget to refer to them as dudes cause thats what we are dudes...and why are you calling me a f*cking boot your probably still ****ing MCT water waiting around in the desert for you computer training to pick up you punk.

RYDERKUR
03-03-10, 01:37 PM
I dunno about you "SMITTY" but we all earned our f*cking title and are proud of it...if i offended you by making fun of the MOS he would have I apologize you should be as motivated as he is an request a lat move...but dont forget when your discussing with your NCO's and SNCO's dont forget to refer to them as dudes cause thats what we are dudes...and why are you calling me a f*cking boot your probably still ****ing MCT water waiting around in the desert for you computer training to pick up you punk.

He's still trying to scrub the stickiness off his rifle from the tape on his rifle at SOI. In your terms Smitty...Dude, you're in a SSP...doesn't make you hard dude. By the way, deploy and replace your motard picture from the jungles of Camp Lejeune SOI, and then talk to the boys like you're one of them.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 01:57 PM
You're the kind of dumb ****s that turn people off to ever wanting to be Marines. You went out of your way to harass a kid who is probably not even out of high school. get over yourself.

And don't ever ****ing try to pull rank on me online you clown. Get off the moto juice retards.

sully0331
03-03-10, 02:05 PM
hahaha RYDERKUR i guess were clowns now huh? SMITTY YOUR A F*CKING BOOT...IM SORRY YOU GET HAZED ALL DAY BECAUSE YOUR A SH*TTY MARINE AND NCO'S CHEW YOU OUT DAILY...AND I UNDERSTAND THIS IS YOUR PLACE TO VENT CAUSE YES RANK DOESNT MATTER ON HERE AND IN PERSON YOU WOULD HAVE YOUR TEETH KICKED THROUGH YOUR F*CKING SKULL

TJR1070
03-03-10, 02:07 PM
FVCK YOU, you little BOOT piece of sh!t. Obviously you were absent the day the taught discipline and respect in boot camp. Being a Marine means being a Marine 24/7 or did you forget that. I'll tell you what you got a problem with me calling you out send me PM and I'll give you my address and we can discuss this in person!!!!

spotts
03-03-10, 02:14 PM
Wow, this string turned ugly quick. Smitty, I hope you realize that members on this board have many connections and can reach out to your command to have your attitude adjusted. Your posts are basically verbal abuse and disrespect toward Marine NCO's. You really need to stand down.

polizei
03-03-10, 02:26 PM
Good thing you're showing the young kid what the Corps is really about...a band of brothers. (rolleyes) good job, disrespect NCO's and SNCO's, I hope you do that in the fleet too. But I'll make a bet and say you probably don't.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 02:29 PM
hahahahahahaa ahhh this is too much. Good lord you mother ****ers must be the most insecure people in the Marine Corps.

"Hazed all day because i'm a ****ty marine and get chewed by NCO's daily?" .....hahahahahaha. I'm not here to prove anything to you, pal. Keep waving your cock around though, you must be impressing somebody.

This is too much fun.

hussaf
03-03-10, 02:44 PM
deleted

TJR1070
03-03-10, 02:50 PM
hahahahahahaa ahhh this is too much. Good lord you mother ****ers must be the most insecure people in the Marine Corps.

"Hazed all day because i'm a ****ty marine and get chewed by NCO's daily?" .....hahahahahaha. I'm not here to prove anything to you, pal. Keep waving your cock around though, you must be impressing somebody.

This is too much fun.

Hey tough guy I am still waiting for your PM!!!!

sully0331
03-03-10, 02:53 PM
your the biggest bag of douche to ever come out Jacksonville NC...I cant wait for someone on here to give you up and some nasty ass salty combat grunts get there hands on you.

rktect3j
03-03-10, 02:57 PM
Unfortunatly I think poolees can read this. Can you guys take this to chestys hooch or something?

Lisa 23
03-03-10, 03:02 PM
Here you go polizei......

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/rollingeyes3.gif

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 03:49 PM
Ahh jesus christ. My bad guys. One of my buddies is at my place and I left my account online. Don't worry, I didn't write any of that belligerent ****. He's a former Marine and he's just ****ing with you guys.

Son of a ***** erased all my damn info too.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 03:59 PM
Stand Down Smitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's 2 Threads Today!!!!!!!!
Did you just say A Former Marine???
Backing out Gently???

I won't tell you Again............

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 04:03 PM
Stand Down Smitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm, I'm pretty sure I just explained myself. If i didnt care about my reputation on these boards (which all those posts seem to show a lack of) I wouldn't come back and explain myself. What would be the point? It's not like any of you could do anything about it anyways.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 04:13 PM
And you call Yourself A Marine......

Nuff Said.......

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 04:18 PM
huh?

Don't try and intimidate me through the internet. I gave you an explanation. You got problem with that then you can take it up with someone who might give a ****. End of story.

spotts
03-03-10, 04:23 PM
I guess you didnt heed my advice that I posted. You will learn eventually.

TJR1070
03-03-10, 04:23 PM
If it wasn't you apology accepted, we can all understand that if you have some sh!tbird staying with you that gets his kicks out of being disrespectful to other Marines and you weren't around that it would be out of your control. No problem.

However if it was you with a wild hair up you azz or because you had a bad day and your pvssy hurts then you better re-evaluate your attitude towards things in general. This may be the internet, some of us may not be in anymore but we are all Marines and we all deserve respect for that, from each other no matter what rank we may be or our status of duty. The Marine Corps is a small place and you are never truly anonymous.

Smitty Puffs
03-03-10, 04:35 PM
I guess you didnt heed my advice that I posted. You will learn eventually.
I don't need someone elses advice to know that I don't take kindly to intimidation.

TJR- Ya he's a dumbass. One too many IED's to his brain housing group haha. Dont worry fella's, I got respect for all Marines.

TJR1070
03-03-10, 04:41 PM
Hey Smitty if that's true be a good friend and make sure he gets the help he needs because it seems the brain housing group got rattled around a bit. If he wasn't all fvcked up and he believes in what he says just tell him my original offer stands.

sully0331
03-03-10, 06:09 PM
Smitty your a lying sack of sh*t man! I looked at your other posts from today and they were all pretty dead on not one was being douchy. Your a f*cking liar it was you and your a p*ssy. You say your LCPL in the Marine Grunts yet your blogging all ****ing day long? And a civilian is staying in your barracks while your not around? Your a piece of sh*t i dont even f*cking believe your in the Grunts bag of ass...get a life and stop getting chubbys listening to real Marines talk.

Quinbo
03-03-10, 06:13 PM
Sully he's a reservist that got dropped into a sta platoon the day he checked in to his unit. Can probably count the number of drills he's been on on one hand. Buffing the hallway and taking out the trash one weekend a month and telling everyone what sniper school is like.

sully0331
03-03-10, 06:16 PM
F*cking clown what a punk...agreed Sgt well said...

Komenko
03-03-10, 08:17 PM
just read all that bullsh!t and all i got to say is WOW!

crazymjb
03-03-10, 10:18 PM
Interesting to say the least. I would have to agree somewhat to a much watered down standpoint with regard to treating the not so informed kids who show up here asking retarded questions with a little bit less hostility, though that doesn't seem usually to be the issue here. I do know it is a large problem on some other not to be named forums.

What was posted if it was in fact to OP was very out of line and reflects poorly on Marines to those looking on to the forum, though continuing the attack back towards him to the extent in a public forum may not have been the best thing either, though emotions can get the best of us. Private Messages do have a purpose though gentlemen, I try to keep this in mind. I'm sure many were sent his way.

I also want to add, with respect, that I don't think by any standards being a reservist makes you a POS.

Mike