PDA

View Full Version : Need help convincing

johnpsmith84
03-01-10, 02:42 PM
Hey everybody,

Well, I currently go to college, and I am in the NROTC (Marine Option) as a college programmer. For people who are not familiar with the college program, it is just the same thing as being in NROTC, but without the scholarship. Well with these two years gone by, I really feel like this whole Marine Officer thing may not really be for me (and I also think I won't be getting that scholarship). I have been put in small leadership roles and screwed some of them up, but I know that natural, but I believe that I should start from the bottom and work my way up. I really want to enlist, but when I told my dad this decision, he flipped:devious:. He is a former Marine, so I kind of understand where he is getting at where there is a big difference between how officer's and enlisted men are treated. I understand that i can make decisions on my own, but I really want to make my dad see that enlisting is the way for me. So if anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it.

V/R
Johnpsmith84

polizei
03-01-10, 04:56 PM
Where is my rolleyes smiley and popcorn...and WMarine while you're at it...please.

Rocky C
03-01-10, 06:10 PM
Where is Lisa ???

polizei
03-01-10, 06:13 PM
Hell if I know Rocky...I'm still waiting.

Lisa 23
03-01-10, 06:19 PM
Here I am.......http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/waivingsmiley.gif

Rocky C
03-01-10, 06:23 PM
Here I am.......http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/waivingsmiley.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:thumbup:

Lisa 23
03-01-10, 06:23 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/Fun%20Smilies/rollingeyes3.gif

Where is my rolleyes smiley and popcorn

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l305/wmarineluvstaylor/animalbuddiesandcartoons/popcornmachine.jpg

Lisa 23
03-01-10, 06:27 PM
Now...how about filling out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to :thumbup:....and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums while you're at it.

johnpsmith84
03-01-10, 10:35 PM
Sorry bout that, I should have read the rules first

johnpsmith84
03-18-10, 11:52 PM
well....i have a couple of ideas of how to do so.....but can anyone give me some tips?

josephd
03-18-10, 11:55 PM
why do you need you need to convince your dad at all?....your an adult and can make your own decisions. I am sure no matter what route your choose he will be proud

johnpsmith84
03-19-10, 12:22 AM
I know that he'll be proud, because that is what he said, but what really got to me was he said he would be disappointed. Which is kinda weird since he said no matter what he'll be proud of me. Plus it has been in the back of my mind, and its hella annoying.

Granger1
03-19-10, 12:37 AM
Your a man, not a grown man, you become grown when you begin to make your own decisions. If enlisting is for you, then you decide.

spotts
03-19-10, 09:28 AM
Granger hit the nail on the head. If its in your heart to be a Marine then sign the paperwork....

tdrt
03-19-10, 10:22 AM
Enlist then you can go the officer route if you choose. You must follow before you can lead. Gaining experience as an enlisted man will make you a more effective officer.

Phantom Blooper
03-19-10, 10:32 AM
It make no difference...but was your dad...enlisted or an officer?

Ask him why he took the route that he did?

But....regardless you are the one that will have to live with the decision that you make for the length of contract or until you are augmented.

I agree that that no one here can make the decision for you and no one including your dad will have to live with the decision that you make.

Fear is temporary...... Regret is forever.......Choose.....

And then live with your decision......:evilgrin:

Socal2361
03-19-10, 12:56 PM
Enlist then you can go the officer route if you choose. You must follow before you can lead. Gaining experience as an enlisted man will make you a more effective officer.

:thumbup: and a more respected one.

johnpsmith84
11-05-10, 12:57 AM
Evening,
It has been a while since I last been in touch about my situation. I have about a little over a year of college left, and now I have another comment that my father said in the back of my mind. I am fortunate that my parents are paying for my college education, and I respectfully told my dad that I wanted to enlist right after I graduate. Not to my surprise he flipped out and mentioned that if I enlist after college, that he just wasted a crap load of money. To paraphrase, it was along the line of, "paying a ****load of money for a burgerking degree." I know that enlisting for me is the right way, but then it is my dad in the back of mind, ****ed off about my decision. I was just wondering if I am taking the correct path or should I reconsider?

Mxzero
11-05-10, 01:04 AM
Enlisted do stupid stuff all day and little of it having to do with their job. Officers tell them what to do. Seriously, what do you think is a better option?

lcplbagochips
11-07-10, 07:50 PM
Have you finished the bulldog course yet? If you haven't, I would highly advise you finish that out before making any decisions. I haven't done the bulldog course, just plc, but I know that it made me a lot more competent and confident in my ability to lead. I am a reservist, but I will say that a lot of the guys in plc were not priors, and I would follow them any day. Not all of them started out great, but they improved greatly while they were there. Let me know what you think!

TunTvrnWarrior
11-07-10, 08:04 PM
Finish College kid! If you want to go enlisted then, go ahead and do it. But finish college first. You already have 2 years under your belt. Get it done. I repeat..... Finish college. I will say it one more time..... Finish College!!!!!!!!!!

TunTvrnWarrior
11-07-10, 08:11 PM
Well, I should have read the rest of the post before I posted. You are finishing college. Good to go. It is really up to you which route you take. Enlisted or Officer.. your choice.

johnpsmith84
11-08-10, 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was referred to a site (thanks to lava dog) that is a really informative website, which pretty much answers the questions I had. This would also be a great site for people who might be in the same situation that I am in.
http://futurejarheads.webs.com/

DrZ
11-09-10, 08:15 AM
John,
In a nutshell...do what your heart tells you is right. If you spend your life attempting to make everyone around you happy.... you are doomed to failure. I don't care what you decide you want to do...someone will be unhappy with that decision.

Ask your Dad why he enlisted? How he feels about his time in, what he learned, and why he is so opposed to you following in his footsteps?

Leadership is not something most people are born having but is a learned response to a given situation. Learning to lead is like learning to walk. You will fail at first, you will fall sometimes, and other will trip you at times but overall....with every step you make... you learn more and gain more ability.

Go somewhere quiet. Turn off the ipod, phones, and all the other external interference you possibly can and ask yourself, " What is right for me?" Then you will have your answer and your direction of travel will be clear.

Good luck to you.