PDA

View Full Version : Open contract

ARIA
03-02-10, 11:36 PM
Hello

I am enlisting in the Marine Corps and just took my ASVAB and I still have to take my physical.
But here is my question , my recruiter said all the jobs are full and I will have to enlist with a open contract ( i want to become a MP) but he also said I will not go to Boot Camp with an open contract I will have a guaranteed job.
Is this true or is he just "hustling" me to join.
My apologies for being suspicious but I just wanna be sure that I don't end up with a job that I wont like.
Thank you for your time.

:iwo:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 12:07 AM
Possible. At this point it's a good chance that many (if not all) jobs are spoken for, and the only thing the Marine Corps is accepting at this point are 'Open Contract' folks.

I don't think you are being 'hustled', since there are so many people out there these days wanting to enlist, you'd have to be either an extremely lazy, or extremly inept, Recruiter not to 'make mission'.

In other words, it's more than likely that you are being told the truth. How long are they talking about you being in DEP for?

Totally unrelated...but I have to ask..
Institute of Gemology? As in, they teach you how to grade or cut precious stones? Interesting.

Komenko
03-03-10, 12:09 AM
just wait till october! new fiscal year starts then and MOS fields will be open! and Sgt Lep is right. the recruiter isn't hustling you!

ARIA
03-03-10, 12:18 AM
Oh no I am not like that at all, I have not gotten a date or anything like that yet I just took my ASVAB today(I believe I scored a 73) and have to go in tomorrow to set up a date to take my physical .
October noooo but that is so long.

and Sgt Leprechaun (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=34158) yes they taught me everything that has to do with it from how and where it grows ,the way they grade it ,tell what kind of inclusions it has etc. basically everything that has to do with gems and diamonds from A to Z it was pretty challenging and difficult to be honest.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info. If you can do that, you can certainly do any job in the Marine Corps. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

ARIA
03-03-10, 12:30 AM
Yes sir thank you very much for your help .
Stay safe.

(ow yes i feel bad for using the word hustling i just couldn't come up with a similar word my apologies )

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 12:32 AM
None needed. It didn't seem like a smartazz remark to me but rather an honest question.

spotts
03-03-10, 10:23 AM
If you want to be an MP then make sure you sign a contract to be an MP.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 10:45 AM
Great to see a Good Thread in the "Ask A Marine" Forum.

Semper Fi Marines,
Rocky

ARIA
03-03-10, 11:07 AM
lol, I don't get what you mean RhodeIsland.

Rocky C
03-03-10, 11:17 AM
The Marines Know what I'm saying.
Carry on.......

NCOPOWER
03-03-10, 11:50 AM
I just went to finish my lat move and all of the jobs in the Corps are spoken for. So with that said you will have to go open contract. And I will have to wait to do my lat move another year. Looks like I will be re-enlisting then.

ARIA
03-16-10, 08:11 PM
Hello again,
I just wanted to say that i DEPped (I believe that's the correct way to spell it right ?) in today.
My MOS is Field Artillery Radar Operator, I forgot the code my apologies .

Sgt Leprechaun
03-17-10, 12:19 AM
Outstanding! At least you GOT an MOS! Congrats!

ARIA
03-17-10, 01:09 AM
Thank you very much sir ,how do i change my status to poolee or DEP ?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-17-10, 01:41 AM
No problem. Send a PM to the drifter and it'll be taken care of.

ARIA
03-17-10, 02:13 AM
Yes sir thank you .

Lisa 23
03-17-10, 07:21 AM
Hello again,
I just wanted to say that i DEPped (I believe that's the correct way to spell it right ?) in today.
My MOS is Field Artillery Radar Operator, I forgot the code my apologies .

When's your shipdate to MCRD?

ARIA
03-17-10, 03:06 PM
My shipping date is on 20101115 Mam.

Lisa 23
03-17-10, 05:52 PM
My shipping date is on 20101115 Mam.
Great...and glad that you got the MOS that you wanted! Now use the time between now and then to get yourself into shape, and most importantly, stay out of trouble and no broken bones! :D
Good luck to you! :thumbup:

ARIA
03-17-10, 11:28 PM
Great...and glad that you got the MOS that you wanted! Now use the time between now and then to get yourself into shape, and most importantly, stay out of trouble and no broken bones! :D
Good luck to you! :thumbup:

Yes Mam, thank you

:D

ARIA
04-25-10, 11:37 PM
Alright Marines, leaving tomorrow morning a new life begins :D thank you all for your help.
Ill be back in 3 months

Aria.

Lisa 23
04-25-10, 11:40 PM
Pay attention to your Drill Instructors, and stay strong.....both mentally and physically.
Best of luck to you! :thumbup:

dizark
04-26-10, 05:11 PM
When I enlisted, I signed an open contract at MEPS, and then you go back to your recruiting station and sign your actual MOS contract which then voids your open contract. I was told this is how it is done, and atleast for me, it was.