PDA

View Full Version : Should I file a claim, or is it a lost cause?

TRAVELJOCKEY
03-02-10, 10:25 AM
I was a reservist who was put on ADSW after 9-11 to pull various security details and to take language tests so I could be deployed later since I spoke target AfPak langauges. During my ADSW I was...

spotts
03-02-10, 12:31 PM
Get an appointment set up with your local VA. Take your discharge papers and all paperwork you have regarding your injury.

oldtop
03-02-10, 12:46 PM
File a claim for service connection immediately...expecially if you were on AD when you were operated on. Contact your local American Legion or VFW for a representative who will help you with filing your claim.

TRAVELJOCKEY
03-02-10, 01:04 PM
Spotts and Top..I appreciate the response <br />
<br />
Problem is my family threw out my copies of my med files while I was in Afghanistan. When they Corps dropped me to IRR they sent my files to Saint Louis...

oldtop
03-02-10, 01:37 PM
No, you're not wasting your time.. all you need is a copy of your DD 214 to show you were on ADSW... You can request a copy of the surgical reports from NPRC. The surgical report will be stored in a seperate file under the hospital name, you'll need to give the name of the hospital and the date of the surgery. You may also have a copy of the surgical report in your med file but not always. The VA will conduct a search for your records, both personnel and medical. If they can't be located you will be informed and can take other steps at that time. Worst comes to worst, you can submit "buddy statements" from friends or family members attesting to you having the surgery while on active duty. The worst thing you can do is give up and go away, that's just what the VA wants! Next worst thing is to handle your claim yourself. Get an accredited representative to assist you with your claim from AL, VFW, or DAV. Good Luck.

TRAVELJOCKEY
03-02-10, 02:05 PM
No, you're not wasting your time.. all you need is a copy of your DD 214 to show you were on ADSW... You can request a copy of the surgical reports from NPRC. The surgical report will be stored in a seperate file under the hospital name, you'll need to give the name of the hospital and the date of the surgery. You may also have a copy of the surgical report in your med file but not always. The VA will conduct a search for your records, both personnel and medical. If they can't be located you will be informed and can take other steps at that time. Worst comes to worst, you can submit "buddy statements" from friends or family members attesting to you having the surgery while on active duty. The worst thing you can do is give up and go away, that's just what the VA wants! Next worst thing is to handle your claim yourself. Get an accredited representative to assist you with your claim from AL, VFW, or DAV. Good Luck.

Thanks top....the DD214 I have is my realease from MOS school and doesnt have my ADSW on it. I asked records at HQ in quantico if they had an updated DD214 and they said my ADSW would not have been on it since the orders were done up by my unit. I contacted my old Admin Chief he pretty much said the same, put is trying to see if he can find the order through other channels. He said since it's 2001 it's way too old. i just contacted NPRC and they said they'll look for my surgical file once I sent the request.

Thanks again

Rocky C
03-02-10, 02:44 PM
Everything you need is right here........ <br />
get on it ASAP!!! <br />
Contact the DAV in your City or Town and they will help you Free of Charge with whatever you Need or Seek <br />
<br />
<br />
http://www.va.gov/ <br />

Sgt Leprechaun
03-02-10, 09:36 PM
GET ON IT NOW! You rate, and the longer you wait....the longer you'll wait.

Riven37
03-05-10, 08:03 AM
IF it is in your SRB I would file all claims that is service connected because the way it looks Obama is trying to get rid of the VA system and placing it under his Health Care overhaul....Just file a claim.

buggoffextco
03-05-10, 08:17 AM
I filed nearly 30 years after the fact and they were able to gather all pertinent information to complete the claim. You can also contact the DAV (Disabled American Vets) Here is a contact for them and he told me if anyone ever needed to feel free and pass his name on. I hope the contact is still good:

Edward L. Hanke
past Cmdr SD Foster Post 76
e-mail pghmtnrnr@comcast.net

jack1227
03-14-10, 01:40 PM
The very first thing to do is contact the &quot;DAV&quot; Disabled American Veterans, and tell them your story. You want to make an appt. with an &quot;NSO&quot; National Service Officer at the closest DAV facility to...

TRAVELJOCKEY
04-16-10, 08:31 PM
Hey Gents,

It was hell in a handbasket but I was able to recover everything. ALL my medical records, my orders that were under 90 days and not on my DD214 and all my ADSW and NOE documentation. It was freaking amazing...but I got it all.

Just filed my claim...we'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks for everyones help.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-10, 08:34 PM
OUTstanding!!!

Now....all you have to do is 'waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiitttttt'.

But have no fear, at the end of it, it'll be a nice, fat, tax free CHECK for ya.

The longer you wait, the more it is. Try not to get discouraged.

advanced
04-18-10, 10:23 AM
Back in the day, 20 years ago, the VA turned us down again and again. I felt like quitting many times, but then the Marine in me came out - To Quit Is To Die, never, ever quit.

When I finally got my 100%, a week later my bank account had an extra $150,000 + in it for tax free back pay.

Don't file your claim yourself, take the advise from the others and use the DAV. They can find anything.

kaelobo
04-30-10, 10:55 AM
maybe you guys known if i can clam this 5thousand dollar emergency room bill i got from a roll over when i was heading to 6 week ptsd therapy ,out of state they gave me travel pay to get there, i was driving but only have lie ability,two antelope ambush me,never got a ticket, any ideas........................usmc

sgt tony
04-30-10, 11:21 AM
You still need to get in the VA medical to get help on your knees. All you need to do is go to a VA hospital and get in the system and they will start treating you.

sgt tony
04-30-10, 11:22 AM
That is call a federal tort claim. and yes you can

kaelobo
04-30-10, 04:05 PM
thanks again tony for the help,.............................usmc