PDA

View Full Version : At the Edge of Enlisting

blackboy9
03-02-10, 01:11 PM
I'm about to enlist in the Marine Corps by May 2010. I took the ASVAB with a score of 75 and some of the jobs offered to me were Data Systems and Electronics. I want to know:

1. What is the highest rank that some one can be enlisted?
2. How is boot camp? (i.e. typical day, workout days, etc.)
3. How is your life being a Marine?
4. Anything else that may help me.

A little about myself: I am married without children, I have my Master's Degree, and approaching my age deadline to be enlisted.

Thanks for your support!

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 01:19 PM
Fill out your profile....if you don't want to provide your last name, a first name will do along with the rest of the info.
Do a search on the site for what boot camp is like; what life in the Marine Corps is like and rank structure.

And read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, also.

FPM
03-02-10, 01:29 PM
If you're enlisting by May, You've been in DEP for a while, maybe a year ? I am really surprised you don't know at least the answers to item's 1 & 2

Something smells fishy

blackboy9
03-02-10, 01:36 PM
If you're enlisting by May, You've been in DEP for a while, maybe a year ? I am really surprised you don't know at least the answers to item's 1 & 2

Something smells fishy

Maybe you're sitting on a boat....

for item 1 I heard that the rank depends on your highest degree earned. Someone says E-3 other says E-4, but I don't know.

for item 2, I can't tell. Otherwise I could call myself a Marine, don't you think?

blackboy9
03-02-10, 01:37 PM
Fill out your profile....if you don't want to provide your last name, a first name will do along with the rest of the info.
Do a search on the site for what boot camp is like; what life in the Marine Corps is like and rank structure.

And read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, also.

Right on it Sir.

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 01:41 PM
OK there wannbe, watch your tone when speaking to Marines.
For item one, you should've said...what is the highest rank one can go to boot camp at with a college degree.
For item two, your recruiter has plenty of info on this and they ususally have a video for wannabes and poolees to watch on what boot camp is like.
You could also use google, along with doing a search on Leatherneck, on Marine Corps boot camp. How hard is that?

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 01:43 PM
Yes....this really pi$$es me off! :evilgrin:

Right on it Sir.

You know...I have an avatar that says "U.S. Marine Corps Woman Marine" and a pic of myself in my profile, along with other info on myself....and I still get called Sir.

And I don't want to hear I'm sorry Ma'am either.

Quinbo
03-02-10, 01:55 PM
http://gracethespot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/891-peppermint-patty.jpg

Lucy shows up every time you turn around.

blackboy9
03-02-10, 02:07 PM
Yes....this really pi$$es me off! :evilgrin:

You know...I have an avatar that says "U.S. Marine Corps Woman Marine" and a pic of myself in my profile, along with other info on myself....and I still get called Sir.

And I don't want to hear I'm sorry Ma'am either.

Yes Ma'am. I'll be careful next time with other Women Marines.

BR34
03-02-10, 02:11 PM
If you've got a Masters Degree and you're looking for the highest possible rank I think you're speaking with the wrong recruiter.

blackboy9
03-02-10, 02:27 PM
If you've got a Masters Degree and you're looking for the highest possible rank I think you're speaking with the wrong recruiter.

Maybe, but since I always look for the best I'm expecting to become a Marine. There are many people talking what they don't know and I just want to clear up some of my doubts.

Rocky C
03-02-10, 02:36 PM
When in Doubt, Speak with a Recruiter............Or many Recruiters if it will ease your mind.

BR34
03-02-10, 02:52 PM
Maybe, but since I always look for the best I'm expecting to become a Marine. There are many people talking what they don't know and I just want to clear up some of my doubts.

My point was maybe you should be speaking to a officer Recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter.

Silentwarrior17
03-02-10, 03:09 PM
I have no degree. Never went to college. Yet somehow I was able to find all of this stuff out from my recruiter before I went to boot. I am dumbfrounded how a person with a masters aswell as into his late 20's is so ignorant about these things. I can expect if from the 17 yr olds but come on....

disclamer : This is just the rant of a Grunt. In no way shape, or form do my views reflect the views of those on the post. LOL

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 03:22 PM
I have no degree. Never went to college. Yet somehow I was able to find all of this stuff out from my recruiter before I went to boot. I am dumbfrounded how a person with a masters aswell as into his late 20's is so ignorant about these things. I can expect if from the 17 yr olds but come on....

disclamer : This is just the rant of a Grunt. In no way shape, or form do my views reflect the views of those on the post. LOL

:thumbup:

Rocky C
03-02-10, 03:37 PM

:D:thumbup::flag:

polizei
03-02-10, 06:06 PM
Lol, and I'm the only one that thinks this stuff is garbage? I wish I could start a thread to address all poolees...but this forum is getting out of hand lately. While there isn't anything as a stupid answer...COME ON.

You say you have a Masters Degree? Well, in my college, and in high school...we learned to search for damn things. Try doing that. And try calling a recruiter.

It was my understanding that, "Ask a Marine" is for specific, serious questions that are not general. Also, I see the same topic probably multiple times a week. You guys are really starting to **** me off.

/Rant

Oh and PS, props to the other Marines who can answer your question, but I cannot. I refuse to type the same **** 20 times a week to people who don't care to follow the rules.

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 06:10 PM
Lol, and I'm the only one that thinks this stuff is garbage? I wish I could start a thread to address all poolees...but this forum is getting out of hand lately. While there isn't anything as a stupid answer...COME ON.

You say you have a Masters Degree? Well, in my college, and in high school...we learned to search for damn things. Try doing that. And try calling a recruiter.

It was my understanding that, "Ask a Marine" is for specific, serious questions that are not general. Also, I see the same topic probably multiple times a week. You guys are really starting to **** me off.

/Rant

Oh and PS, props to the other Marines who can answer your question, but I cannot. I refuse to type the same **** 20 times a week to people who don't care to follow the rules.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/thumbsupwithwink.gif

blackboy9
03-02-10, 07:12 PM
Oohh, my bad. I will then look for it.

My point was maybe you should be speaking to a officer Recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter.

blackboy9
03-02-10, 07:26 PM

I can see that. You should have read the entire post. Maybe the last sentence of post #11. Then you could just saved your post and this one for someone that maybe has received wrong information.

blackboy9
03-02-10, 07:36 PM

/Rant

You know what? You're right. Let me tell you that this afternoon I found a person that I know for years that is a Marine and I spoke with him.
He told me everything the recruiters didn't tell me at all. But why argue with you?, if “arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; you may win, but you’re still retarded.”, anyway you win.

03-02-10, 08:00 PM
You know what? You're right. Let me tell you that this afternoon I found a person that I know for years that is a Marine and I spoke with him.
He told me everything the recruiters didn't tell me at all. But why argue with you?, if “arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; you may win, but you’re still retarded.”, anyway you win.

IF (BIG if) you make it into the USMC, try that attitude out on Marines face-to-face. You'll be taking your meals through a straw, tuff guy.

Lisa 23
03-02-10, 08:22 PM
Blackboy9...you better leave the attitude at the door.
The Marines here try to give the best advice possible to everyone, but when we hear the same questions over and over and over because some show the lack of initiative to search for things themselves "before" asking, well, this is what you get. If you don't like what is being said to you, then don't respond to it...plain and simple.

Again, leave the attitude at the door!

TJR1070
03-02-10, 08:27 PM
Or Just Leave!

ameriken
03-02-10, 08:59 PM
This thread is a joke and the OP has got to be a poser, not a true wannabe.

polizei
03-02-10, 09:02 PM
Look, we aren't the ones asking you to be here. If you don't like it, then leave. And IF you make it into my Corps, god forbid you treat Marines like that. Please, do that...I want you to. Lose the attitude or leave.

FPM
03-02-10, 10:03 PM
Ok Blackboy9 I'll take it 1 step at a time
I see that you did put some info on your profile since I posted.
1) Prior to my post ..... NO Profile= Suspicious Marine
2)Your Avatar shows ...Marine Friend and you state you passed the ASVAD test....Not consistent.. possible DEP I don't know, are you misleading us ?

You smell something yet ??

3) Question 1 (Quote )What is the highest rank one can be enlisted ?

Smarta** answer would have been E-9 ( for you SgtMajor)
however I refrained from making you look stupid.

Correct answer ( since I'm feeling generous) You can be a contract PFC prior to signing ( If they still offer it ?) so assuming you're a contract PFC AND EXCEL at EVERTHING in boot camp you COULD pick-up LcCpl At Graduation, Otherwise consider youself a PVT. or PFC

4) You state a Masters degree.. However you are unable to express yourself in a coherent manner.

getting a little stinky yet ?

Question 2 (quote) How is boot camp?

There are 2 websites you can check, Both will give you the training matrix for MCRDPI & MCRDSD.. With a Masters you should be able to figure out What is physical, What is a classroom instruction, What is training, When you have free time, When you get to see movies, When you can go to the bars in Oceanside or Beufort etc.etc.

Starting to smell bad yet ?

BR34 asked (why enlisted not officer?) good question WITH A MASTERS??
You have yet to answer.

Question 3 (quote) How is your life as a Marine?

Answer : How is your life now ? we are living

Question 4 (quote ) Anything else that may help me?

Answer WHY the h*ll would I answer since you come across as having very little respect for Marines anyway and seem to be hunting for info.
Thank you for your interest :devious:

DanM
03-02-10, 11:16 PM
What is wrong with someone having a Masters degree and wanting to become a Marine grunt?

Quinbo
03-02-10, 11:32 PM
I finally figured it out. It's Marcie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWj6qB41Hhs

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-10, 12:03 AM
Nothing is wrong with it. But I vote this one either "Dumbest wannabee with a Masters Degree this week" or a troll.

Your call.

Oh, and color me unimpressed with whatever school you *might* have graduated from. I thought getting a Masters you had to do a thesis, which required research, sourcing, etc. Perhaps I was mistaken in that.

Either way, your smartazz attitude will get you exactly nowhere, except booted the hell OUT of here.

If, somehow, you manage to enlist without requiring waivers for god knows what, your Drill Instructors will have a FIELD DAY with you.

Please bring that "I'm a frakkin know it all" attitude with you when you check in.

brian0351
03-03-10, 05:37 AM
I love this place :)

Supersquishy
03-03-10, 05:45 AM
Oh, and color me unimpressed with whatever school you *might* have graduated from. I thought getting a Masters you had to do a thesis, which required research, sourcing, etc. Perhaps I was mistaken in that.

LOL that and a few Disertations which do need research and source info.:D

Silentwarrior17
03-03-10, 07:56 AM
"Dumbest wannabee with a Masters Degree this week"...I couldn't agree more with this statement. I do however find it amusing that this punk azz motherfvcker is just running his mouth. The best part of it all is I hope you do enlist. I hope that you somehow find a way to slime your way through boot and somehow manage to slip through the cracks. Then you think that life is great and 'I made it! Everyone is my friend and I'm a Marine now!' Then you get to the Fleet at 29 with a degree and you meet your 'non educated' Sgt of Marines, such as myself, who instead of just going to college for 6 yrs has spent the last 6 yrs with his boots on the ground, dugin just waiting for a fight. And God help you because if you think that the Sgt is bad, you have another thing coming when he introduces you to his Cpl's. See you in the Fleet puzzy.

BR34
03-03-10, 08:13 AM
"Dumbest wannabee with a Masters Degree this week"...I couldn't agree more with this statement. I do however find it amusing that this punk azz motherfvcker is just running his mouth. The best part of it all is I hope you do enlist. I hope that you somehow find a way to slime your way through boot and somehow manage to slip through the cracks. Then you think that life is great and 'I made it! Everyone is my friend and I'm a Marine now!' Then you get to the Fleet at 29 with a degree and you meet your 'non educated' Sgt of Marines, such as myself, who instead of just going to college for 6 yrs has spent the last 6 yrs with his boots on the ground, dugin just waiting for a fight. And God help you because if you think that the Sgt is bad, you have another thing coming when he introduces you to his Cpl's. See you in the Fleet puzzy.

You know, one of my best friends in the MC has his BA and has been working on his Masters for some time now. He's 31 years old, an Cpl, and came in 2 months after me, when he was 28 years old. He's from Zimbabwe, extremely educated, and well liked.

One of my most memorable moments with him was one day when he found his highly educated ass on all fours scrubbing a coffee stain off a laminate floor with some 409 and a hand full of paper towels. :D

I promptly took a picture of him and emailed it around en masse with the title "Here's what a LCpl with a Bachelor's Degree gets in the Marine Corps".

Very funny moment. I must say though, he never expected, or wanted to be treated special because of his education, unlike the original poster of this thread.

Silentwarrior17
03-03-10, 08:44 AM
LOL great story BR. Most of the Marines that I have had that have degrees don't want any special treatment either. I had a CPL that enlisted in his late 20's also. The marine was from Africa and had came to the US for school and just decide to enlist later. He had 2 or 3 different degress. I think they were Law degrees. Dude was a physical freak...I'm talking like 80 pull-ups and a 15 min 3 mile. One of the best Marines I have ever had.

polizei
03-03-10, 08:57 AM
Well, this thread just got a bit more interesting...please continue! I'm assumed now. HA

Supersquishy
03-03-10, 09:07 AM
Well, this thread just got a bit more interesting...please continue! I'm assumed now. HA

Had an Officer flying jets that had a degree in Physical Education...ohh and he joked about it all the time.:sick:

BR34
03-03-10, 09:09 AM
Had an Officer flying jets that had a degree in Physical Education...ohh and he joked about it all the time.:sick:

Those are the ppl that end up managing olympic athletes and sh!t. Big money!

BR34
03-03-10, 09:10 AM
I'm assumed now. HA

You have some gin with your morning coffee? :p

polizei
03-03-10, 11:01 AM
Ha, yea I missed that...It was meant to be "amused" my bad. :p

Supersquishy
03-03-10, 11:20 AM
Those are the ppl that end up managing olympic athletes and sh!t. Big money!

But most end up as PE Teachers in Junior High...Bigger Money!:scared:

BR34
03-03-10, 12:27 PM
But most end up as PE Teachers in Junior High...Bigger Money!:scared:

Smaller shorts. :sick:

brian0351
03-03-10, 11:52 PM
Lol...I knew a LT with a degree in botany! No joke.

We used to run up to him with random plants we'd find around Lejeune and ask him what they were. lol

Supersquishy
03-04-10, 04:44 AM

We used to run up to him with random plants we'd find around Lejeune and ask him what they were. lol

Now thats pushing gay...LOL:call:

sully0331
03-04-10, 08:18 AM

Well said SGT well said he is just another punk a$$ motherf*cker loud mouth call of duty playing b*tch who now wants to play Marine Grunt cause he is good at a video game f*ck these damn clowns

Old Marine
03-04-10, 08:53 AM
OK Marines, now you are seeing what a Drill Instructor puts up with on a daily basis.

Just because someone has a degree in basket weaving,they still might not have the common sense to pour pizz out of a boot before putting it on.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-05-10, 05:31 PM
LOL. When I was in the Air Wing, I knew officers that had degrees in/from the following:

MBA from Harvard
Agronomy (He was made 'Grounds Beautification' officer of the Barracks as an additional duty)
PE (Lots of those)
English
History
Law degrees (lots of those too)

The strangest one was the 'Agronomy' degree though.

Old Marine
03-05-10, 05:46 PM
Sgt. Lep:

Didn't you ever run into any with the Communications Degree, or is that degree only for athletics so they can learn how to speak.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-05-10, 06:44 PM
LOL. Yep, but those were later, in the 90's. LOTS of 'em. That and the good old 'Criminal Justice' degree.

Zulu 36
03-05-10, 10:08 PM

Did he know the correct answers?