PDA

View Full Version : My Situation Regarding OCC Application

Shifty540
02-28-10, 07:41 PM
First and foremost, I want to say how excited I am to be putting together my packet for Marine Corps OCC. Since graduating college, I have been working but feel unfulfilled in my job. In the last month I began looking at the military after hearing about the officer commissioning programs. I first spoke with the Army, they were eager to help me in the process. But I just felt they were a little too desperate and the quality of recruits I saw there had me doubting whether that would I would be a good fit. They seemed to lack the discipline or character that I have seen in other branches, especially the Marine Corps.

I contacted my local OSO last week and had my meeting with them on Friday morning. Went well, I explained why I wanted to be an officer in the Marine Corps and came in very well prepared in terms of my research and understanding of the expectations of a Marine Corps officer.

While I am extremely excited, I was told they have a large cabinet of applications and that as a white male I better be damn special. I know I am fit to be an officer based on my morals, ethics, physical fitness and desire to constantly improve myself.

I finished college with a 2.85 GPA and the only extracurricular activities I participated in were Society for Human Resource Management, Intramural Sports, helping with holiday toy drives and attending school athletic events. I am worried that they may view this as a lack of leadership or involvement. While I may not have been involved in many clubs, I was always active for Intramurals, working out, skiing, hiking and other physical activities.

I also will need a waiver for having twice tried marijuana. I tried it twice last year while extremely drunk, probably the stupidest decisions I have ever made and regret immensely. I will write up an extensive letter to explain my actions and how remorseful I am. I could have easily said I never did anything, but one of the things that drew me to the Marine Corps is the Honor, Courage and Commitment. I want to start off on the right foot and that means being honest about my past.

Will a low GPA, lack of major extracurricular activities and experimental marijuana kill my dream to be an officer? I have told my OSO about the drugs and they didn't seem too deterred but I realize they have a ton of applicants. I will have a strong PFT and am willing to do whatever it takes to impress the board.

One last question, regarding references. I have my two professor references put down in the application, as well as work references which will be strong. For my character references what type of people have successful OCC candidates used? So far I have a former co-worker and a detective who can vouch for me. The Army guys were telling me to get people who are public figures like business owners, former military, etc. They even said they could arrange an interview with some high ranking official who could then write me a reference letter. Does the Marine Corps do anything along those lines where a high ranking official can interview someone and then screen them? The character references have me worried as I don't have any high ranking military references who are not directly related to me.

Sorry if this was extremely long, I just want to get this application turned in quickly and for it to be as outstanding as possible!

TinDragon
03-01-10, 07:00 AM
I like that you spent time to explain your situation in depth and with proper grammar, punctuation, and the like. We don't get that too often around here.

I don't think the GPA or lack of extracurriculars should affect you too much. You graduated college, so I'd assume that means you have a degree, and that should do it as far as the Marine Corps is concerned.

As for the marijuana, it's great that you want to be honest about it, but was it ever documented with law enforcement or anything? A popular adage is "If it wasn't documented, it didn't happen." At this point though, since you already told your OSO you might as well continue with it. Lot of my friends with high level security clearance have done drugs more extensively than you, so if they can get a security clearance you should have no problem just joining with it.

This is all coming from enlisted side of course... I would wait for a couple other folks (or at least one officer) to post as well.

TJR1070
03-01-10, 07:06 AM
It sounds like you would have a tough time coming in enlisted with the drug waivers right now, let alone as an Officer.

I would just pick people that you have known for a long time and have respect for to write your character reference letters. Opinions that are real and come from someone who has really known you and has seen you in many different situations should carry more weight than an opinion from someone that has only met you once.

Shifty540
03-01-10, 08:32 PM
None of the drug use was ever documented and I have no history with the law. My driving record is spotless as well. Additionally I have no tatoos or anything that would affect my appearance or demeanor as a Marine Corps candidate.

Hopefully being honest about my past doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. I know the Corps has a ton of applicants, but with dedication and proving my worth they should see that I am determined and will not let some mistakes ruin my chances.

I will just continue to put together the best packet I can, work on my PFT and keep myself out of trouble. I appreciate the input from you guys and would love to hear as many tips and suggestions as possible.

Lisa 23
03-01-10, 09:26 PM
I appreciate the input from you guys and would love to hear as many tips and suggestions as possible.

Yes, this does bother me....how about saying, you Marines, not you guys.

SGT7477
03-01-10, 10:23 PM
Looks like you have alot of wind, talk to a recruiter, Good Luck.