PDA

View Full Version : Just curious - boot camp in the winter (PI)...

wannabe1993
03-02-10, 03:43 PM
I know if it's particularly cold or drizzly come graduation, the ceremony is held inside instead of out. I was just curious do they still do the motivational run? Or is that the day before? I know this isn't a question of importance, I was just really curious how it all goes down when the weather's bad for graduation/family day. Thanks, Marines.

BR34
03-02-10, 03:49 PM
The moto run is the day before graduation. It will probably have to have lightning out for them to cancel it.

Ruby
03-02-10, 05:14 PM
Yes, they'll still have it. it was windy and wet the day i graduated, so my ceremony was indoors, but the moto run went right on scedule, lol

TJR1070
03-02-10, 05:20 PM
You're going to be a Marine and you are worried about it being cold and drizzling? OK, that's a new one.

TinDragon
03-02-10, 05:35 PM
You're going to be a Marine and you are worried about it being cold and drizzling? OK, that's a new one.
I'm a Marine and although I wouldn't say I'd be worried about it I still don't LIKE it. I don't think it makes you any more of a Marine to enjoy crappy weather. Haha.

wannabe1993
03-02-10, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the answers, Marines, glad to hear it still goes ahead! All due respect though, TJR1070, I was just curious as to whether the motivational run still takes place in cold weather seeing as they have the graduation ceremony inside if it's cold. I couldn't care less whether I go to boot camp in the summer, winter, spring or fall, just as long as I'm there embracing the opportunity! Thanks again,

Phantom Blooper
03-02-10, 05:55 PM
they have the graduation ceremony inside if it's cold.

For the families...not the newly minted Marines.

While in a training status inclement weather....heat(black flag),storms(hurricanes) lightning will just move the training inside the squad bay on a lock down.

Depending on the weather in the fleet in is unit and command discretion on what happens with training and field exercises....

In the FMF.....training went as scheduled unless a hurricane watch or cyclone and now the Tsunami's.

It's a matter of safety....liability and good old common sense.....

But the show must go on!:evilgrin:

TJR1070
03-02-10, 05:58 PM
Tin, I agree I don't think anyone likes it, but it was never what I was concerned about.

Wannabe you will do all your training out in the weather, no matter what the weather. The only reason they have graduation indoors is to make your family more comfortable. I went to P.I. in Dec. '88 and the week we spent in the field at BWT was cold and miserable, but I never worried about that. I was worried about doing what I was told to do, when I was told to do it. Focus on your knowledge and physical fitness before you ship to the toughest recruit training in the world, instead of the weather.

Rocky C
03-02-10, 06:18 PM
I couldn't care less whether I go to boot camp in the summer, winter, spring or fall.

Parris Island 1977- June, July, August. 120 Degrees in the Shade and 100% Humidity.

Now that's MOTO...:evilgrin:

Semper Fi,
Rocky:flag:

Zulu 36
03-02-10, 06:40 PM
Parris Island 1977- June, July, August. 120 Degrees in the Shade and 100% Humidity.

Now that's MOTO...:evilgrin:

Semper Fi,
Rocky:flag:

Rocky, you're such a boot. I was a Sergeant at Camp Pendleton then with six-years in. :D

Come to think of it, it was pretty warm there too. Must have been the Santa Ana winds. Either that or Global Warming, Part One

SGT7477
03-02-10, 07:01 PM
Rocky, you're such a boot. I was a Sergeant at Camp Pendleton then with six-years in. :D

Come to think of it, it was pretty warm there too. Must have been the Santa Ana winds. Either that or Global Warming, Part One
So you were just an old buck?:D

Zulu 36
03-02-10, 07:21 PM
So you were just an old buck?:D

Something like that. I damned sure am now. :beer:

sparkie
03-02-10, 07:28 PM
Summer,,, 1969,,, chrome domes,,,, humidity you could swim in,,,,deer flies leaving blood streaks,,,rain showers every day at 2,,,, hot sand,,,,, soaking wet squadbay floor,,,,,,,more mosquitos while you slept,,,,,,,,, What was winter like? I would like to know.

TJR1070
03-02-10, 07:29 PM
Ummm........ chilly.

Zulu 36
03-02-10, 07:33 PM
Summer,,, 1969,,, chrome domes,,,, humidity you could swim in,,,,deer flies leaving blood streaks,,,rain showers every day at 2,,,, hot sand,,,,, soaking wet squadbay floor,,,,,,,more mosquitos while you slept,,,,,,,,, What was winter like? I would like to know.

Got you at least partly ready for the Nam, tho. The weather part.

fallfast90
03-02-10, 07:44 PM
Always hated the term "fun" run....Kindof like the Mandatory "fun" outings we had to do with the platoon, aka...."MAN-FUN". LOL.

HereandThere
03-02-10, 09:38 PM
Worried about winter in sunny South Carolina vacationing in beautiful Beaufort by the sea. Damn I've been so cold this winter i could be talked into doing a weekend at P.I. right about now. LOL maybe the last weekend,longer if you need a sandbag.

SGT7477
03-02-10, 09:52 PM
Something like that. I damned sure am now. :beer:
We sure don't get any younger.:D

FPM
03-02-10, 10:15 PM
Maybe not younger.... But definitely older & more devious

DanM
03-02-10, 11:32 PM
Winter of 73 at Parris Island......14 inches of snow and the state was closed down for 3 days.

wargrudge
03-09-10, 03:40 AM
When I graduated from MCRD San Diego, we didn't do the moto run because Camp Pendelton was on fire and all the ash and smoke came in our direction. Still had graduation outside though.

Hanzo
03-09-10, 10:06 AM
The MotoRun truely is motivational. Its the first time your family will see you and you know the end is near. You'd be happy to be running circles around the north pole, believe me, you won't notice a little Marine Corps Sunshine.

Supersquishy
03-09-10, 11:12 AM
The MotoRun truely is motivational. Its the first time your family will see you and you know the end is near. You'd be happy to be running circles around the north pole, believe me, you won't notice a little Marine Corps Sunshine.

LOL yeah, I remember the 5 mile moto run around SD, we were so amped up that we were running with happy faces. 2 guys fainted when we went from running to parade rest in front of the Parents and friends.:thumbup:

MCT in the winter was another story...I loved the low crawl through 2 feet of water/mud with sharp jagged ice sheets.

c george
01-08-15, 12:16 PM
arrived at PI the evening of December 15, 1977. graduated boot camp on my 21st birthday. it was not that uncomfortable. I do remember extremely high humidity, a lot of fog and rain. glad I was not there for boot in the summer. I was there for school 30 days after boot camp leave. man it was hotter than hot.

c george
01-08-15, 12:24 PM
I would like to find my sdi her name was j. clark. she was in the mc band and woke us up on grad day playing revelie(sp.?) on her bugle. it was great.

joseywales
01-08-15, 12:49 PM
Five year old thread

josephd
01-08-15, 01:35 PM
Five year old thread

^this^

admin here needs to get on the ball and delete these. Or at least make them searchable but not be able to reply in them any longer.

c george
01-08-15, 04:20 PM
oh I did not look at the dates. let me know if I screw up again will you sgtmaj.? btw what's a thread?